I'm a cheesecake idiot...not what you think!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChefGeoff

Assistant Cook
Greetings! This will probably be a good laugh for some of you...

I use a basic cheese recipe (that I like):

2 blocks of cream cheese
16 oz sour cream
cup of sugar
3 eggs
vanilla
lemon zest

I normally make a graham cracker crust (two cups of graham crackers, stick of butter) and I bake the entire thing in a water bath for approx 50 min at 325. I let it sit in the water bath for 30 min and then into the fridge for 5+ hours to set. Yields an attractive, uncracked, light cheesecake.

Now, I tried to get a little interesting and make it with a brownie bottom which calls for the exact same cooking time and temp; so taht's what I did.

NOT NEARLY long enough; it was one big hilarious soupy mess.

SOOOO...would you bake the brownies first, (all the way, half-way?) and then bake the cheesecake? Any suggestions on how to improve this are more than welcome!

Thanks!

Geoff

Was it a completely different recipe? Or just the brownie part? If you're using the same recipe, with just a new brownie crust, it should have been okay.

Do you cover your spring form with foil before putitng it in the water bath? Did you use a different sour cream or cream cheese?

marmalady said:
Was it a completely different recipe? Or just the brownie part? If you're using the same recipe, with just a new brownie crust, it should have been okay.

Do you cover your spring form with foil before putitng it in the water bath? Did you use a different sour cream or cream cheese?

I used a brownie mix and the same filling. So I'm thinking the brownie makes the whole cake much denser, which might mean baking twice - maybe 30 min for the brownie and then the full 45 min for the cheesecake. Just don't want a repeat of last time!!!!!

I don't cover the cheesecake while I bake it!

Here are 2 different approaches I think would work ...
1 - bake your brownies in a separate pan. When cooled, cut them out of the pan and press into the bottom of your spring form, the same way you press your graham crust into the pan (into the bottom, up the sides, etc...). Wrap and bake
OR
2 - Blind bake your brownies till 1/2 done, in the spring form pan like you would a pie crust. Because you are baking in a water bath, the rebake to get your filling cooked shouldn't over cook the brownies.

Good Luck!
(PS ... I don't cover mine either when cooking)

JMediger said:
Here are 2 different approaches I think would work ...
1 - bake your brownies in a separate pan. When cooled, cut them out of the pan and press into the bottom of your spring form, the same way you press your graham crust into the pan (into the bottom, up the sides, etc...). Wrap and bake
OR
2 - Blind bake your brownies till 1/2 done, in the spring form pan like you would a pie crust. Because you are baking in a water bath, the rebake to get your filling cooked shouldn't over cook the brownies.

Good Luck!
(PS ... I don't cover mine either when cooking)

Awesome suggestions! TY! I think I'll try your second suggestion first. I'm doing this tonight and eating tomorrow - so I'll be sure to let you know!

Geoff

auzzi said:
Check out:
Junior's Famous No. 1 Cheesecake

http://www.wchstv.com/gmarecipes/juniorsfamouscheesecake.shtml

It has sponge cake as a base. Perhaps it will give you a few pointers.....

I made this one last night and unveiled it today - it looks excellent.

Just a few differences. This one browned nicely on the top and used double the amound of cream cheese and no sour cream. Seems much denser. We'll see how I like the sponge cake. I will post more after we feast tonight. Merry Christmas to all... STILL HAVEN'T made the one with the brownie on the bottom...can't get too fat!

I have made a couple of cheesecake recipies that have a brownie crust. And yes, all of them require blind baking the brownie portion about halfway through before adding the cheesecake batter.

I have also found these type of cheesecakes to be a bit better if you let them sit for 24 hours before serving. It allows the brownie portion to absorb a bit of moisture from the cheesecake. Otherwise, it can be a little tough if served too soon.

The one exception I have found to that is if I have used a package of Jiffy brownie mix. It never seems to cook up tough, and it's the perfect size for the bottom of an 8 or nine inch cheesecake.

