"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies

Old 08-17-2008, 10:43 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

A real chocolate chip cookie

I become sick of having to go through all of these recipes to find a good chocolate chip cookie. I have seen it all, the puffy, cakey, crisp, and those sick ones where the chips clump in the middle and the dough spreads out very thin and all the cookies are overlapping eachother like crazy and the crust is burnt and the middle is completely raw.

I just want one like in a nice bakery soft and chewy. Surprisingly the best i've had was at a walmart bakery, and there was always one left when i went to get one off the shelf. Great, now they discontinued them for some reason. It inspired me to finally get a good recipe. So i started with the recipe which worked best for me and revised it. i revised in the way i wanted it to taste...and i think i have found it.

1 stick salted butter
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 1/4 cups bread flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons milk
1 1/2 teaspoons to a tablespoon vanilla
2 cups milk or semisweet chocolate chips

just put butter in microwave just until the stick is half melted then add oil sugars eggs milk and vanilla. then add flour salt and soda and mix in the same bowl on top of the liquid mixture then mix deeper so the flour mixture mixes in with the liquid mixture and then add chips.

bake at 340 for about 8-10 minutes on ungreased cookie sheets

don't grease the sheets!

don't grease the sheets!

i found it unnessary to chill this dough before baking

What i did was decrease the total lipids in the recipe by 25% and replaced 33.33% of the butter with vegetable oil. I did this in effort to reduce excessive spreading of cookies while baking, and slightly decreasing their richness. I find that those bakery cookies are less rich but better than homestyle which i like. I wanted to replace some of the butter with oil to help rid the cookies of that strong carmel like flavor. Those bakery cookies had oil in their ingredients, along with butter.

This original recipe used a whole teaspoon of salt, but also called for unsalted butter...maybe that's why they were to salty.

I find that the most important thing in the results of chocolate chip cookies is the baking time. in order for a soft and chewy texture they should just be barely browning. i would suggest rotating the cookie sheet once for even cooking.

now..i find that the only way that these become truly soft and chewy is that after they cool place them in ziplock bags and sit on the counter overnight, the next day the should be just right.

i want somebody to try these and take a picture of them.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:02 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the recipe I looooove chocolate chip cookies I'll try this one ASAP. When you mention bread flour do you mean self rising flour?

Old 08-18-2008, 01:58 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

no, just use all purpose flour.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:02 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I'll have to try these the next time my fiance is coming home he is a choc chip cookie monster!! esp. if they have walnuts! Thanks for posting!

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:55 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Bread flour and all purpose flour are very different from each other. Bread flour is a higher protein flour designed for great texture for breads. AP flour is a better choice for cookies.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:23 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

well the original recipe was from food network, and it was a recipe from alton brown and he is the science guy so there must have been some reason for having bread flour.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:01 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Nestle Tollhouse Recipe on Back of Chocolate Chips

The best recipe I've found is on the back of the Nestle Tollhouse bags of Chocolate Chips. I've made oodles of cookies and these are still by far my favorite.

I also like to use kosher sea salt in my cookies because every once in a while you get a bite of really salty chocolatey goodness which I love so much.

Happy baking : )
Old 08-18-2008, 04:32 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

i think i tried that nestle recipe also. but it didn't work to well for me, they always ended up flat, and i think they were to rich for my taste.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:41 PM   #9
Sous Chef

I want to try this one

The recipe went fine....until the end: 2 cups milk or chocolate chips???
AND you have 2 tablespoons milk also.

Do you mean 2 cups of milk????? Please explain. Thanks
Old 08-18-2008, 07:31 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

um.. chocolate chips come in 2 basic varieties: milk and semi sweet. i am say choose which variety you prefer. liquid milk is not involved.

Tags
None