The BEST beef! What's your opinion?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thats a long way to get some beef. :LOL: Thirtytwo hour drive. I had to edit the map....it took to much room.

He was probably just a born again new age vegetarian hippie or something. It's true that Cali is not known as a big beef eating state, as opposed the states in the midwest, but they still eat their fair share. I mean c'mon, LA might have more Mexican restaurants per square mile than any other city in the U.S., and they use a ton a beef (mmm...taquitos!!!)

That groomsman was just a perfect example of how you can't and shouldn't judge a place or it's people just from the opinions of one person. I mean, if the only person you ever met from Texas was George Bush, it would be unfair to classify that everyone from Texas is an idiot.

Trust me ironchef...I am not judging everyone just by this guy! I know better than that. BUT...he did say that Mad Cow has everyone absolutely mental down there. Living in a province where nearly everyone has some connection to the beef industry, I have seen people who SHOULD know better make stupid comments about eating beef. So, what I am saying the long way (sorry!) is that it was not hard for me to believe that a knee jerk reaction had taken place and that people were not eating much beef there. Thanks for your input and let me know what things are like when you get there.

BTW...LMAO at the Texas comment.

The whole senerio with the BSE is compete BS I think. I mean the disease has probably been there for years! It didnt happen over night. What alot of people dont realize...sorry to say..but especially city folk....is that your whole kitchen pantry, fridge, freezer is a product of the farming communtiy....if you dont support your beef you dont support farmers. In a shortt, you shouldnt be drinking milk, enjoying a cob of corn, salad, nor the side of meat that you want to have. If you are worried about BSE don't eat the cuts close to the spinal cord. But all in all you just cant turn your back on farmers...any which way you look at it....k maybe i went off topic so i will resume.....

SUPPORT ANY BEEF.....OK ESPECIALLY ALBERTA!!!!

Wagyu Beef is as was stated, a Japanese cow. Kobe beef is not only fed special ingredients (beer being one of them), but has to come from the Kobe region in the foothills of Mount Fuji, just as true Champaine must come from the Champaine region of France.

And the Kobe beef is indeed a massaged and pampered animal. But is is fed beer, not massaged with it. You know that familiar beer gut on people who liek thier brew, well that same high carb/high calorie drink creates lots of fat in the Kobe cow. But unlike us humans, it tends to marble the muscle tissue, not surround it. That, and too little exercise results in a very tender piece of meat.

I know the history, but sadly, have never had the pleasure of either beef type.

I do know however, that USDA Prime, corn-finished Black-Angus beef is extremely tender, and has a robust flavor to rival anything in the world. I have had this beef come out so tender, that it literall seems to melt in your mouth. Couple that texture with the flavor and you have a winning combination.

Choose the rib-steak that is about three back from the chuck for the best cut on the carcass. This is hard-to-find stuff, and is not cheap. But it can be found, if you know a local bucher. And it's well worth every penny.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

BEEF

Hey tancowgirl2000 I am in Eugene, OR. Where can I get the Alberta beef, is it imported this far south of the border? We get Niman here and Black Angus, and the local beef as well. Actually the best beef I ever had was when I was at a family reunion in Oslo, Norway. Most of the beef there is from the Kings royal herd. ALso there I had roasted Reindeer and that almost was the best beef, as it did not taste gamey or anything like venison which I refuse to eat.

:mrgreen: :LOL: GO DUCKS

I just ate a 1lb. Black Angus tenderized Ribeye steak medium rare,,,,,,MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM GOOD

Norgeskog...I don't think there is much being shipped over the border as of yet. The only thing you might be able to get is boneless cuts of beef. I don't know how they market it there, but here it says Alberta beef right on the package. There it might say nothing at all. If your beef says "Imported" that might be it...but really...who can say?

Hey, just learned something that might interest you all. In the days before BSE closed the border, Alberta beef was often marked USDA prime since it depends on where the beef is processed rather than where it originated. I thought that was an interesting piece of trivia. So all of you saying USDA prime is the best...you were right! And it is entirely possible your beef came from Alberta. Funny. Nice to know we were all right.

barbourman said:
I had my first Wago Beef Cheeseburger yesterday. It was, by far, the best I've eaten. Anyone else ever try Wago? Its a Japanese beef. The restaurant uses the same beef that sells for $75 a steak in New York.

Also, I couldn't find any, .....can anyone find a site online that has information about Wago Beef please?

Thanks!

they have in the store here. not the wagyu, but the kobe. don't know whether to try it or not?
they have lots of sites, just look around and you'll find plenty.

The Japanese make great tvs, but I'm not about to pay 75 bucks a pound for a cow that has been rubbed with beer. I'll buy American beef and either drink the beer or rub myself with it. I'll put the local beef I bought today against anything that is out there - 120 mile round trip, but worth it!

Otter said:
The Japanese make great tvs, but I'm not about to pay 75 bucks a pound for a cow that has been rubbed with beer. I'll buy American beef and either drink the beer or rub myself with it. I'll put the local beef I bought today against anything that is out there - 120 mile round trip, but worth it!

