Berliner Currywurst

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Timothy

Head Chef
Curry Sauce

Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.

Add the onion, cook the onion until soft about 8 to 10 minutes.

Add curry powder and paprika, cook for 1 minute more.

Add crushed tomatoes and tomato ketchup.

Add sugar, red wine vinegar and salt; stir well.

Increase heat to high; bring to a boil.

Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened about 25 minutes.

Purée sauce in a blender or food processor until smooth. Serve hot over sausage.

Makes 1 1/2 cups.

Knackwurst Preparation

First, buy only the short, plump, pork/veal type Knackwurst.

The package ingredients should include Pork, Veal and Garlic.

With Knackwurst, you get what you pay for mostly, so buy the best.

Then, cook it over direct heat until the casing has ballooned and looks as though it will explode.

It should have little burned spots on it from the heat and the casing should be crisp.

Serving

Put one or two sausages on each plate and cut them on the diagonal into one bite pieces. Let the slices relax, but stay put in a row with gaps between each slice.

Ladle the sauce over the sections and then sprinkle curry powder and hot paprika over it as a thorough dusting.

Serve with potato salad and fries.

In Germany, fries are served with mayo, not ketchup and their potato salad had more vinegar in it then American potato salad does. The potatoes are also not cooked as much and still have a firmness to them when eating.

Eat well!

Attachments

• curry1.jpg
    curry1.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 726
  • curry2.jpg
    curry2.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 361
That looks very good.
Any guesstimate on the ingredient amounts?

By German potato salad, do you mean served warm? That's the only kind of German potato salad I've ever had. It usually has bacon in it, also.

That looks very good.
Any guesstimate on the ingredient amounts?

By German potato salad, do you mean served warm? That's the only kind of German potato salad I've ever had. It usually has bacon in it, also.

Everything is pretty much to your own taste. When applying the curry powder and paprika mix, the server customarily looks to the person who will be eating it after applying a scant covering as if to ask "Would you like more?".

The curry powder and paprika are mixed half and half in the shaker.

Yes, the potato salad is always served warm in Germany. Unless on a picnic. Thank you for mentioning that. I forgot to.

I might have to eat these tonight......:pig::pig::pig::chef:

Last edited:
To taste, lol.
Without a starting point on that sauce, to taste could come up with just about anything. I might as well open a bottle of SBR and sprinkle curry powder in it :LOL:
Will yellow curry work?

To taste, lol.
Without a starting point on that sauce, to taste could come up with just about anything. I might as well open a bottle of SBR and sprinkle curry powder in it :LOL:
Will yellow curry work?

Ha! :LOL:

With the primary ingredients being curry, paprika and tomato sauce, the strength of the curry and paprika can be mild to very, very strong.

I've never measured it. I just add curry and paprika until it looks like the amount I would like. ;)

Try adding some to the pan, simmer a bit and taste. If you would like more, then add more and simmer a bit and then taste it again until you arrive at your own strength of flavor.

The second time, you'll know the measurements if you write them down. :ROFLMAO:

OK. I thought the recipe was for an authentic German dish.
Maybe I'll play around with it some day.

OK. I thought the recipe was for an authentic German dish.
Maybe I'll play around with it some day.

It is an authentic German dish.

I've seen this dish made by about 100 people. They put "this much" in their hand or "that much" directly into the pan. I've yet to see anyone measure anything put into currywurst sauce.

However, since you want a starting point, I'll provide one:

1 onion, minced
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste or two large crushed tomatoes.
3 tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3 tablespoons curry powder
1 tablespoon hot paprika
2 cups ketchup
1 cup water

I think the best thing to go with a currywurst is french fries... just my 2 cent...
and I never ever have Mayo with the fries.. :yuk:

Tim,
did I read it right, you boiled the wurst? I've never ever seen boiled Currywust, normally they are fried..
Just had one in the Biergarten on Thursday, and I must admit, it was horrible, don't think I'll ever have Currywurst there again..

If you ever come to Frankfurt/Main go and see if you find "Best Worscht in Town", they are said to have G's best Currywurst, I don't know, haven't been in FFM for ages..

I'm of German descent, and have always wanted to try this. I think it would be a great Snack for friends watching Nascar.

