Violet Cremes/Creams (hard, not fondant)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrsmawbs

Assistant Cook
Hi guys, I really hope someone can point me in the right direction on this one!

I want to make some Violet Cremes/Creams, but not the chocolate covered fondant ones, they are a hard sweet with a consistency of soft/crumbly rock.

violet_creams.jpg

They look like this..... any tips on what i should be searching for? or does someone have a recipe?

Thanks in advance :)

thanks :) its definitely worth a try to see how it comes out, I have a number of flavours i can give it a go with!

looking at the reviews, its not a 'dry' recipe and they stay quite pliable, but certainly a step closer! thanks again.

Pastilles! thats genius! only bringing up sweets for sale at the moment, but having a good old loo - thanks for that!

i think i have found a recipe that will fit the bill!

Ingredients:
One pound (450g or 2 cups) sugar lumps (loaf sugar)
Quarter pint (150ml or two-thirds cup) water
Quarter teaspoon (1.5ml) cream of tartar
Green and yellow food colouring and peppermint and lemonflavouring
Some oil for greasing
Method:
Using a heavy-base saucepan, heat the water and sugar gently until all the sugar has dissolved. Bring this almost to the boil and then stir in the cream of tartar. Boil until the mixture has reached 120C or 250F (use a sugar thermometer or boil until a teaspoon of the mixture can form a hard ball when it is dropped into a cup of cold water).

Using two separate heatproof bowls, pour half the mixture into each bowl. Stir in the green food colouring into one and the yellow colouring into the other to create a delicate shade of each colour. Add a few drops of peppermint flavouring to the green one and lemon flavouring to the yellow one, mixing well.

Oil two shallow baking tins (pan) and pour each of the mixtures into the separate tins. Using an oiled knife, turn the edges towards the centre as they begin to cool. When the mixture is cool enough to handle, pull and fold the mixture. Finally, pull into a long log shape, about ½ inch (1 cm) in diameter. Cut into shorter sticks with scissors. Spread on a sheet of non-stick baking parchment and leave for over 24 hours. Store in an airtight container.

Going to give it a try.... as soon as I get a thermometer (I am a sweetie eater rather than maker - cupcakes are more my thing!)

Back
Top Bottom