A real chocolate chip cookie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Master Lau

Assistant Cook
I become sick of having to go through all of these recipes to find a good chocolate chip cookie. I have seen it all, the puffy, cakey, crisp, and those sick ones where the chips clump in the middle and the dough spreads out very thin and all the cookies are overlapping eachother like crazy and the crust is burnt and the middle is completely raw.

I just want one like in a nice bakery soft and chewy. Surprisingly the best i've had was at a walmart bakery, and there was always one left when i went to get one off the shelf. Great, now they discontinued them for some reason. It inspired me to finally get a good recipe. So i started with the recipe which worked best for me and revised it. i revised in the way i wanted it to taste...and i think i have found it.

1 stick salted butter
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 1/4 cups bread flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons milk
1 1/2 teaspoons to a tablespoon vanilla
2 cups milk or semisweet chocolate chips

just put butter in microwave just until the stick is half melted then add oil sugars eggs milk and vanilla. then add flour salt and soda and mix in the same bowl on top of the liquid mixture then mix deeper so the flour mixture mixes in with the liquid mixture and then add chips.

bake at 340 for about 8-10 minutes on ungreased cookie sheets

don't grease the sheets!

don't grease the sheets!

i found it unnessary to chill this dough before baking

What i did was decrease the total lipids in the recipe by 25% and replaced 33.33% of the butter with vegetable oil. I did this in effort to reduce excessive spreading of cookies while baking, and slightly decreasing their richness. I find that those bakery cookies are less rich but better than homestyle which i like. I wanted to replace some of the butter with oil to help rid the cookies of that strong carmel like flavor. Those bakery cookies had oil in their ingredients, along with butter.

This original recipe used a whole teaspoon of salt, but also called for unsalted butter...maybe that's why they were to salty.

I find that the most important thing in the results of chocolate chip cookies is the baking time. in order for a soft and chewy texture they should just be barely browning. i would suggest rotating the cookie sheet once for even cooking.

now..i find that the only way that these become truly soft and chewy is that after they cool place them in ziplock bags and sit on the counter overnight, the next day the should be just right.

i want somebody to try these and take a picture of them.

Thanks for the recipe I looooove chocolate chip cookies I'll try this one ASAP. When you mention bread flour do you mean self rising flour?

I'll have to try these the next time my fiance is coming home he is a choc chip cookie monster!! esp. if they have walnuts! Thanks for posting!

Bread flour and all purpose flour are very different from each other. Bread flour is a higher protein flour designed for great texture for breads. AP flour is a better choice for cookies.

well the original recipe was from food network, and it was a recipe from alton brown and he is the science guy so there must have been some reason for having bread flour.

Nestle Tollhouse Recipe on Back of Chocolate Chips

The best recipe I've found is on the back of the Nestle Tollhouse bags of Chocolate Chips. I've made oodles of cookies and these are still by far my favorite.

I also like to use kosher sea salt in my cookies because every once in a while you get a bite of really salty chocolatey goodness which I love so much.

Happy baking : )

i think i tried that nestle recipe also. but it didn't work to well for me, they always ended up flat, and i think they were to rich for my taste.

I want to try this one

The recipe went fine....until the end: 2 cups milk or chocolate chips???
AND you have 2 tablespoons milk also.

Do you mean 2 cups of milk????? Please explain. Thanks

um.. chocolate chips come in 2 basic varieties: milk and semi sweet. i am say choose which variety you prefer. liquid milk is not involved.

That's Milk Chocolate

Perhaps I SHOULD have known. I did not. Thanks. Going to try your recipe. Made a new recipe today found on cookie madness the gal Anna G.

It was a wonderful experience. Made all in one bowl. It is healthy. Uses
wheat germ, dried blue berries, crystalised ginger. I made first batch recipe 3/4 c brown sugar...cookies were flat and crispy.

Since it was so simple...I made another batch and used 1/2 c brown sugar. All other ingredients the same. This batch was soft.

Depending on which you prefer...recipe can be altered with no problem.
Anyone wanting the complete recipe let me know. Yummy. Aria

The best recipe I've found is on the back of the Nestle Tollhouse bags of Chocolate Chips. I've made oodles of cookies and these are still by far my favorite.

I also like to use kosher sea salt in my cookies because every once in a while you get a bite of really salty chocolatey goodness which I love so much.

Happy baking : )

agrre with you on both parts of this.

the toll house recipe (sadly i have it memorized and can do it by eye at this point)

2 sticks butter soften (I leave them out on the counter for about an hour)
3/4 c white sugar
3/4 c brown sugar (I use dark)
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

1 tsp baking soda
2 1/4 C. ap flour
? salt ( I used kosher salt and usually about a pinch or 2)
2 C Choc Chips

lightly cream the butter (barely if even needed)

add sugars and mix until sugar starts to dissolve. add eggs and vanilla and beat until mixed.

sift flour, baking soda and salt* and add mix (ususally 3 steps)

add Choc Chips and mix

I chill my batter incase i over mixed it a bit. I also chill my sheet trays before and after each use. I got a good 3 sheet system going.

