Christmas cookie ideas for kids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lyn221

Assistant Cook
Anyone have ideas for kid type cookies for Christmas? Last year I used the polar bear cinammon flavored cookie from Pillsbury's Cookbook...they were cute. But, I need new ideas for this year's cookie exchange! Thanks in advance for your ideas. :)

Last edited:
Look on the pillsbury website. There are a lot of very cute decorating ideas. You don't have to use their premade cookie dough, you can use your own and alter the decor a little to make your own.

Candy cane cookies are fun. You make the tough, chill it, divide it in two, colour half, roll into ropes and twist together. I can post the recipe if you like. :)

:)

Cherry Surprise Cookies

Ingredients:
2 cups Basic Cookie Dough (recipe below)
48 chocolate stars or chocolate kisses
48 candied cherry halves (optional)

Drop cookie dough by heaping teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto greased baking sheets. Top each with a chocolate and wrap dough around it. Top each with a candied cherry half. Bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.

Yield: about 2 dozen.

Basic Cookie Dough

Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1/4 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
8 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add the eggs, milk and vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture, beating just until combined. Divide dough into four 2-cup portions. Cover and refrigerate.

Yield: 8 cups.

:santa: [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Easy "Snowball" Coconut Cookies[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 stick butter
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cup coconut, shredded
1 cup pecans, chopped

[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Melt butter over low heat. Stir in brown sugar until dissolved. Let cool then add eggs and vanilla. In a separate bowl mix dry ingredients together. Then add dry ingredients and stir. Add coconut and pecans. Drop onto cookie sheet and bake at 350F degrees for 6 to 8 minutes.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Christmas Balls[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup powdered sugar
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup pecans, chopped
red and green sprinkles
[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cream butter adding sugar and vanilla. Then add flour and mix well. Add pecans. Refrigerate for an hour until firm. Roll into small balls. Bake in a 350F degree oven for 20 to 30 minutes until light brown. Remove from oven and roll in sprinkles while still hot. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Molasses Sugar Cookies[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3/4 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup molasses
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cream shortening gradually adding sugar. Beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add egg and molasses and mix well. In a separate bowl combine dry ingredients and mix well. Add about 1/4 cup of dry mixture at a time to creamed mixture. Mix well each time before adding more dry ingredients. [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Chill for one hour until firm. Roll into 1 inch balls. Place on cookie sheet and bake at 375F degrees for 10 to 12 minutes. (Don't worry if tops crack). Cool on wire racks.[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Makes 4 dozen.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Holiday Wreaths[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1/2 cup butter 1 package marshmallows
6 cups Corn flakes cereal
Green food color
Red cinnamon candies

[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat. Then add marshmallows, stirring constantly, until the marshmallows melt. The mixture should get nice and gooey. Remove from stove and add corn flakes. Add a few drops of food coloring and stir until well mixed. [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Very quickly make into round wreath shapes on wax paper. If it's too sticky rub hands with butter. Place red cinnamon candies around the wreaths.

[/font]

This month's Quick Cooking gave ideas using Pillsbury refrigerated sugar cookie dough.

Here is another idea.

Reindeer Cookies

1 pouch (17 1/2 oz.) peanut butter cookie mix
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
60 tiny pretzel twists
60 semisweet chocolate chips
30 red-hot candies

Combine first 3 ingredients and beat untilwell mixed. Shape into a 7 1/2" roll and wrap in plastic wrap and chill at least 1 hour. Unwrap and cut into 1/4" slices. Place 2" apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Using thumb and forefinger make a slight indentation about 1/3 of the way down the sides of each slice. Press in pretzels for the antlers, chips for the eyes and a red-hot for the nose. Bake at 350* 9=11 minutes or until light brown. Remove to racks to cool. You may use your favorite peanut butter cookie recipe if you like.

exps11300_QC10074C43A.jpg
Here is a picture of them.

I bought a cookie press for not to much money I think it was about 15.00 US and I love to make the cookies with it. you can make trees and snowflakes and lots of other things. it uses a standard sugar cookie recipe and you can make a lot of cookies in a very short time and kids love to help. they can shoot the cookies out of the press really fast and they love the different shapes. I have often made them with kids and made 4 or 5 differnt shapes at one time. they are also not huge so you can put them in bake sales and exchanges with little trouble.

ArticKatt said:
I bought a cookie press for not to much money I think it was about 15.00 US and I love to make the cookies with it. you can make trees and snowflakes and lots of other things. it uses a standard sugar cookie recipe and you can make a lot of cookies in a very short time and kids love to help. they can shoot the cookies out of the press really fast and they love the different shapes. I have often made them with kids and made 4 or 5 differnt shapes at one time. they are also not huge so you can put them in bake sales and exchanges with little trouble.

I have on of those too. It has 15 or so disks with designs.
It is fast and simple. the hardest part is reloading:rolleyes: I hate that part:LOL:

texasgirl said:
I have on of those too. It has 15 or so disks with designs.
It is fast and simple. the hardest part is reloading:rolleyes: I hate that part:LOL:

It can be a bit messy but the kids love that as well. I always put on an old shirt and make the kids do the same and we have fun. The dogs seem to get anything that falls on the floor. I use sprinkles and colored sugar to make them pretty. Or sometimes I color the dough but thats even messier.

Your welcome, hehe, the reason that I did, is because I didn't know if anyone else were odd like me and couldn't figure out where and why you would pinch 1/3 way down, at least with the picture, I can see it. :eek:)

One thing I saw that can be good for small children is peanut butter cookies and put a chocolate kiss in the center before baking. They don't have to be so involved in the actual cookie making, but pressing the cookies and placing the kisses gives them quite a feeling of helping. They can eat the chocolate off their fingers also.

I think any recipe can be a good one to include kids in. Mine is just happy to be a part of the process, even when I make things that he can't help with, if he gets to pour the flour or sugar, he's happy. :)

licia said:
One thing I saw that can be good for small children is peanut butter cookies and put a chocolate kiss in the center before baking. They don't have to be so involved in the actual cookie making, but pressing the cookies and placing the kisses gives them quite a feeling of helping. They can eat the chocolate off their fingers also.

They can unwrap the kisses. Just be sure to have extras or a grandmother (my mother) who does not steal chocolate.

I bought a bag of kisses the other day that wasn't wrapped individually - just for cooking, etc. I'd never seen them before. Of course my gs had to taste to make sure they were the same thing as the wrapped ones. Chocolate is his second favorite food - shrimp cottontail is his first!:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom