"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes
Old 04-08-2006, 05:20 PM   #1
Master Chef
ISO Cheesecake topping ideas

I'm making a plain cheesecake for Easter dinner and want to have a couple of toppings for people to choose from, but I can't decide what. I'd rather not do the standard chocolate syrup or fruit toppings. Any ideas? I'm open to different crusts, too (i.e. standard graham, shortbread, gingersnap, etc.), if you have a good combo.

-A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand
PA Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 05:32 PM   #2
Senior Cook
I make lemon cheesecake with gingersnap crust but you could do a plain and have lemon curd topping. I usually think of a topping as being in the fruit catagory like cherries jubilee, raspberry puree, pearches, etc. A nice carmel with nuts would be good. Chopped up praline or Eng. toffee.

Swann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 09:00 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef
I've used vanilla wafers in place of graham crackers. Don't grind them too fine.

Our favorite is fresh blueberry topping.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 01:12 AM   #4
Executive Chef
My mom makes a pumkin cheesecake with a pine nut crust. I can ask her about it if it interests you.
"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings." http://aidancallum.blogspot.com/
corazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 01:17 AM   #5
Executive Chef
I don't think you would want to do it for a holiday meal, but for an everyday meal, I like the one made in the blender - I think it is on the Bisquick box. It makes its own crust (sort of). I usually just add sugar to strawberries and put that over the top after it has chilled. But many kinds of pie fillings lend themselves to a wonderful topping for cheesecake. Fresh raspberries with a bit of raspberry preserves to blend are fine too. If I'm having chocolate with my cheesecake, I like it included before baking.
Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 03:27 AM   #6
Senior Cook
Few things taste better on a cheesecake than marionberries. But unless you live in Oregon (the only place in the world they grow) they can be somewhat hard to find. If you do, however...that'd be my vote.
Poppinfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 01:30 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Andy M.
I've used vanilla wafers in place of graham crackers. Don't grind them too fine.
Your post inspired me to get a box of vanilla wafers today since I have a coupla blocks of cream cheese languishing in the fridge. Never tried them as a cheesecake crust before, but sounds good.

I'm guessing you don't need to add the sugar, eh?
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 03:12 PM   #8
Master Chef
The only thing that I have done other than the fruits, is, caramel topping. I buy the smuckers ice cream topping, but, it's kinda runny, maybe you can melt caramels with cream to make it more solid.
texasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 07:59 PM   #9
Executive Chef
A topping or the crust could be crumbled macaroons. Just bought some chocolate brownie nut macaroons that are dee-lish.

Crushed Heath Bars

Toasted coconut/macaroons

crushed nuts - macadamia, pistachio, walnuts

Slivered Almonds

Caramel or butterscotch sundae sauce (TG beat me to it)

Chocolate curls/shaved chocolate

crushed chocolate graham crackers or Oreos

Another thought: Can you incorporate lemon, lime or orange zest into the crust?
mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 10:55 AM   #10
Assistant Cook
Flavored biscotti or nutter butter cookies makes a dynamite crust. You could pour fudge ice cream topping on top, sprinkle broken reeses peanut butter cups, dollops of stable whipped cream with cherries on top.

exactly150 is offline   Reply With Quote