"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 06-15-2006, 01:53 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Question ISO Tasty Shortcake

I have a bunch of strawberries.. and want to make strawberry shortcake..but every recipe I ever had.. it was really not very tasty... anybody have a tasty shortcake recipe?.. would be great if it was just a recipe for 2 people.. but if not I can cut down.. thank you!

Old 06-15-2006, 03:20 PM   #2
Head Chef

Here in Missouri, some of us make shortcake with pie crust instead of biscuits or sponge cake.

Use your favorite pie crust recipe. The last time I made shortcake, I used half Crisco and half butter. I cut the Crisco into the flour til it was very fine, then I grated the butter into that mix, using the grater with the big holes. Forgot to mention I froze the butter hard before trying to grate it. Stir gently together, with just enough water to make it stick.

Rolled it out, sprinkled it with Demarara sugar, cut it into pretty shapes (stars and moons this time). Flakiest pie crust I ever made, and the sugar added a very nice crunch.

Pie crust on the bottom, berries and whipped cream in the middle, and a pretty piece of crust on top.

Old 06-15-2006, 11:15 PM   #3
Head Chef

No shortcake recipe...but here's our pound cake recipe that we use under berries...

POUND CAKE

CREAM TOGETHER:
1 CUP (2 STICKS) BUTTER OR MARGARINE
1/2 CUP SHORTENING
3 CUPS SUGAR

ADD:
5 EGGS BEATING WELL

ADD:
1 CUP MILK
2 TABLESPOONS VANILLA

ADD
3 CUPS FLOUR
1 TEASPOON SALT

BAKE AT 325' FOR ABOUT 40 MINUTES.
Sorry about the caps...it was a copy and paste.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:09 PM   #4
Senior Cook

I always use my biscuit recipe for shortcake except I add 1/4 C sugar to dry ingred. You can make a batch of biscuits and freeze those you do not use. A nice dollop of whipped cream on top! Personaly I do not like cake for the shortcake.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:25 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Hmmm never thought about using pound cake.. or adding sugar to biscuit recipe.. thank you for the ideas :)
does that just make one cake? do you put it in a loaf pan?
Old 06-17-2006, 10:14 PM   #6
Head Chef

I just use a 9x13x2 pan...but see no reason you couldn't use a loaf pan...however...you might have to bake it a little longer.
Old 06-18-2006, 02:42 PM   #7
Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to darlenemt08
I never thought about using pound cake in place of shortcake. I've got a great recipe that allows me to use different flavorings to make a variety of flavored pound cakes. Whenever I make pound cake, I put it into mini loaf pans. Since it's just my sister & I, it's easier to eat up the mini loaves. I freeze my mini loaves for eating later on.

Darlene
Old 06-19-2006, 04:10 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by darlenemt08
I I've got a great recipe that allows me to use different flavorings to make a variety of flavored pound cakes. Whenever I make pound cake, I put it into mini loaf pans. Since it's just my sister & I, it's easier to eat up the mini loaves. I freeze my mini loaves for eating later on.

Darlene

would you share that recipe?? sounds good!
Old 06-19-2006, 07:46 PM   #9
Head Chef

I made this in loaf pans today. It took 2 9xx5x3 pans...and took a little over an hour to bake. Just thought I'd let you know!
Old 06-19-2006, 09:49 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Debbie, I've never made shortcakes before. Usually I buy the packaged ones at the market for little strawberry shortcakes. These lemon-blueberry shortcakes with lemon cream look very good.

http://www.homebaking.org/recipes/le...rryscakes.html

Tags
None