"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 07-02-2004, 09:32 AM   #11
Head Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to tancowgirl2000
I wanna make a meat loaf for supper tonight. Thing is I want something off the wall.....with a bang...or something. I usually use eggs, ,crackers, garlic, oregano, seasoning salt. I like Sushi's cheese idea but I ain't got none of that. What blend of spices/herbs would make your feet get knocked off, so to speak? What about a stuffed meat loaf? Anyone with an idea for that? I have one with rice, green pepper and speghetti sauce but hubby no like green pepper or the sauce....any ideas?

Thanks, Tanis

Old 07-02-2004, 12:20 PM   #12
Everymom

Hey Tanis...I don't know about stuffing a meatloaf...but I do know that when I put dried chilis in the loaf it give it extra ZIP. I do onions, garlic, salt, pepper, chilies and then let people top with ketchup if necessary...ugh!

Old 07-02-2004, 12:39 PM   #13
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tancowgirl2000
What about a stuffed meat loaf? Anyone with an idea for that? I have one with rice, green pepper and speghetti sauce but hubby no like green pepper or the sauce....any ideas?Thanks, Tanis
I've never tried a stuffed meat loaf, but if your husband doesn't like the Italian one, how about Chinese or Mexican? Use the rice and sweet and sour sauce, water chestnuts, bean sprouts, etc., or for Mexican use the rice, salsa or enchilada sauce, etc.

:) Barbara
Old 07-02-2004, 12:42 PM   #14
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
...and then let people top with ketchup if necessary...ugh!
How funny! My mom and I were exact opposites when it came to ketchup on meatloaf. She liked it on her hot meatloaf and I didn't. The next day when we made sandwiches, though, I put ketchup on my sandwich and she didn't!

Old 07-02-2004, 12:51 PM   #15
Executive Chef

I worked with a guy who stuffed his with cheese.
Old 07-02-2004, 12:55 PM   #16
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainee
I worked with a guy who stuffed his with cheese.
I love it stuffed with cheese. :) My mom put a big dill pickle in the middle of a meatloaf once, and it was very good. I think olives would be good too. I had a cheeseburger at some place in Riverside, California once that had sliced green olives in it, and it was great!

Old 07-02-2004, 05:01 PM   #17
Head Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to tancowgirl2000
Thaks for your thoughts on this one.....I think I may just try doing a mexican theme thingy with it and see what happens....

Tanis
Old 07-02-2004, 06:29 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Hey tancowgirl!! What about adding some chipotles in adobo? It wouldn't take many - chop up pretty fine - maybe even some cilantro and lime juice?

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 09:54 PM   #19
DC Grandma

the best meatloaf recipe you know.

When my son cooked dinner for the first time for his girlfriend, he used a meatloaf recipe from a Betty Crocker cook book. After mixing the meat loaf he patted it out flat..placed thin sliced ham on it and I think brocolli..rolled it up and baked it. She must have liked it because in Aug. they will celebrate their 25th Anniversery..and John still does all the cooking...
Marge

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 09:41 PM   #20

Going with meat loaf as a concept, and nobody is writing on how to do it "cheaply" (a good sign of collective economies!) :D

So okay, lets kick it up there and use some pricier ingredients to add to the taste...

Instead of using 2 lbs of ground chuck, ask the butcher to grind up a 2 lb sirloin steak with some serious fat on it...(the fat will make it taste better, and otherwise its too lean and dry)

THREE eggs, and, with conciousness to health, we'll use the Omega 3 varietal...

Keeping up with the health thing, add a cup of large flake oatmeal...

2 tablespoons minced garlic

One can of tomato paste (I'm talking the mini-cans, about 3 ounces)

A tablespoon each of Marjoram, Kosher Salt and paprika

A cup of shredded Asiago cheese (sigh! okay, I'm in an "Italian rich" area, for those that aren't, used shredded "old" cheddar, or Romano, or Parmesan)

A cup of the "genuine" bacon bits (NOT artificial!) or, failing that a cup of finely chopped ham

1-1.5 cups of diced Vidalia onion

A cup of BBQ steak sauce, tomato based, I use the Diana brand...

Okay, here's a secret! 2 cups of crushed ice!

Quickly now!

Mix at all together, and try to avoid arriving at a munched together mass...we want it relatively loose, as opposed a crunched together source...

And yes, lets use a bread pan to cook it in...and a meat thermometer to tell us when its "done" to medium...

Damn! I'd love to try those hot peppers and/or chili flakes in this, but my wife would go ballistic...

Lifter

Tags
None