"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 12-18-2005, 09:12 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

I'm a cheesecake idiot...not what you think!

Greetings! This will probably be a good laugh for some of you...

I use a basic cheese recipe (that I like):

2 blocks of cream cheese
16 oz sour cream
cup of sugar
3 eggs
vanilla
lemon zest

I normally make a graham cracker crust (two cups of graham crackers, stick of butter) and I bake the entire thing in a water bath for approx 50 min at 325. I let it sit in the water bath for 30 min and then into the fridge for 5+ hours to set. Yields an attractive, uncracked, light cheesecake.

Now, I tried to get a little interesting and make it with a brownie bottom which calls for the exact same cooking time and temp; so taht's what I did.

NOT NEARLY long enough; it was one big hilarious soupy mess.

SOOOO...would you bake the brownies first, (all the way, half-way?) and then bake the cheesecake? Any suggestions on how to improve this are more than welcome!

Thanks!

Geoff

Old 12-18-2005, 10:00 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Was it a completely different recipe? Or just the brownie part? If you're using the same recipe, with just a new brownie crust, it should have been okay.

Do you cover your spring form with foil before putitng it in the water bath? Did you use a different sour cream or cream cheese?

Old 12-18-2005, 10:10 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalady
Was it a completely different recipe? Or just the brownie part? If you're using the same recipe, with just a new brownie crust, it should have been okay.

Do you cover your spring form with foil before putitng it in the water bath? Did you use a different sour cream or cream cheese?
I used a brownie mix and the same filling. So I'm thinking the brownie makes the whole cake much denser, which might mean baking twice - maybe 30 min for the brownie and then the full 45 min for the cheesecake. Just don't want a repeat of last time!!!!!

I don't cover the cheesecake while I bake it!
Old 12-18-2005, 10:22 AM   #4
Head Chef

Here are 2 different approaches I think would work ...
1 - bake your brownies in a separate pan. When cooled, cut them out of the pan and press into the bottom of your spring form, the same way you press your graham crust into the pan (into the bottom, up the sides, etc...). Wrap and bake
OR
2 - Blind bake your brownies till 1/2 done, in the spring form pan like you would a pie crust. Because you are baking in a water bath, the rebake to get your filling cooked shouldn't over cook the brownies.

Good Luck!
(PS ... I don't cover mine either when cooking)
Old 12-18-2005, 10:24 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMediger
Here are 2 different approaches I think would work ...
1 - bake your brownies in a separate pan. When cooled, cut them out of the pan and press into the bottom of your spring form, the same way you press your graham crust into the pan (into the bottom, up the sides, etc...). Wrap and bake
OR
2 - Blind bake your brownies till 1/2 done, in the spring form pan like you would a pie crust. Because you are baking in a water bath, the rebake to get your filling cooked shouldn't over cook the brownies.

Good Luck!
(PS ... I don't cover mine either when cooking)
Awesome suggestions! TY! I think I'll try your second suggestion first. I'm doing this tonight and eating tomorrow - so I'll be sure to let you know!

Geoff
Old 12-18-2005, 02:25 PM   #6
Executive Chef

I don't know the answer to combining two different recipes, as I have no idea how it would turn out. A suggestion is to go with a new recipe. Here is one for Cheesecake Topped Brownies submitted by Raine:

Cheesecake Topped Brownies
Old 12-18-2005, 02:28 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish
I don't know the answer to combining two different recipes, as I have no idea how it would turn out. A suggestion is to go with a new recipe. Here is one for Cheesecake Topped Brownies submitted by Raine:

Cheesecake Topped Brownies
I might try that one too, I'm on a quest ;) Thank you
Old 12-20-2005, 05:08 AM   #8
Cook

Cake-based cheesecakes

Check out:
Junior's Famous No. 1 Cheesecake

http://www.wchstv.com/gmarecipes/jun...eesecake.shtml

It has sponge cake as a base. Perhaps it will give you a few pointers.....
Old 12-24-2005, 11:12 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by auzzi
Check out:
Junior's Famous No. 1 Cheesecake

http://www.wchstv.com/gmarecipes/jun...eesecake.shtml

It has sponge cake as a base. Perhaps it will give you a few pointers.....
I made this one last night and unveiled it today - it looks excellent.

Just a few differences. This one browned nicely on the top and used double the amound of cream cheese and no sour cream. Seems much denser. We'll see how I like the sponge cake. I will post more after we feast tonight. Merry Christmas to all... STILL HAVEN'T made the one with the brownie on the bottom...can't get too fat!
Old 12-24-2005, 02:56 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

I have made a couple of cheesecake recipies that have a brownie crust. And yes, all of them require blind baking the brownie portion about halfway through before adding the cheesecake batter.

I have also found these type of cheesecakes to be a bit better if you let them sit for 24 hours before serving. It allows the brownie portion to absorb a bit of moisture from the cheesecake. Otherwise, it can be a little tough if served too soon.

The one exception I have found to that is if I have used a package of Jiffy brownie mix. It never seems to cook up tough, and it's the perfect size for the bottom of an 8 or nine inch cheesecake.

Tags
None