My cookies taste funny. Can anything be done?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anwencelia

Assistant Cook
Hi,

I made snickerdoodles today, one hundred of them. When I tasted them, something was just not right...funny, the dough had tasted fine. Then it hit me: I had needed 24 T of butter for the recipe, but ran short. I had put in veggie oil for the last six T to take up the extra. My cookies now have a weird after taste. They have cinnamon sugar coating on the outside, but the inside just isn't right. These cookies are for some events coming up.

Can anything be done? What if I soaked them in vanilla or something? Don't laugh -- I'm a new cook :) Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Just dip them in chocolate? Do you think that would take out the strange oily aftertaste? (I'm hopeful :rolleyes: )

corazon90 said:
Shoot, I'd say dip them in chocolate. Anything is better with chocolate. lol.

CORAZON is absolutely right. When I opened my ice cream parlor in the 70's, I asked the supplier why there were so many chocolate ice cream combinations. He said, "because when a mistake is made, chocolate covers a multitude of sins." I never forgot that. I've since discovered you can mask anything with the flavor of chocolate. Dip half of the cookie in chocolate and no one will ever know. :angel: :angel:

I had a friend taste one tonight, and she didn't think they tasted like oil...she said it was something else. That's when I remembered that I was watching toddlers while making the cookies, and I got lost on how much baking soda I had added. So, she thinks that is where the odd taste is coming from.

But back to the chocolate...I can try it...if I can get chocolate, I will try it. (I live in Japan). Could I make an impromptu dip out of vanilla, cocoa powder, and sugar? Let me know...I do appreciate the help! :)

I know this is screaming "rookie," but any tips on making a chocolate dip? Thanks. Don't want to mess that part up too...

Last night, I found a couple of great chocolate dips on the Internet, made them, and dipped my cookies. This morning, they are really crumbly in structure, and sticking together, and falling apart! I did salvage some for this weekend. The rest, I am going to try to make into a chocolate bread pudding. Mabye I just don't know when to give up...

Back
Top Bottom