1 in the oven baking (about 9 minutes at 350) 1 on the rack cooling and the other either in the freezer chilling or already scooped in the fridge.

I use a silpat jsut because its easier

i just made these again, but with chocolate chunks. really, i don't see how any other recipe could be better. i was tempted to shove the dough to chill in the freezer but i resisted.

this is your quote, so as dumb as it seemed to you, was just trying to be clear
um.. chocolate chips come in 2 basic varieties: milk and semi sweet. i am say choose which variety you prefer. liquid milk is not involved.

you say liquid milk is not involved.
does that mean to use powdered milk then?
your OR calls for bread flour, then you say ap flour?
dd's friend makes the best chocolate chip cookies. I've asked her before how she does them and she told me her secret is the best butter she can afford so goes to Trader Joe's for their. no nuts are added either, she makes them almost bite sized and to me, they're extra sweet so probably more sugar, she lets them set up [after forming in the fridge too] before baking so they don't spread.

ugh. Liquid milk is involved in the recipe itself, as there is 2 tablespoons of it. yes, about 2 cups of chips would be fine or 1 3/4 cups of chocolate chunks.

In this recipe, it's NOT a good idea to chill though dough in the refridgerator, as they actually won't spread enough. I just want to also stress the importance of being careful to not overbake these. This used to be a major problem in why past cookies were not as good as they could have been. If they look done in the oven, then they have been overcooked, is my rule of thumb :)

I don't think quality butter is going to magically transform your cookies into good feasty morsels. I used cheaper generic butter and oil. I also haven't followed that hype about using real mexican vanilla extract, cheap imitation seems pretty good i guess, but then i haven't tried it.

We've all done the tollhouse version. I am not impressed with these either but they are my kids' favorite chocolate chip cookie as per their grandmother, my husbands mom. She left them out overnight uncovered to crisp up and boy they do. I like a soft cookie, not one that breaks your teeth.

I've also made AB's perfect chocolate chip cookies and had no success at all.

It is a troubling cookie to master. My best ever, was a day that I asked my dentist if I could have the tin that his cookies came out of, Famous Amos, as FA was only down the street in it's original location on Ventura Blvd, same as my dentist. He gave it to me and I made chocolate chip cookies from the ingredients listed on the tin. Who knew all that was in those cookies? Best I ever made bar none.

um, are you directing this ^^^ above comment to me or someone else?
if you are directing this to me Master Lau, are you speaking of the Alton Brown cookies or the Famous Amos cookies?
I did both.
Alton Browns recipe came with high expectations, I thought they were mediocre at best. Not me that said they were hard.
If you're speaking of the Famous Amos cookies, I had no recipe, I only had the tin they came in and from that, I used my own made up recipe with the tins ingredients. Are you asking me if those were hard? Now I'm confused. They weren't hard, they were the best chocolate chips cookies I've ever made however.
Now if you're not addressing me, forgive me, in this thread now, I am lost:huh: but bought the necessary ingredients to make these cookies of yours and thanks for posting the original recipe.

yes i am directing this at you lefselover. and i am only trying to address the recipe in which this whole thread is about ( the recipe on the first page). oh so you didn't make them i can see that now..

i made these once again for the 3rd time in a week. i can't stop.

Hi there, here is an very easy recipe from iCookeryBook software. Hope you will like this chocolate minicakes with strawberry

• For the Shortcakes:
    • 6 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
    • 1/3 cup plus 2 teaspoons sugar
    • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
    • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    • 1 tablespoon baking powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
    • 1 large egg
    • 1/4 cup whole milk
  • For the Strawberries:
    • 2 pounds strawberries, hulled, sliced
    • 1/4 cup sugar
    • 1 1/2 cups chilled whipping cream
    • 3 tablespoons sugar
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    • Chocolate Sauce

Method:
FOR THE SHORTCAKES:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Line heavy large baking sheet with silicone baking pad or parchment paper. Combine chocolate and 1/3 cup sugar in food processor and process until chocolate is finely ground. Add flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt; process until combined. Add butter and process until mixture resembles fine meal. Mix egg with milk in small bowl to blend; pour over flour mixture in processor and pulse just until combined. Spoon dough into six 3-inch mounds on prepared baking sheet, spacing evenly. Sprinkle with remaining 2 teaspoons sugar. Bake until cooked through, about 18 minutes. Carefully transfer shortcakes to rack. Cool completely.

DO-AHEAD TIP:
Shortcakes can be made 1 day ahead. Wrap individually in plastic and store at room temperature.

FOR THE STRAWBERRIES:
Toss strawberries and 1/4 cup sugar in large bowl. Let stand until juices form, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour.
Combine cream, sugar and vanilla in cream whipper.

Using serrated knife, carefully split shortcakes horizontally in half. Place bottom halves on each of 6 plates. Top minicakes with strawberries, chocolate sauce, then whipped cream. Top with minicake tops and serve.

Rich chocolate minicakes with sweetened strawberries, chocolate sauce and whipped cream. Minicakes are fragile so be extra careful when splitting them for dessert

this will give you 6 servings

Enjoy while cooking

Back
Top Bottom