Melting Candy Melts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs_Krock

Assistant Cook
I tried to melt some candy melts today so I could coat my "Cake Pops" and it just would not melt :mad:

I put it in a clean plastic bowl, in the mircowave, on low for one minute, and then 30 second burst, but it just never really melted and then went chalky and a hard consistency.

My only thought is maybe the chocolate is too old... it's still in date, but I've had the chocolate for over a year? Maybe this is why it's not working?

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

Cheers!!

I was thinking the same thing. It might melt better in a double boiler. Or put it in a stainless steel bowl and set the bowl in a larger bowl or pan with hot water in it.

I find the double boiler system to work the best. Either a bowl over a pan of simmering hot water or in a double boiler pan. I prefer the glass bowl over water. I have never had good luck with putting it in the micro. It doesn't melt evenly. And I never use a plastic bowl.

Are candy melts another word for chocolate chips?
I usually melt the chips with some butter and I think the hot butter helps smooth it out IMO

These are candy melts. Used in making candy. Different colors and flavors for dipping.

image-815722879.jpg

I've read on different websites that as they get older they just don't melt well, that could be the case here. They should melt in the microwave just fine, I don't think that a double boiler would make them melt if they won't in the microwave.

I use a brand called Mercken's and they are quite good, I don't make cake pops with them, but use them to dip cookies and such when I don't feel like tempering real chocolate, they have a very nice flavor, not at all waxy. They melt perfectly in the microwave.

Thanks everyone. I definitely think they were too old. I went out and bought a fresh packet and this time did it on the stove and they melted within seconds!! I'm so excited.

Here is my first attempt :)

image-2433005547.jpg

Thanks! I'm going to make a heap of cake pops on the weekend and colour them green and gold to support Australia with the Olympics starting soon :)

Back
Top Bottom