My honey & orange zest cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xocolatl

Senior Cook
The Jewish new year is soon upon us (Rosh hashana) and this cake is always a favorite on the seasonal table. I am not from Jewish origins myself, but some of my dear friends are and this recipe is wonderful and absolutely my favorite cake recipe.
1664466061329.jpg

Ingredients:
170 g of honey of your choice, I prefer a darker stronger tasting one to not lose the flavor in the cake.
85 g of golden syrup
2 beaten eggs
140 g unsalted butter
200 g of self raising flour
zest of 1 orange
1 tsp cinnamon
3 drops vanilla essence
Pinch of salt

Method:
1) Preheat the oven to 180 celcius/upper and lower heat.
2) Pour the honey, syrup and butter into a sauce pan. Add a tbsp of water and slowly simmer until the butter melts (make sure not to boil the mixture), then stir through and take off the heat. Let cool.
3) Mix the flour with the orange zest, cinnamon, vanilla and pinch of salt. Then add the syrup and the eggs and mix to a shiny batter.
4) Pour mixture in a lined cake tin and bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown.
5) Goes very well with a cup of earl grey tea.

Do you happen to know the composition of the self raising flour that you use? I know that to make a substitute, the recipe for English self-raising flour is not exactly the same as the recipe for US self-rising flour.

Last edited:
What size bundt pan is that? And what do you line it with?

Do you happen to know the composition of the self raising flour that you use? I know that to make a substitute, the recipe for English self-raising flour is not exactly the same as the recipe for US self-rising flour.
That's a good question. I didn't know the recipe for self rising flour was different.

Do you happen to know the composition of the self rising flour that you use? I know that to make substitute, the recipe for English self-raising flour is not exactly the same as the recipe for US self-rising flour.
That's a good question. I didn't know the recipe for self rising flour was different.
I think the English one doesn't have any salt. But, I don't know if it's the same all over Europe. I don't know which countries get their self-raising flour from England or if they make their own to the same or a different recipe.

Note the slightly different name on the other side of the pond. Self-rising on the left side of the pond and self-raising in England and wherever Xocolatl is getting hers.

LOL - good one taxy!

Raise if something else does it. Rise if it does it by itself.

and they are correct in both cases when it comes to baking.

as a baker, you will cause it to raise

that ingredient causes it to rise

The Jewish new year is soon upon us (Rosh hashana) and this cake is always a favorite on the seasonal table. I am not from Jewish origins myself, but some of my dear friends are and this recipe is wonderful and absolutely my favorite cake recipe.
View attachment 65843
Ingredients:
170 g of honey of your choice, I prefer a darker stronger tasting one to not lose the flavor in the cake.
85 g of golden syrup
2 beaten eggs
140 g unsalted butter
200 g of self raising flour
zest of 1 orange
1 tsp cinnamon
3 drops vanilla essence
Pinch of salt

Method:
1) Preheat the oven to 180 celcius/upper and lower heat.
2) Pour the honey, syrup and butter into a sauce pan. Add a tbsp of water and slowly simmer until the butter melts (make sure not to boil the mixture), then stir through and take off the heat. Let cool.
3) Mix the flour with the orange zest, cinnamon, vanilla and pinch of salt. Then add the syrup and the eggs and mix to a shiny batter.
4) Pour mixture in a lined cake tin and bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown.
5) Goes very well with a cup of earl grey tea.
@Rascal would be all over that with his tea!

I meant the British version from Tate & Lyle, but if that's unavailable to you I think maple syrup would also work.
Only that maple syrup has such a distinct taste. Probably corn syrup would be better?

I've always wondered about different trees, plants and herbs between continents.

Only that maple syrup has such a distinct taste. Probably corn syrup would be better?

I've always wondered about different trees, plants and herbs between continents.
I think golden syrup tastes more like maple than corn syrup. It has a very distinct mettalic tinge

There is a distinct taste to Maple Syrup, which would come through. I would, personally, not use it. Corn syrup (light or dark), honey, agave, even a light molasses would be better IMHO.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom