"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 11-17-2004, 02:29 PM   #1
Everymom

Orange Poppyseed Cake

1 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
1 cup sour cream*
2/3 cup poppy seeds
1/2 cup orange juice
2 tbsp orange zest
2 tsp vanilla*
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp double acting baking powder*
1/2 tsp baking soda

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time. Add sour cream, poppy seeds, orange juice, zest and vanilla. Stir in sifted dry ingredients and mix well.

Pour into a large buttered and floured tube pan (or two loaf pans) and bake at 350 for 40 minutes or until done. Let stand 5, invert onto a rack and let cool completely. Dust with confectioner's sugar.*

*Ok, these mark my changes. I used vanilla yogurt, so no sour cream or vanilla flavouring added. I used regular baking powder...just more as per crewsk instructions. Once cooled I glazed the cake with an icing sugar and lemon juice paste and drizzled it all over while the cake was still warm. Taste test not yet done as I am too full from lunch. Will taste with afternoon tea.

Old 11-17-2004, 02:31 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Daughter will love this, Alix. thanks for the recipe.

Old 11-17-2004, 02:35 PM   #3
Everymom

Welcome. I have another one I am trying out next week. Looks even easier. Calls for a lemon cake mix and vanilla instant pudding. I am not sure if I have those in the house right now so it will have to wait a week.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:40 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Every cake I have made that calls for pudding mix has usually turned out great. I predict success for you next week!
Old 11-17-2004, 04:04 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Orange Poppyseed Cake

Thanks Alix for sharing the recipe. Sounds wonderful and I do hope you will let us know how you liked it. Also interested in the lemon. Wish I had slice right now. Cup of tea would go great. Enjoy.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:56 PM   #6
Everymom

OK...nice and moist. Dense without being "break your foot if you drop it dense". Goes nicely with some White China Tea. Mmmmmmmmmmm! If I could share with y'all I would. Better come quick though...kids get home in 20 minutes.
Old 11-17-2004, 05:50 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Well, now you did it. Have to make it soon as possible but you have to tell me White China Tea never heard of it. Or is the tea in white china? Sounds wonderful if that is the name. Who makes it? Do you add cream and sugar to the tea? I like to know what others prefer than I like to experience the same pleasure they do. Thanks and your children will love you for it. Brings back fond memories.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:16 PM   #8
Head Chef

Alix, that cake sounds wonderful! My family is going to enjoy this one, too!

ITK, "white tea" is a misnomer, since it certainly isn't white. It's a brit brew, dark and almost sweet. But unlike most teas, it isn't "processed", but sun-dried and hand-picked. Loverly stuff with cream!
Old 11-17-2004, 06:53 PM   #9
Everymom

My China White tea is made by Stash. I got a lovely box of tea from a couple of friends as a pick me up, and I must say...it is SUCH a cool thing.

OK, being a bit of a geek, I make notes on all the new teas I try out. I wrote that this one has a lovely amber colour and is very mellow and a tiny bit sweet. It is almost a cross between a green and early black tea. There is no aftertaste at all. No bitterness either. I would highly recommend it. I never use milk or sugar, again...the purist geek thing...but I think it would go very well. This tea was my choice for this cake because it was less aggressive and I would be able to savour the orange flavour of the cake.

OK folks, now you now the true geekiness I hide from the world. ;)
Old 11-17-2004, 07:21 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I do hate to be a pain, but I checked the name Stash on Yahoo and now they have confused me with something called white and red fusion. Would you be specific in what I should order? I am sorry about details but I have ordered something on line before and when didn't like it what do you do? Thanks for understanding and since you are as you say 'geek' about teas I trust your advice. Thanks again

Tags
None