Honeycomb Brittle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PieSusan

Washing Up
Honeycomb Brittle (P, TNT)
based on a recipe from Saveur Magazine
Yield: 9"x13" pan

Ingredients:
1-1/4 cups sugar
1/4 cup corn syrup
4 tsp. honey
3 tbsp. water
1 tbsp. baking soda

Directions:

Lightly oil a 9"x13" cookie sheet pan and set aside. Or you can use a silpat so that the candy does not stick.

Combine all the ingredients except the baking soda in a deep medium saucepan. Bring the syrup to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until the temperature reaches 300°F on a candy thermometer. It will take about 10 minutes. Watch the syrup closely so that it does not burn and make sure to read the candy thermometer at eye level. I find that is the biggest mistake that people make and they misread the temperature.

Remove the pan from heat, and add the baking soda and whisk vigorously for 5 seconds. The brittle will foam up and turn a light orange and then, quickly pour the candy onto the prepared pan. Don't play with the brittle. Do not try to smooth it down or touch it more than needed to get it out of the saucepan and do not scrape the saucepan to get all the candy out.

Set the brittle aside to cool completely and then break into pieces. Save the crumbs to serve on vanilla ice cream.

One more thing, for easy cleanup--just boil water and pour it over the dirty pan, thermometer and rubber spatula. The candy will melt right off.

Great easy recipe Thank you!

One question....I only have a cookie sheet that has no sides, can I use that with tin foil, making a lip all around with the foil??

You do not want sugar crystals to develop but you also don't want it to burn. Treat it like other brittles you have made. If sugar crystals form on the side of pan, have some cold water on the side and with a pastry brush, clean the sides of the pan--it will lower the temp and take the candy longer to cook but that is better than ruining it with sugar crystals.

uhhh...what about me...?? :ermm:

Sorry, deelady. I think a jelly roll pan would be a better substitution. The tin foil would not be heavy enough and would get too hot. I would probably use that or a regular cookie sheet but watch how you pour so that it doesn't spread beyond the sheet.

Ok. Oil it lightly before you pour the brittle. Let the brittle cool completely--I find overnight beneficial or if made early in the day, later that night. Then break it into pieces.

Back
Top Bottom