I hear ya :!: :LOL:

While wagyu beef is very good, you have to be careful how you cook it. The super premium price, however, makes this kind of beef less than perfect in my eyes.

If you're ever in NYC, go to Peter Luger Steakhouse where you'll have the best steak ever. They serve a true dry aged prime porterhouse. This is what an All American steak should taste like. The ambience is not exactly Ruth's Chris or Morton's but the food and service makes up for it.

This is a real New York steakhouse experience. The backstory of this restaurant is that it's owned and run by women. Sort of like how the Brennan women run Commander's Palace in New Orleans. At Peter Luger's, the women actually choose the quarters of meat that they will age in their restaurant. They do all the buying at the meat wholesale markets every morning.

Take cash because they don't accept credit cards.

Psiguyy said:
While wagyu beef is very good, you have to be careful how you cook it. The super premium price, however, makes this kind of beef less than perfect in my eyes.

If you're ever in NYC, go to Peter Luger Steakhouse where you'll have the best steak ever. They serve a true dry aged prime porterhouse. This is what an All American steak should taste like. The ambience is not exactly Ruth's Chris or Morton's but the food and service makes up for it.

This is a real New York steakhouse experience. The backstory of this restaurant is that it's owned and run by women. Sort of like how the Brennan women run Commander's Palace in New Orleans. At Peter Luger's, the women actually choose the quarters of meat that they will age in their restaurant. They do all the buying at the meat wholesale markets every morning.

yeah, psiguyy, peter luger's is awesome. i never knew all of that about the place. thanks for the info. i know they were rated as having one of the best burgers in the city "cause they use trimmings from the same meat to make the burgers.

Take cash because they don't accept credit cards.

I've eaten all sorts of Cdn and US beef in my time, from the absolutely delectable "pick your own steak" at the Cattleman's Restaurant (beside "Billy-Bob's) in Fort Worth to the near inedible corn fed, "anthrax poisoned" corn fed crap offered up in the Maritimes from the USA...

Being borne and raised in the Cdn west, their beef, in fact ROCKS...

Living in southern Ontario, where most of the beef goes down to the States (and so we got treated to a whacking pile of tri-tip roasts at super discount pricing due to the USA embargo on our farmers and ranchers), if you find a butcher that buys the top end, and ages it properly, then, with apologies to westerners, its every bit as good...

The whole system suffers (or sucks!) from the fact that in Canada at least, there are about 64 grades of beef, none of which the average consumer understands, and I expect its not much different in the States.

USDA "probably" only grades what is in fact "edible", as the USA is a market driven economy, that, if its "edible" by grading, there's a ton of smoke and mirrors about the "quality" thing...

In my own opinion, if you want good burgers, you must address both the meat and the cooking method equally...

To address the meat, and wishing to address the Kobe beef position, buy a great steak or three, adjust the fat content if and as required by cooking method, and have them "ground" to order...

Again in my own opinion, the only way to get "superlative" burgers is on a BBQ, with a good deal of mesquite smoke added, indirect cooking and a great deal of patience (ie some cold beer and a radio'd football game or a good book!)

"Structuring" the build of that burger is a matter of taste, which can get pretty regional, as the additives are many and distinguished; what's ideal in Alberta will likely not pass in Texas, even if acceptable in Ontario...a whole different concept...and the condiments we use for our burgers vary widely!

Having meat that is "gauranteed aged" to at least 21 days means eating the good stuff...if you have a ton of money and an honest, compliant butcher, who actually does what you ask, then 28 days of aging will shrink it a lot more but make it that much better...there is a demand for 35 day meat here at the top end of the market that I'd like to try...if I can afford much better than the hamburger meat, of course!

Just don't expect this stuff at $1.85 a pound at A+P or Safeway, Wynn Dixie or whatever, as those guys "age" the meat on the shelf, and buy the cheapest carcasses...

Any of you try buffalo as a meat, to compare with beef? That's an eye opener!
Far better taste, as long as we never tip off the Japanese!

Well don't expect Kobe style beef here any time soon- when my husband was in grad school in animal science the beef farm guys started a research project to feed beer to feeder cattle. WELL when taken out of context by the unknowing public and our elected officials -WHAT COWS FED BEER! - there was an outcry and the project was cited as ridiculus and what is wrong with state run universities and dropped for being a waste of academic dollars. Little did they know the real economic impact it could have made to the US beef industry and to our stomachs. I was in school for 8 years and have seen way more wastes of research dollars than that. Just a sidebar. Alas I have never had Kobe beef either but will jump at the chance.

just had some aussie beef, filet mignons to be exact. they were awesome!!!!!! they're supposedly grass fed, range raised. all i know is they were deelish,. very tender, nice flavor. fil mig is one of the only cuts of steak i won't mess with. no spices or sauces, just a little pepper and salt, so the real beef taste is the experience. these were some of the best i've ever had.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom