Sugarless Tofucake With Kelp Crust

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdcast

Washing Up
Dairy is killin me. My cholesterol is 270 and the Doc says it comes down or I go on meds. Asians invented tofu centuries ago and have utilized it in many forms with relish. The use of tofu as a cream cheese substitute in cheesecakes have been touted for years to my chagrin. I grew up loving milk but have come to prefer rice and soy milks. It turns out to be a far healthier food for human consumption. So I wonder, could what proponents of tofu are saying about it be right? I'm hoping they are but with the skepticism I developed back in the 70's when it suddenly became popular.

Any opinions on this to share ???

Too much soy has its problems also, believe it or not.
At 270 it sounds like you need a very large diet makeover plus meds. Maybe NO cheesecake,even with tofu is in your future. Fat free diet, fish not beef, etc. I think it may take more than conversion to tofu.

:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: I'd rather not eat cheesecake! It's not the tofu in the cheesecake - it's the kelp crust! lol

Are you doing the standard things? i.e., eating oatmeal, excercising (I know it's a swear word!), basic cutbacks. If you try to go hog wild and completely change everything to the extreme it will be much harder to stay at it.

Good luck - I have to watch my cholesterol too - it's not easy.

for a cheesecake-esque treat without the high fat content use yoghurt and gelatin, sweetened/flavored with jam, lemon, etc.
dissolve the gelatin in some water, warm up some non-fat or soy milk in a pan with the gelatin and then add to the yoghurt. pour into tupperware or other container and let set in the fridge. it comes out rather like a refrigerator cheesecake.

kitchenelf said:
:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: I'd rather not eat cheesecake! It's not the tofu in the cheesecake - it's the kelp crust! lol

Are you doing the standard things? i.e., eating oatmeal, excercising (I know it's a swear word!), basic cutbacks. If you try to go hog wild and completely change everything to the extreme it will be much harder to stay at it.

Good luck - I have to watch my cholesterol too - it's not easy.
You're absolutely right but the three months Doc gave me to shape up is almost over and yea, I'm a loser :neutral:

philso said:
for a cheesecake-esque treat without the high fat content use yoghurt and gelatin, sweetened/flavored with jam, lemon, etc.
dissolve the gelatin in some water, warm up some non-fat or soy milk in a pan with the gelatin and then add to the yoghurt. pour into tupperware or other container and let set in the fridge. it comes out rather like a refrigerator cheesecake.​

1361.gif

Back
Top Bottom