"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies

Old 09-29-2007, 09:53 PM   #31
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Do you mean snickerdoodles?
no, not snickerdoodles. they are a little bit cakey, i think they are called wedding cookies???

healthyfoodie
healthyfoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 09:54 PM   #32
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
I think I know what you are refering to. I've seen many variations and many names. At my house we call them....

PECAN SANDIES

2 Sticks Butter
1/3 cup Sugar
2 Cups AP flour
2 t. vanilla
2-3 t. water
1 Cup Chopped pecans.
Confectioner's Sugar.

Cream sugar and butter. Add vanilla and water. Gradually blend the flour, and pecans in. Cover with plastic and chill at least 4 hours. Shape into a finger shaped cookies.(or balls) Bake at 325* for about 20 minutes. After they cool slighty, roll them in confectioner's sugar.

With a cold glass of milk they are delicious!!!
these look awesome!! it's not necessarily the one I was thinking of, but awesome nonetheless. we do a cookie weekend (it started out as a cookie day) and cook up tons of cookies that we ship all over to our family. this one is going on the list :)

healthyfoodie
healthyfoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 09:59 PM   #33
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyfoodie View Post
no, not snickerdoodles. they are a little bit cakey, i think they are called wedding cookies???
Did you see my post a few back?
Old 09-29-2007, 10:35 PM   #34
Head Chef

Exclamation Yes, Russian tea cookies

Quote:
what are the cookies that are crumbly, dense, a little dry (supposed to be dry), maybe some powdered sugar on top, i think i remember an almond taste. they remind me of bakery cookies, but they are homemade.

i had them a few times and really liked them, but i can't remember what they are. does anyone know?
Yes, the more knowledgeable cooks have it - I've been racking my brain for those cookies because I could see exactly what you were talking about. They were favorite holiday time cookies when I was a kid and that has been many moons ago.

Yes, tea cookies, sometimes called wedding cookies, Russian tea cookies and maybe Swedish tea cookies. Recipes are available - just google search any of those names and look for the little spherical cookies with powdered sugar liberally applied. Seems like I remember ground nuts in them way back. I'm sure there are variations like anything else. Go for it - let us know how they come out! You are the chef!
Old 09-29-2007, 10:53 PM   #35
Everymom

We do Swedish Tea Rings for Christmas too, but there is a dollop of jelly in each of those. I'll go post that recipe too.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:11 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Here are some pecan sandies but healthyfoodie may be talking about almond cookies with powdered sugar on them. Are these the ones you're looking for?
Old 09-29-2007, 11:13 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Quote:
what are the cookies that are crumbly, dense, a little dry (supposed to be dry), maybe some powdered sugar on top, i think i remember an almond taste. they remind me of bakery cookies, but they are homemade.

i had them a few times and really liked them, but i can't remember what they are. does anyone know?
These may be the ones you're trying to find. I'll post the recipe all you have to do is sprinkle some powdered sugar on them.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:39 AM   #38
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:

I think you're talking about Mexican Wedding Cakes... altho they go by several different names in different cultures, including Kourabiedes.

I should have a recipe around here somewhere......
Old 09-30-2007, 10:41 AM   #39
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercyteapot View Post
My personal favorite is Nanaimo Bars, which I understand is a popular Christmas cookie up in Canada.

Bottom Layer:
cup unsalted butter
cup sugar
5 tbsp. cocoa
1 egg beaten
1 cups graham wafer crumbs
c. finely chopped almonds
1 cup coconut

Melt first 3 ingredients in top of double boiler. Add egg and stir to cook and thicken. Remove from heat. Stir in crumbs, coconut, and nuts. Press firmly into an ungreased 8" x 8" pan.

Second Layer:
cup unsalted butter
2 Tbsp. and 2 Tsp. cream
2 Tbsp. vanilla custard powder
2 cups icing sugar

Cream butter, cream, custard powder, and icing sugar together well. Beat until light. Spread over bottom layer.

Third Layer:
4 squares semi-sweet chocolate (1 oz. each)
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter

Melt chocolate and butter over low heat. Cool. Once cool, but still liquid, pour over second layer and chill in refrigerator.
These things are so sweet they make my teeth ache, but I can't stop eating them!
Old 09-30-2007, 10:52 AM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
I think I know what you are refering to. I've seen many variations and many names! At my house we call them....

PECAN SANDIES

2 Sticks Butter
1/3 cup Sugar
2 Cups AP flour
2 t. vanilla
2-3 t. water
1 Cup Chopped pecans.
Confectioner's Sugar.

Cream sugar and butter. Add vanilla and water. Gradually blend the flour, and pecans in. Cover with plastic and chill at least 4 hours. Shape into a finger shaped cookies.(or balls) Bake at 325* for about 20 minutes. After they cool slighty, roll them in confectioner's sugar.
Maybe this would work. Ya think??

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None