"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 01-15-2011, 09:25 AM   #21
Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
This is a savoury cheesecake:

Recipe Details

K.
yummy! I love savoury "cheesecake." I do one w. a mushroom duxelle that is OMG so good.

Old 01-15-2011, 03:28 PM   #22
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumblebee View Post
yummy! I love savoury "cheesecake." I do one w. a mushroom duxelle that is OMG so good.
Recipe please!

Old 01-15-2011, 03:45 PM   #23
Master Chef

Skittle, I also prefer a not so dense cheesecake. New York style cheesecake does nothing for me. I do a limited amount of baking, although I modestly say I'm a pretty dang good cook.

I'd be very interested to hear about this cheesecake, and also to know about what changes you made to the recipe. Good luck, and a hearty welcome to Discuss Cooking. Stick around, you'll like it here.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:55 PM   #24
Sous Chef

I ended up using 1 cup heavy whipping cream and 3/4 cup sour cream. Otherwise I followed the recipe exactly. The flavor and texture was WONDERFUL! Only thing I didn't like was that the top was a little dark. I made the water bath in a 9" cast iron pan, which holds a lot of heat, so next time I might turn the oven off after an hour and let the water continue cooking it for a half hour-forty-five min. The comments I got about it were "too good", "sinful" and it was gone after about 10 minutes. It has a light airy texture because of the beaten egg whites, but is still rich like new york style. Definitely will use this recipe again. I might up the sour cream to a full cup next time though, as wasn't quite "custardy" enough for me. But I definitely give it 4 stars. Yum!
Old 01-15-2011, 08:20 PM   #25
Master Chef

Thanks so much for the detailed report Skittle. It sounds like the perfect cheesecake for me. I've printed out the recipe, and made notes of your changes and suggestions. Like I said, I hardly ever bake but would love to make this. You just made yourself a great reputation in my book.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:50 AM   #26
Senior Cook

Try replacing the sour cream with yougurt. I tried it once and ended up with a very light cheesecake and a sliightly sour taste.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:00 PM   #27
Sous Chef

Oh, forgot to mention that it was a little hard to cut because it was so soft if really stuck to the knife. Next time I might use a greased knife or something. It held together in slices really well, but having it stick to the knife made the edges look a little messy.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:08 PM   #28
Head Chef

Place your knife in hot water between each slice and you should have no problem...
Old 01-16-2011, 07:09 PM   #29
Sous Chef

Thanks, I'll have to try that! :)
Old 01-17-2011, 12:34 PM   #30
Master Chef

many people, myself included, love the dense and firm New York style cheesecake. But it was from these boards that I learned a little trick. If you cook, say for example, the cheesecake recipe I posted earlier according to the directions, you get that firm, dense cheesecake. But if you cook it until it still giggles a bit when it's shaken, the result will be a very creamy and smooth cheesecake. Also, I took the original recipe and added an extra cup of cream to it to maintain the classic flavor, while still making it more creamy and light.

Now you have to remember, there really is no such thing as a light cheesecake. It still ahs the same amount of calories no matter the texture as the ingredients are the same. But the mouth feel changes.

If you like a tangier flavor, reduce the cream cheese by half, and replace with cottage cheese of the same amount that has been either forced through a fine-mesh sieve, or blended.

I have a host of different cheesecake recipes including Hollywood Cheesecake, that has the flavor of orange infused into it, no-bake cheesecakes that use gelatin, plus many more. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll share them.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of teh North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
other, recipe

Opinions on this cheesecake recipe? Does this look like a good cheesecake recipe? I like lighter fluffier cheesecake.* Ingredients 1 1/2 tablespoons butter 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs 12 ounces cream cheese 3/4 cup white sugar 4 eggs 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 cups heavy whipping cream Directions Grease an 8 inch springform pan thickly with butter. Turn pan on its side, place a few graham cracker crumbs in pan and shake so crumbs stick to sides. Keep turning and add crumbs as needed until sides are well coated. Set pan upright and coat bottom of pan. Put pan into freezer for 30 minutes or refrigerator for 2 hours. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). With electric beater, mix cream cheese, sugar, egg yolks, flour, vanilla, and salt. Beat thoroughly and then turn mixer to slowest speed and slowly pour in the cream. Beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry. Add to the above mixture and fold the whites in by hand, lightly but thoroughly. Pour mixture into the crumb-lined pan. Set pan into shallow pan containing 1 inch hot water and bake at 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) for 1 1/2 hours. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours before serving. 3 stars 1 reviews