"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 03-13-2007, 03:19 PM   #1
Head Chef

Need Help ASAP

I am having corned beef tonight (2 couples coming over). I am thinking that I put it in too soon. I have 2 briskets - one is a little over 3 pounds and the other about 2 + lobs. The pkg called for cooking 1 hour at 300 deg. for each pound of meat. I figured 5 hours plus standing time. Do you think I'm okay or should I pull it out and cut back on the time?

Old 03-13-2007, 03:23 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

You don't need to add the cooking times together. You can cook the larger for three hours and put the smaller one in the oven after one hour and they will be done at the same time.

Old 03-13-2007, 03:37 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Ditto on what Andy M. said. I like mine falling apart so I usually end up cooking a bit more than the package says....a "bit" more.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:46 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Andy's recommendation is dead on and, as Vicky said, you can even leave the meat in a little longer. I, too, like mine falling apart tender. You should be just fine. It won't be long before your house will start to smell really, really good. What time's dinner?
Old 03-13-2007, 03:54 PM   #5
Head Chef

Thank you for the advice

Thank you all for the advice. Company coming at 5:30 for drinks and dinner at about 6:30 or so. I have already cooked both pieces of meat for 2 hours, but pulled it out of the oven and will finish cooking the larger piece for about another hour and just put the smaller piece back in to heat through. I'll cook my veggies while the meat rests. Think this will work??
Old 03-13-2007, 04:01 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

should be fine on the meat, lyndalou. Cooking time for your veggies may take longer than meat-resting time, depending on what you are fixing.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:45 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Lynda,
If it were me, I'd go with a longer cooking time as kitchenelf said..I can tell you, corned beef that doesn't fall apart is like chewing a rubber band! I never cook mine in the oven anymore we prefer the moistness of one cooked in water or broth..I'd take a small slice off each one and see how chewy they are, then decide if you want to cook it more or remove and re-heat.

kadesma
Old 03-13-2007, 04:49 PM   #8
Master Chef

Not that this helps you much now, but I fully agree with Kadesma. I do my corned beef in simmering water. Comes out moist, tender, flavorful, & the leftovers are the same as well - perfect for those terrific Reuben sandwiches.

In fact, I've never even heard of roasting corned beef in the oven. Since it's a definitive "pot roast" cut, why would you even want to roast it in the oven?
Old 03-13-2007, 04:54 PM   #9
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
In fact, I've never even heard of roasting corned beef in the oven. Since it's a definitive "pot roast" cut, why would you even want to roast it in the oven?

I agree, I have always seen it boiled for hours in broth and with cabbage or what not.

I think that the cooking time would be pretty long to roast it to the point where it is fork tender, but good luck anyways!

Let us know who it turned out!
Old 03-13-2007, 05:58 PM   #10
Sous Chef

I cooked a 3 1/2# corned beef a couple of days ago for 2 hours. And then turn off the oven. You can't really carve it while it is very hot, in my opinion. And I did mine in the oven @300* in a dutch oven.

Tags
None