I'm just starting to experiment with fudge-making. First batch I made was a little too sugary (I think it wasn't brought to a high enough temp) so I bought myself a confectionaer's thermometer and had a go at chocolate fudge to the following recipe:
1/2 pint milk
800g granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
100g plain chocolate
- Melt choclate in milk
- Bring slowly to boil
- Add sugar and butter stirring until dissolved
- Bing to boil, cover 2 mins
- Uncover, boiling steadily until 240 degrees F reached continue to boil for 10-15 mins
- Remove from heat, stir in vanilla, leave to cool 5 mins
- Beat until loses its gloss and is thick and creamy
I let the temp raise to approx 260-270 degrees F by mistake, so when I beat it it went very flaky
Can it be rescued - i.e. re-melted with anything added to bring it back???
If not it'll be nice sprinkled on Ice Cream so all is not lost!!!
Many thanks for any suggestions