"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies

Old 12-13-2012, 06:37 PM   #1
Cook

ISO keeflies or keeflys cookies anyone?

hey everyone! I was curious if anyone was willing to share thier keeflies recipe. For those who dont know I believe it is a moon shaped cookie with powdered sugar and nuts. My mom has been looking for it for a long time and the recipe that she has is a copied version that is unreadable. she would love to make these for christmas if anyone is willing to share. thanks so much!

Old 12-13-2012, 11:33 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Never heard of this cookie, but it sounds very much like Spanish Wedding Cookies in a different shape.

Here is the recipe. Does it sound familiar?

Spanish Wedding Cookies

1 cube soft butter (1/2 cup)
2 tablesoons powdered sugar
1 cup sifted flour
1 cup finely chopped nuts
1teaspoon vanilla

Cream butter and sugar. Add flour, nuts and vanilla. Roll dough into 1-inch balls or any shape you desire. Place on parchment lined baking sheet. Bake at 325 degrees F for 20 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned around base. Cool a few minutes and while still warm, roll in sifted powdered sugar. When completely cool, roll in powdered sugar again. Makes about 25 to 30 cookies.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:27 AM   #3
Master Chef

This is an old recipe for a Hungarian cookie called Keffle. The more modern recipes are made with cream cheese. These can also be filled with a thick apricot jam.

I hope this helps!

Keffle
1 lb. butter
1 dozen egg yolks
4 c. flour
1 shot of whiskey

Mix flour, egg yolks, butter, and whiskey. Chill over night. Form into 60 small balls.

Filling
2 c. ground walnuts
1 c. sugar
1 dozen egg whites

Beat egg whites and combine nuts, sugar.

Roll dough balls thin, put 1 tsp. filling into dough, fold over and seal ends. Some people form them like a half moon. We always flattened the ball of dough filled it and pinched the ends so they looked like a small canoe that left the filling exposed. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 350 until light golden brown. Cool and roll in powdered sugar.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:00 AM   #4
Executive Chef

My first thought is this reminds me of Mexican Wedding Cookies/ Russian Tea Cakes. Then I remembered (eating) Almond Crescent Cookies. Never made them. The recipes appear simialr to Russian tea cakes.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:26 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Only Kermit would put flies in a cookie!
Old 12-17-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
Cook

Re

Hey all. Thanks for the recipes. It's not Italian wedding cake. She makes those already. :). I'm not sure how else to explain them since the recipe has been missing since her aunt had passed away. Ill give her the recipe with the whiskey though thanks!!
Old 12-17-2012, 01:46 PM   #7
Cook

Sorry that I caught this thread a bit late. In America, this ball or crescent shaped pastry is spelled "kiffle". If you try that on Google, you will find pages of recipes. I have always rolled them into a ball, myself, but it would be easy to convert that to a crescent with two pinches!
Cheers

Tags
cookies, other, yeast powdered sugar