"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 08-26-2004, 02:27 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Thats a long way to get some beef. Thirtytwo hour drive. I had to edit the map....it took to much room.

Old 08-26-2004, 02:29 PM   #22
Everymom

Worth it.

Old 08-26-2004, 02:48 PM   #23
Executive Chef

He was probably just a born again new age vegetarian hippie or something. It's true that Cali is not known as a big beef eating state, as opposed the states in the midwest, but they still eat their fair share. I mean c'mon, LA might have more Mexican restaurants per square mile than any other city in the U.S., and they use a ton a beef (mmm...taquitos!!!)

That groomsman was just a perfect example of how you can't and shouldn't judge a place or it's people just from the opinions of one person. I mean, if the only person you ever met from Texas was George Bush, it would be unfair to classify that everyone from Texas is an idiot.
Old 08-26-2004, 04:03 PM   #24
Everymom

Trust me ironchef...I am not judging everyone just by this guy! I know better than that. BUT...he did say that Mad Cow has everyone absolutely mental down there. Living in a province where nearly everyone has some connection to the beef industry, I have seen people who SHOULD know better make stupid comments about eating beef. So, what I am saying the long way (sorry!) is that it was not hard for me to believe that a knee jerk reaction had taken place and that people were not eating much beef there. Thanks for your input and let me know what things are like when you get there.

BTW...LMAO at the Texas comment.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:13 PM   #25
Head Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to tancowgirl2000
The whole senerio with the BSE is compete BS I think. I mean the disease has probably been there for years! It didnt happen over night. What alot of people dont realize...sorry to say..but especially city folk....is that your whole kitchen pantry, fridge, freezer is a product of the farming communtiy....if you dont support your beef you dont support farmers. In a shortt, you shouldnt be drinking milk, enjoying a cob of corn, salad, nor the side of meat that you want to have. If you are worried about BSE don't eat the cuts close to the spinal cord. But all in all you just cant turn your back on farmers...any which way you look at it....k maybe i went off topic so i will resume.....

SUPPORT ANY BEEF.....OK ESPECIALLY ALBERTA!!!!
Old 08-27-2004, 07:17 PM   #26
Master Chef

Wagyu Beef is as was stated, a Japanese cow. Kobe beef is not only fed special ingredients (beer being one of them), but has to come from the Kobe region in the foothills of Mount Fuji, just as true Champaine must come from the Champaine region of France.

And the Kobe beef is indeed a massaged and pampered animal. But is is fed beer, not massaged with it. You know that familiar beer gut on people who liek thier brew, well that same high carb/high calorie drink creates lots of fat in the Kobe cow. But unlike us humans, it tends to marble the muscle tissue, not surround it. That, and too little exercise results in a very tender piece of meat.

I know the history, but sadly, have never had the pleasure of either beef type.

I do know however, that USDA Prime, corn-finished Black-Angus beef is extremely tender, and has a robust flavor to rival anything in the world. I have had this beef come out so tender, that it literall seems to melt in your mouth. Couple that texture with the flavor and you have a winning combination.

Choose the rib-steak that is about three back from the chuck for the best cut on the carcass. This is hard-to-find stuff, and is not cheap. But it can be found, if you know a local bucher. And it's well worth every penny.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North
Old 09-07-2004, 04:59 PM   #27
Certified Executive Chef

BEEF

Hey tancowgirl2000 I am in Eugene, OR. Where can I get the Alberta beef, is it imported this far south of the border? We get Niman here and Black Angus, and the local beef as well. Actually the best beef I ever had was when I was at a family reunion in Oslo, Norway. Most of the beef there is from the Kings royal herd. ALso there I had roasted Reindeer and that almost was the best beef, as it did not taste gamey or anything like venison which I refuse to eat.

GO DUCKS
Old 09-08-2004, 10:40 AM   #28
Assistant Cook

I just ate a 1lb. Black Angus tenderized Ribeye steak medium rare,,,,,,MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM GOOD
Old 09-08-2004, 01:12 PM   #29
Everymom

Norgeskog...I don't think there is much being shipped over the border as of yet. The only thing you might be able to get is boneless cuts of beef. I don't know how they market it there, but here it says Alberta beef right on the package. There it might say nothing at all. If your beef says "Imported" that might be it...but really...who can say?
Old 09-11-2004, 05:59 PM   #30
Everymom

Hey, just learned something that might interest you all. In the days before BSE closed the border, Alberta beef was often marked USDA prime since it depends on where the beef is processed rather than where it originated. I thought that was an interesting piece of trivia. So all of you saying USDA prime is the best...you were right! And it is entirely possible your beef came from Alberta. Funny. Nice to know we were all right.

Tags
None