But when you say, "Curry Powder", is that just the simple Green Powder, that you can buy in any American grocery Spice Isle? I haven't had that since the '70's!

Here in Austin, we have a large variety of Ethnic stores, and they sell all kinds of "Curry Powder", or even Red Curry Paste from Thailand..

Thanks, Eric, Austin Tx.

take the one you like most.. there are no "rules" as to what to put on your currywurst..
but I must admit, I've never ever seen green Curry powder

Here a couple of pix..

perhaps I'm going color blind. The second one I've always called Green!

I use this Red curry powder for Thai soups with Coconut milk..

The Green (Yellow) I haven't used since my Hippy Days back in the '70's..

Eric, Austin Tx.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 309
  • Curry-Powder_COB_Shadow.png
    Curry-Powder_COB_Shadow.png
    143.1 KB · Views: 291
I sometimes make the currypowder by myself... but thats not the right thing for a currywurst, I must admit

I think the best thing to go with a currywurst is french fries... just my 2 cent...
and I never ever have Mayo with the fries.. :yuk:

Tim,
did I read it right, you boiled the wurst? I've never ever seen boiled Currywust, normally they are fried..
Just had one in the Biergarten on Thursday, and I must admit, it was horrible, don't think I'll ever have Currywurst there again..

If you ever come to Frankfurt/Main go and see if you find "Best Worscht in Town", they are said to have G's best Currywurst, I don't know, haven't been in FFM for ages..

No, that recipe is one I dug up for pacanis, who needed measurements for each part. I tried boiling the wurst once and didn't care for it that way. It tasted "washed out". Grilling is much better for wurst IMO!

I'd love to return to Germany for a long visit. I plan a month there in the next year or two. When I was in Berlin, the wall was still up. I'd love to see the city now with the two sides joined. I worked as an Embassy Guard at the Allied Control Authority building in Berlin. It was a great job and right in the middle of the city.

If I go through Frankfurt/Main, I'll sure look up that place! Thanks! The last time I was in Frankfurt/Main was to pick up someone and return to Berlin. I didn't get a single minute to look around. What a drag!

Haha, send me some in a box! :LOL:

Last edited:
Here a couple of pix..

perhaps I'm going color blind. The second one I've always called Green!

I use this Red curry powder for Thai soups with Coconut milk..

The Green (Yellow) I haven't used since my Hippy Days back in the '70's..

Eric, Austin Tx.

You may see colors differently than other people. One of my sisters is like that. Yellow looks the same as light green to her.

You might want to try that green/yellow curry in some rice. It's wonderful that way. I love it when I make a rice/sausage type curried gumbo.

The only type of curry I like on wurst is the red "hot" curries. There must be a thousand mixes of curry powder in India alone. I have all the parts, but I usually get lazy and use the prepared curry powders.

Berlin has changed a lot, not only for good...
But come and see yourself, it is worth it!
Take your time and see more of this beautiful country!

I'd love to return to Germany for a long visit. I plan a month there in the next year or two. When I was in Berlin, the wall was still up. I'd love to see the city now with the two sides joined. I worked as an Embassy Guard at the Allied Control Authority building in Berlin. It was a great job and right in the middle of the city.

If I go through Frankfurt/Main, I'll sure look up that place! Thanks! The last time I was in Frankfurt/Main was to pick up someone and return to Berlin. I didn't get a single minute to look around. What a drag!

Haha, send me some in a box! :LOL:

Berlin has changed a lot, not only for good...
But come and see yourself, it is worth it!
Take your time and see more of this beautiful country!
Yes, my friends in Berlin tell me that the joining of the "Berlins" has quite a negative effect on the local economy and jobs. With the wage differences that were in effect on the two sides, I can only imagine.

Germany is indeed a wonderful country. Beautiful land, wonderful people and awesome foods! I enjoyed my entire stay there. I wasn't able to leave Berlin much during the three years, but I sure got to see a lot *in* Berlin!

Back to the recipe though..

which of the two pictured Curry Powders, would you use?

I can get Bratwurst here, don't know about Knockwurst..

The Nascar Race is tommorrow!

I think I'll buy frozen French Fries, but make them in the deep fryer..

I'll serve with Chipotle mayo!

Thanks, Eric.

Back
Top Bottom