How to make dark chocolate candies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

visualprince

Assistant Cook
I'm really sorry that this question is probably really stupid. I am not really good at cooking and never really bothered to try it, but Valentine's day is coming up and I want to make some chocolate candies for my boyfriend.

Problem is, he can't really drink or eat milk related products. Yes, he can eat around 65% chocolates or above (maybe not much, but a little). So I want to make a chocolate that is dark enough for him to eat.

What I've got now is:
1. A pack of 72-75% chocolates
2. Heresy's cocoa powder
3. Butter (does it matter very much if it's salted or unsalted?)
4. Vanilla extract
5. Toppings (many different kinds)
6. Whip cream

Apparently, I tried the 75% chocolates... it's too sweet so I didn't think I need sugar, but its not very rich in chocolate.

The utilities I have at home are (we don't cook here :()
1. Microwave
2. Electric stove
3. And all the general utilities for cutting, eating, mixing, basic cooking etc.
4. Freezer

My friend is going to lend me some stuff later, so I'm not so worried about that ^^

Is there anything I can make simply out of these? Or something like that?

Thank you for any help! :flowers:

Making chocolate candy is NOT too easy unless you make truffles. If you'd like a recipe for those, I'll be glad to post a great tnt one.

Otherwise you will need to temper your chocolate. That's pretty easy to do, but messy and time consuming.

And yes, you will need UNsalted butter.

Hello, Princes and welcome. From what you are saying your butter is no good anyways. Salted or not, if he cannot have milk products you will have to find a substitude.

visualprince, well, I got my wife's candy recipe, but it is probably more like truffles too, rathen than simple chocolate. Let me know if you want it.

You can make chocolate truffles with full fat coconut milk or soy milk instead of cream, and soy margarine instead of butter.

8 oz.Tofuty cream cheese (it is fake, sold in organick section of any grocery)
1 package of oreo cookies—finely ground in food processor
10 oz or more as needed

Mix "cream cheese" and cookie powder thoroughly.

Roll mixture into ½ inch balls.

Melt chocolate (either by double-boiler or microwave). Drop balls into chocolate and remove with fork. Put on tray lined with paper. Put in refrigerator for 15 minutes.

But I doubt she's comming back.

Thank you everyone. Well, he can take butter, just maybe not a whole bar? But if it still won't work, I don't mind changing it.

I also don't mind making truffles instead. I actually thought it was harder than candies so I didn't choose it. But then again, I don't mind spending time on making candies and altering its taste, I just don't know how to do it :(

@CharlieD thank you for your recipe! It seems pretty simple. I'll try to see if I can find any of those cheese here. Ah, but I don't think I can get a food processor that easily.

@ChefJune If you also have a truffle recipe, I'd love to learn it ^^ Do you mind teaching me how to temper with the chocolate taste too please? I just hope I can have an idea :)

If there are anymore recipes please let me know more, I'm going to spend a whole day experimenting for the one I make best. Thank you so much again!

Last edited:
Am I reading that recipe wrong? I see bittersweet baking chocolate and unsweetened cocoa, whipping cream, and butter, but no SUGAR. That sounds awfully bitter to me.

You're reading it wrong. The unsweetened cocoa is for dusting the truffles.

You're reading it wrong. The unsweetened cocoa is for dusting the truffles.

I just looked up chocolate on Wikipedia and I think Canadian bittersweet chocolate is probably more bitter than US bittersweet chocolate.

And a cocoa dusting on the outside of truffles makes an unpleasant bitter tone that I dislike.

I just looked up chocolate on Wikipedia and I think Canadian bittersweet chocolate is probably more bitter than US bittersweet chocolate.

And a cocoa dusting on the outside of truffles makes an unpleasant bitter tone that I dislike.

I use a 60% bittersweet chocolate. And I LOVE the cocoa dusting on the truffles.

@CharlieD thank you for your recipe! It seems pretty simple. I'll try to see if I can find any of those cheese here. Ah, but I don't think I can get a food processor that easily.

... !

You do not need food processor, just smash it with a rolling pin or even a bottle.

where are you at, anyways?
This is what "cream cheese" I mention looks like:

:::: TOFUTTI ::::

You do not need food processor, just smash it with a rolling pin or even a bottle.

where are you at, anyways?
This is what "cream cheese" I mention looks like:

:::: TOFUTTI ::::

Alright ^^!

I'm in Hong Kong... I tried searching 3 supermarkets, it's actually pretty rare *sigh* I'm going to search CitySuper tomorrow and see if I can get it. I really really want to try the recipe you gave me. Thank you so much!

Thanks to other posts as well :)

You don't need toffuti in my opinion. You can make excellent truffles using coconut milk and dark (sweetened) chocolate.

Here is a detailed explanation Chocolate Truffle ?Redux?, 72% chocolate, coconut milk, and coconut oil instead of cream and butter - be still my heart!

This is basically a ganache recipe and I make a similar version regularly with good results. Once it's chilled, you can roll it into balls and coat with cocoa powder or cinnamon sugar or toasted coconut, almond dust or some other coating.

P1010177.jpg

Back
Top Bottom