found it

MICROWAVE UPSIDE DOWN DOUBLE CHOCOLATE CHEESECAKE
FUDGE BROWNIE BATTER
2 oz Chocolate
1/2 c Butter.
2 Eggs,
1 c Sugar
1 ts Vanilla
1/2 c Flour,
1/4 c Chopped walnuts,
FILLING:
1 c Semisweet chocolate chips
1/3 c Milk
24 oz Cream cheese,
1 c Sugar
4 Eggs
2 tb Vanilla
CHOCOLATE GANACHE
1 1/2 c Chocolate chips
1/3 c Whipping cream.
2 tb Vanilla
2 tb Corn syrup.
In microwave-safe glass bowl, melt chocolate chips with milk in microwave oven on high (100%) power 1 to 1 1/2 minutes or until smooth when stirred. Set aside. Meanwhile, in large bowl of electric mixer, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs until well blended. Beat in melted chocolate mixture and whiskey until thoroughly blended. Spoon into buttered 9-inch springform pan. Bake in preheated 400-degree oven 15 minutes; reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees and continue baking 15 minutes. Remove from oven and carefully spoon on Fudge Brownie Batter evenly, starting at edges and working toward center. Return to 350- degree oven and bake another 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out almost clean. Cool completely; refrigerate until thoroughly chilled. Remove sides of pan from cake. Spread Chocolate Ganache evenly over top of cake. Return to refrigerator and chill until ganache is set. Makes 1 cheesecake, 10 to 12 servings. Fudge Brownie Batter In large microwave-safe glass bowl, combine 2 squares (1 ounce EACH) unsweetened chocolate with 1/2 c (1 stick) butter. Microwave on high (100%) power 1 to 1 1/2 minutes or until smooth when stirred. Beat in 2 eggs, 1 c sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla until thoroughly blended. Stir in 1/2 c flour, blending well. Stir in 1/4 c chopped walnuts, if desired. Spread evenly over partially baked cheesecake. Chocolate Ganache In large microwave-safe glass bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips and 1/3 c whipping cream. Microwave on high (100%) power 1 to 1 1/2 minutes or until smooth when stirred. Stir in 2 tb Jack Daniel's whiskey and 2 tb corn syrup. Refrigerate until mixture thickens to spreading consistency. Spread evenly over top of brownie topped cheesecake.
CINDERELLA CHEESECAKE
BROWNIE CRUST:
3 oz Unsweetened Chocolate Chopped
1/4 c Unsalted Butter -cut in sm Pieces
1/2 c Flour
1/8 ts Baking Powder
2 Eggs
1 c Light Brown Sugar -firmly Packed
1 1/2 ts Vanilla
2 oz Semisweet Chocolate -Finely chopped
FILLING:
8 oz Cream Cheese -softened
1/2 c Light Brown Sugar -firmlyPacked
3 Eggs
1/2 c Sour Cream
1 1/3 c Creamy Peanut Butter
1/4 c Flour
TOPPING:
3/4 c Sour Cream
3 ts Sugar
For the crust: Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9-inch springform pan. Dust with flour. Melt unsweetened chocolate and butter in small saucepan over low heat. Cool. Beat eggs and sugar in medium bowl until slowly dissolving ribbon forms when beater are lifted, about 4 minutes. Beat in melted chocolate mixture, vanilla, and chopped chocolate. Add flour and baking powder. Mix until just blended--do not overbeat. Spread 1 cup brownie batter over bottom of pan. Bake until firm, about 17 minutes. Cool baked crust in freezer for about 15 minutes. Maintain oven temperature.
For the filling: Blend cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add eggs and sour cream. Add peanut butter and flour. Using small knife, spread remaining brownie batter around the sides of the pan, sealing batter to bottom crust. Pour in filling, which will not be as high as brownie batter. Bake until center of cheesecake is gently set and brownie sides have fallen to form a ring around the filling. (About 50 minutes)
For topping: Blend sour cream and sugar. Spread on top of cheesecake to within 3/4 inch of edge. Bake cheesecake 3 more minutes.

Pumpkin/caramel/toffee cheesecake

This is scrumptious and easy! a bit time-consuming but well worth your time. Found it years ago somewhere online and added the option of caramel topping. I know pumpkin sounds a bit weird for a cheesecake...but oh my, it's always just gobbled up! I had to hand out 8 recipes to people the first time I did it.

Pumpkin Toffee Cheesecake

Estimated Times
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 1 hr, 15 mins

Ingredients

1 Recipe For Crust:

1 3/4 cups (about 1 and 1/2 sleeves) shortbread cookies, crushed (I use Lorna Doone)
2-3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted

1 Recipe For Cheesecake:

3 packages (8 oz. each) cream cheese, softened
1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
1 can (15-oz.) LIBBY'S 100% Pure Pumpkin
1 can (5 fl.-oz can) CARNATION Evaporated Milk
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup crushed toffee candies, (about 25 to 30)

1 Recipe For Topping:
1 cup (8 oz. container) sour cream, at room temperature
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (or dashes of Amaretto)

Caramel ice cream topping (optional)

Directions
PREHEAT oven to 350° F.
FOR CRUST
COMBINE cookie crumbs and butter in small bowl. Press onto bottom and 1-inch up side of 9-inch springform pan.
BAKE for 6 to 8 minutes (do not allow to brown). Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes.
FOR CHEESECAKE
BEAT cream cheese and brown sugar in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add pumpkin, evaporated milk, eggs, cornstarch and cinnamon; beat well. Pour into crust.
BAKE for 60 to 65 minutes or until edge is set but center still moves slightly. Remove from oven; top with toffee candy pieces.
FOR TOPPING
COMBINE sour cream, granulated sugar and vanilla extract in small bowl; mix well. Spread over warm cheesecake.
BAKE for 8 minutes. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight. Remove side of springform pan. Drizzle with caramel topping before serving.

Yield Size: 16 servings

The brownie crust might be partially baked first. To preserve its fluff you should leave it in the pan you baked it in. You might also consider an oatmeal raisin cookie crust as well.

Back
Top Bottom