"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies

Old 08-18-2012, 06:54 PM   #51
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
I been watchin' and reading this for a spell....I finally couldn't stand it no more...made a 4 dozen batch of the Vanishing Oatmeal cookies today. They sure are good!!
Hey Hoot, we got swamps up here that you can hang out next to. We have one that's only 'bout 30 minutes from here called "Delirium Wilderness". Then you can make 4 dozen vanishing oatmeal cookies, up here where we appreciate 'em.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:02 PM   #52
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I haven't worked in a real bakery, but I do know that they have flavorings that aren't easily available to the general public. They use a lot of emulsions, these are a bit different from extracts as the flavor doesn't cook out. I'm not sure what flavor they would be using, but I have a flavor called Princess Flavor, that has a vanilla, citrus, and nut type flavor, it smells like an old school bakery cake. This is the one that I have, if you have a cake supply store nearby, they may carry it.
Princess Cake & Cookie Flavor - 4 oz.

If you have molasses, you can use your light brown sugar, and add 1 tablespoon of molasses per cup of light brown sugar in the recipe. That's the only difference between light and dark brown sugar! You can even make your own brown sugar if you run out. 1 cup white sugar mixed with 1 tablespoon molasses makes light brown sugar. 1 cup white sugar mixed with 2 tablespoons molasses makes dark brown sugar.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot
I been watchin' and reading this for a spell....I finally couldn't stand it no more...made a 4 dozen batch of the Vanishing Oatmeal cookies today. They sure are good!!
Hoot, they're awesome. I am so not a baker, but I do bake these! You can also make them in bar form, I always have them in the freezer, individually wrapped, so we can grab and go.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:22 PM   #54
Senior Cook

I'll bet the Quaker recipe will do for the cookie part, but my guess is that it's the icing in middle which kids go crazy for.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:47 PM   #55
Assistant Cook

That Quaker recipe is good (very good!). I've had so many oatmeal cookies this week...I'm getting a bit tired of 'em. Can't believe I just said that, lol. I picked salsa and chips for my dessert this evening!
Old 08-18-2012, 09:50 PM   #56
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Hey Hoot, we got swamps up here that you can hang out next to. We have one that's only 'bout 30 minutes from here called "Delirium Wilderness". Then you can make 4 dozen vanishing oatmeal cookies, up here where we appreciate 'em.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Well now...thank ye for the kind offer! If I ever get that far north, I will be sure to take a look around the Delirium Wilderness (I really like that name!).
I will be sure to bring provisions for oatmeal cookies.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:51 PM   #57
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom244now
That Quaker recipe is good (very good!). I've had so many oatmeal cookies this week...I'm getting a bit tired of 'em. Can't believe I just said that, lol. I picked salsa and chips for my dessert this evening!
I bet you ARE tired of 'em!
Old 08-18-2012, 09:55 PM   #58
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I haven't worked in a real bakery, but I do know that they have flavorings that aren't easily available to the general public. They use a lot of emulsions, these are a bit different from extracts as the flavor doesn't cook out. I'm not sure what flavor they would be using, but I have a flavor called Princess Flavor, that has a vanilla, citrus, and nut type flavor, it smells like an old school bakery cake. This is the one that I have, if you have a cake supply store nearby, they may carry it.
Princess Cake & Cookie Flavor - 4 oz.

If you have molasses, you can use your light brown sugar, and add 1 tablespoon of molasses per cup of light brown sugar in the recipe. That's the only difference between light and dark brown sugar! You can even make your own brown sugar if you run out. 1 cup white sugar mixed with 1 tablespoon molasses makes light brown sugar. 1 cup white sugar mixed with 2 tablespoons molasses makes dark brown sugar.
I've seen the Princess flavor before but was afraid to get it because it has that citrus flavor and these cookies don't have that. Do you actually taste the citrus/lemon flavor or is it more of a nutty/vanilla?

I did buy a Baker's Mystery Flavor but it didn't work for me. It has a strong taste and it really stands out. Maybe I used too much.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:58 PM   #59
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom244now View Post
I bet you are tired of them. Can you identify the post # that had the Quaker recipe that you used? So many recipes were suggested, I'm a bit confused as to which ones you liked (maybe you could rate them!). Thanks.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:14 PM   #60
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Come to think on it, Chief..Mrs Hoot has a sister that lives in Michigan. She keeps talkin' about travelin' there for a visit. I told her ..maybe, but not until summer...I ain't a-goin' there in the winter.

Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cookie, corn syrup, oatmeal, oats, other