Are You Cutting Down On Your Cookie Baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

babetoo

Chef Extraordinaire
i am cutting down on cookies this christmas. the ingdrients are way to expensive. instead of ten kinds, will do four. sugar, choco.chip, snicker doodles, and green and red m and m cookies.

what is on you list for cookies?:ohmy:

I cut down because of my diabetes and my weight.

I have been fiddling with the idea of a master dough that I can use to make a variety of cookies from one dough. I think it will be a butter cookie with various nuts, candied fruit, chips, sprinkles etc. It may also be a quick trip to the nearby Italian bakery for a two pound cookie tray. Expensive but, cheaper than making them and almost as good as homemade.

I am making a couple of loaves of bread with nuts and candied fruit in them. Less sugar but, still a nice holiday treat at a low cost.

Babe, no particular plans to cut back or do more. I just baked a bath of chocolate chip cookies for SO's son's birthday. I'll probably make another batch closer to Christmas. Also on the menu is oatmeal raisin with nuts. SO is planning eggnog cookies, anise cookies, pizzeles so far.

Babe, no particular plans to cut back or do more. I just baked a bath of chocolate chip cookies for SO's son's birthday. I'll probably make another batch closer to Christmas. Also on the menu is oatmeal raisin with nuts. SO is planning eggnog cookies, anise cookies, pizzeles so far.
If you are making a bath tub full of chocolate chip cookies, I would hope that this is not "cutting down" - even I don't make THAT many at a time! :rolleyes:

PS sorry for pointing out a spelling error (I have had this happen to me at the not so best of timing) but it was too punny to pass by!;)

I'm cutting down due to my health this year, though my youth group have been making me several kinds of goodies for home and gifts - they are a wonderful bunch of kids!

I am doing my whipped shortbread today and some gluten free fancies for DH to not feel left out.

I started hunting down ingredients over the last couple of months to make sure that I got a good price on them. Nuts are outrageous, so I looked for sales and coupons on those, I am now stocked up for a while, probably past Christmas. I hate wanting to bake something with nuts only to see really high prices in the store. With that said, I was lucky enough to score walnuts for $3.75 per pound after coupon, but ended up paying $9.50 per pound for pecans, the grocery store wants $12-13 per pound. I got some of this years crop of local pecans at the farmer's market.

Most of the other ingredients like sugar, butter, flour and such are priced pretty good this time of year, most stores have them on sale.

I am actually making more cookies this year. I have told everyone that I am not doing their holiday baking this year (they pay me to do it), so I'll have time to bake lots of goodies to give away and send away as gifts!

If you are making a bath tub full of chocolate chip cookies, I would hope that this is not "cutting down" - even I don't make THAT many at a time! :rolleyes:

PS sorry for pointing out a spelling error (I have had this happen to me at the not so best of timing) but it was too punny to pass by!;)

Actually, I think I'll cut back a little from a bath of cookies to just a batch of cookies this year.

Last edited:
I'm cutting down due to my health this year, though my youth group have been making me several kinds of goodies for home and gifts - they are a wonderful bunch of kids!

I am doing my whipped shortbread today and some gluten free fancies for DH to not feel left out.
Laurie,
I couldn't believe my eyes at the gluten free things at Cost Plus. I tried a chocolate cake that was just wonderful I'm going to get several mor for Christmas Eve.
Ma

Laurie,
I couldn't believe my eyes at the gluten free things at Cost Plus. I tried a chocolate cake that was just wonderful I'm going to get several mor for Christmas Eve.
Ma
Yes, Ma. There is getting to be a really good selection. My only problem is the DH is also intolerant to soy and dairy as well so have to be super careful. I got him some snickerdoodles the other day that put my "normal" ones to shame....and I always kind of prided myself on them :(:LOL:.

I have to watch all ingredients including chocolate, cocoa (we buy a very expensive raw cacao from the organic store for all his baking), flavourings, modified corn starch, etc.

I am glad you like the chocolate cake! :)

I don't wear a slip.

Were you mixing in the bathroom? o:) I have no plans to cut back this year. Am on a work break so have more time to bake....bad for the waistline, great for the tastebuds! :yum:

No, I store the mixer in a cabinet in the bathroom.

showed your picture to some friends last night, they asked why was there a KA in the bathroom, they wondered if there were some new attachments for the KA that they should know about.....

showed your picture to some friends last night, they asked why was there a KA in the bathroom, they wondered if there were some new attachments for the KA that they should know about.....

My promise to you: When I win the lottery, I'll buy a great big house with an enormous kitchen that has lots of storage space and the mixer will never see the bathroom again.

:LOL:

That might just put the roto-rooter man out of business.

Back
Top Bottom