ISO Good Meatball Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jessica_Morris

Senior Cook
Hey Everybody, I've been looking for a good meatball recipe, does anyone have one that they wouldn't mind sharing? I've only made meatballs once from a recipe I found online, but we didn't quiet like them and they were extremely expensive to make. Open to any new recipes...

Thanks, in advance!

Here you go, Jessica.

Meatballs (Polpetti)

3 Tb Olive Oil
1 Small Onion, minced
3 Garlic, minced
1 Lb Ground Beef
1 Lb Ground Veal
½ Lb Ground Pork
1¼ C Bread Crumbs
¾ C Pecorino Romano, grated
2 Tb Italian Parsley, chopped
TT S&P
3 Eggs

Place 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Sauté the onion and garlic for 3 minutes or until the onion is translucent. Set aside to cool.

In a large bowl, thoroughly combine all the ingredients including the cooled onion mixture.

Shape the mixture into balls approximately the size of a large egg. You should end up with 24 meatballs.

Brown the meatballs in the remaining olive oil. Add to Sunday Ragu to complete cooking. Deglaze the pan with some of the sauce and return it to the pot.

Andy M's recipe is excellent. We substitute ground turkey for the beef, veal, and pork because my wife will not touch any beef. All of the rest of the ingredients are about the same and the eggs, plus bread crumbs, hold the mixture together. Our grandkids are nuts for these meatballs which we make, of course, with spaghetti.

Thanks Everyone for your comments :) I really appreciate them! Will definitely be cooking up some meatballs soon with some spaghetti sauce so DH can have him a meatball sub.

After seeing these meatballs in a Bobby Flay "Throw Down", I had to try them. I've been using the recipe ever since. I do sub parm for the romano.

Grandma Maronis Meatballs 100 Year Old Recipe Recipe : Food Network

Craig, I also bake mine in the oven. Beats standing over the stove and getting splattered with grease. But I put a rack on the cookie sheet. It speeds up the baking and the meatballs aren't sitting in any of the grease. I just have to turn them once. :yum: There is such a difference in the flavor when you put them in the oven than when you fry them. Definitely oven every time! :angel:

I forgot to mention that I use fresh bread crumbs. I'm also not that fond of parsley, so I use 1 oz of it and 1 oz of fresh oregano.

Addie, I also use a rack.

I forgot to mention that I use fresh bread crumbs. I'm also not that fond of parsley, so I use 1 oz of it and 1 oz of fresh oregano.

Addie, I also use a rack.

The rack does make a difference. The meatballs are not sitting in a pool of grease like they would if you sautéed them. I am all for cutting the grease without sacrificing the flavor. :angel:

I tend to prefer lightly sauteeing the finely chopped onions first, cooling and then adding them to the meat mix. I prefer the flavour and texture of this in a meatball.

I use a micro plane to "grate" the onion. Its more of a liquid than actual onion pieces. Really nothing there to saute.

Last edited by a moderator:
CraigC; I use a micro plane to "grate" the onion. Its more of a liquid than actual onion pieces. Really nothing there to saute.[/QUOTE said:
I use a mini FP for the veggies then sauté them for the flavor that adds. I don't like chunks of onion in meatballs.

CraigC; I use a micro plane to "grate" the onion. Its more of a liquid than actual onion pieces. Really nothing there to saute.[/QUOTE said:
What a great idea! I think I'll do that next time I make frikadeller. Some pieces of onion fall off while I'm frying the frikadeller and the onion pieces get burnt.

Andy and Craig, thank you for the yummy sounding meatball recipes. Copied and saved. I might have to devote some time to making up a bunch of meatballs to freeze this weekend. :yum:

Like I have always told my kids, "if you want to know the truth, go to the experts. After all it is their product, so they should know best." Works for me. :angel:

Careful, they just might have an agenda or product to push!:ohmy:

I use the standard Italian recipe that I grew up with and can be found in any cookbook that features Italian cooking. Nothing special that stands out. But I do have admit, I love Swedish meatballs. I think even more than Italian. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom