"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 12-18-2007, 10:57 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Shopping for groceries on line

i don't know if anyone has acess or not. the von's store where i live, delievers groceries to my house

you must spend at least fifty dollars , to qualify. the fee is 9.95 .

i plan my meals roughly in my head. i shop for a month. might to have to buy milk and bread during the month. but that is it.

my order is always high, round 300.00 so my fee is reduced to 4.99. you get savings on the store card but can't use coupons.

i don't drive so was spending ten dollars on cabs. then having to wait for cab precluded ice cream etc. then dragging in house.

the market brings to my house and into my kitchen. we are not allowed to tip.

have been doing this for about a year. i love it, love it, love it.

sorta buy basics ie chicken parts, family pks of steak, chops fish etch and freeze in meal size portions.

if having guests during the month , i plan a menu and buy all the stuff.

if it is in your area, check it out.

babe

Old 12-18-2007, 11:03 PM   #2
Master Chef

I've heard of people buying groceries on line but haven't tried it yet. It might help curb impulse shopping if I just turned over a list to the store and said send it over. I tend to always buy more than my list because, "dang those roasts look good today" or "hey, my favorite cookies are buy one get one free!" when I had no intention of buying either of those things!

Old 12-19-2007, 12:10 AM   #3
Head Chef

When I still lived in the US, I used to use Homegrocer.com, which went out of business just before I left. But it was wonderful, especially when I had big orders with large bags of pet food, turkey, watermelon, etc. No schlepping things out to the car, into the house, etc. And I figured that by avoiding impulse buying, I was more than paying for the delivery fee. Also forces you to plan your menus more carefully and use everything more efficiently. Great idea - I loved it.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:34 AM   #4
Executive Chef

The only problem I found over here was if something was out of stock, they would sub it something totally different, and often it would be something key.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:28 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman View Post
The only problem I found over here was if something was out of stock, they would sub it something totally different, and often it would be something key.

here there is a place for a note to your shopper. can say no sub. or sub with another brand or size.

works very well

babe

Tags
None