"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies

Old 12-03-2006, 12:21 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Arnott's Kingston cream cookies/biscuits

I'm trying to duplicate this cookie for my daughter as she fell in love with them when she was Australia. Does anyone have a copycat recipe? I guess they are actually anzac biscuits but I have made three different anzac recipes and they are too flat and don't brown on the top. The flaky texture is missing too! Any help would be appreciated.

Old 12-03-2006, 01:13 PM   #2
Executive Chef

silentmeow, are these biscuits made from rolled oats and coconut?

Old 12-03-2006, 02:05 PM   #3
Everymom

silentmeow, did you Search our board for Anzac cookies? I know there is one, perhaps two threads with recipes. Mine is on here, but mine are chewy rather than flaky. If you added more coconut and oatmeal you might get that flaky texture.

Edit: I put in the link for you.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:08 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by boufa06
silentmeow, are these biscuits made from rolled oats and coconut?
boufa, yes they do contain oats and coconut! Also flour, sugar, butter,soda,salt and karo syrup. When I baked them, however, they flattened out. Literally flatter than a pancake. The taste was great! The Kingston's had a cream layer between two cookies. Each cookie was about 1/2 inch high. I'm " baking challenged" so I have no idea how to adjust the recipe for a plumper cookie. Have you ever eaten the Kingstons? they are a great cookie.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:19 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
silentmeow, did you Search our board for Anzac cookies? I know there is one, perhaps two threads with recipes. Mine is on here, but mine are chewy rather than flaky. If you added more coconut and oatmeal you might get that flaky texture.

Edit: I put in the link for you.
Alix, Just finished reading the link. Some great information there! I have used karo syrup and another recipe suggested maple syrup. Both recipes were good but again I just got that paper thin cookie! I will try adding more oatmeal today. I just don't understand why the Arnott's company won't just give me their secret recipe for a terrific cookie! lol. Thanks
Old 12-04-2006, 01:16 PM   #6
Everymom

silentmeow, Anzac cookies by their nature flatten out a lot. If you want them to be flaky you will have to add a fair pile of coconut and oats. I wonder if the cookies are not ACTUALLY Anzacs, but maybe some kind of variation? Good luck with your experiments.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:07 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentmeow
boufa, yes they do contain oats and coconut! Also flour, sugar, butter,soda,salt and karo syrup. When I baked them, however, they flattened out. Literally flatter than a pancake. The taste was great! The Kingston's had a cream layer between two cookies. Each cookie was about 1/2 inch high. I'm " baking challenged" so I have no idea how to adjust the recipe for a plumper cookie. Have you ever eaten the Kingstons? they are a great cookie.
Silentmeow, I love Arnott's biscuits but can't remember eating Kingston's. Anyway, my recipe for Anzac Biscuits comes from an Australian cookbook. They are single cookies, so if you want to do them like Arnott's, just sandwich them with icing. I do not think the cookies are very fluffy but you can add more spoonfuls of the mixture during baking. Here is the recipe plus an icing I think might be suitable for the cookies. Good luck to your experiment! Let us know how they turn out.

ANZAC BISCUITS
(Makes about 30-35)

Ingredients:
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup plain flour
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup coconut
125gm (4oz) butter
2 tbsps golden syrup
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tbsps boiling water

Method:
1. In a bowl, mix sifted flour, oats, sugar and coconut together.
2. Melt butter and golden syrup over gentle heat.
3. Mix soda with boiling water and add to melted butter mixture. Add dry ingredients and mix well.
4. Place spoonfuls of mixture on a well greased tray about 1-1/4 inch apart. Bake in oven at 180 degrees C/350 degrees F for about 20 mins or until light brown.

Icing:
60gm (2oz) butter
3/4 cup icing sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 tsps milk

Cream butter and sifted icing sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla, milk and beat well.

Tags
None