"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 08-05-2011, 05:26 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Berliner Currywurst

Curry Sauce

Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.

Add the onion, cook the onion until soft about 8 to 10 minutes.

Add curry powder and paprika, cook for 1 minute more.

Add crushed tomatoes and tomato ketchup.

Add sugar, red wine vinegar and salt; stir well.

Increase heat to high; bring to a boil.

Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened about 25 minutes.

Purée sauce in a blender or food processor until smooth. Serve hot over sausage.

Makes 1 1/2 cups.

Knackwurst Preparation

First, buy only the short, plump, pork/veal type Knackwurst.

The package ingredients should include Pork, Veal and Garlic.

With Knackwurst, you get what you pay for mostly, so buy the best.

Then, cook it over direct heat until the casing has ballooned and looks as though it will explode.

It should have little burned spots on it from the heat and the casing should be crisp.

Serving

Put one or two sausages on each plate and cut them on the diagonal into one bite pieces. Let the slices relax, but stay put in a row with gaps between each slice.

Ladle the sauce over the sections and then sprinkle curry powder and hot paprika over it as a thorough dusting.

Serve with potato salad and fries.

In Germany, fries are served with mayo, not ketchup and their potato salad had more vinegar in it then American potato salad does. The potatoes are also not cooked as much and still have a firmness to them when eating.

Eat well!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	curry1.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	11702   Click image for larger version

Name:	curry2.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	11703  

Old 08-05-2011, 05:44 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

That looks very good.
Any guesstimate on the ingredient amounts?

By German potato salad, do you mean served warm? That's the only kind of German potato salad I've ever had. It usually has bacon in it, also.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:48 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
That looks very good.

By German potato salad, do you mean served warm? That's the only kind of German potato salad I've ever had. It usually has bacon in it, also.
Everything is pretty much to your own taste. When applying the curry powder and paprika mix, the server customarily looks to the person who will be eating it after applying a scant covering as if to ask "Would you like more?".

The curry powder and paprika are mixed half and half in the shaker.

Yes, the potato salad is always served warm in Germany. Unless on a picnic. Thank you for mentioning that. I forgot to.

I might have to eat these tonight......
Old 08-05-2011, 06:00 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

To taste, lol.
Without a starting point on that sauce, to taste could come up with just about anything. I might as well open a bottle of SBR and sprinkle curry powder in it
Will yellow curry work?
Old 08-05-2011, 06:13 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
To taste, lol.
Without a starting point on that sauce, to taste could come up with just about anything. I might as well open a bottle of SBR and sprinkle curry powder in it
Will yellow curry work?
Ha!

With the primary ingredients being curry, paprika and tomato sauce, the strength of the curry and paprika can be mild to very, very strong.

I've never measured it. I just add curry and paprika until it looks like the amount I would like.

Try adding some to the pan, simmer a bit and taste. If you would like more, then add more and simmer a bit and then taste it again until you arrive at your own strength of flavor.

The second time, you'll know the measurements if you write them down.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:17 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

OK. I thought the recipe was for an authentic German dish.
Maybe I'll play around with it some day.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:24 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
OK. I thought the recipe was for an authentic German dish.
Maybe I'll play around with it some day.
It is an authentic German dish.

I've seen this dish made by about 100 people. They put "this much" in their hand or "that much" directly into the pan. I've yet to see anyone measure anything put into currywurst sauce.

However, since you want a starting point, I'll provide one:

1 onion, minced
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste or two large crushed tomatoes.
3 tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3 tablespoons curry powder
1 tablespoon hot paprika
2 cups ketchup
1 cup water
Old 08-06-2011, 02:15 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
That looks very good.
I looked for a recipe that included amounts for you.

Here's one that is a good starting place:

Berliner Currywurst
Old 08-06-2011, 04:48 AM   #9
Master Chef

I think the best thing to go with a currywurst is french fries... just my 2 cent...
and I never ever have Mayo with the fries..

Tim,
did I read it right, you boiled the wurst? I've never ever seen boiled Currywust, normally they are fried..
Just had one in the Biergarten on Thursday, and I must admit, it was horrible, don't think I'll ever have Currywurst there again..

If you ever come to Frankfurt/Main go and see if you find "Best Worscht in Town", they are said to have G's best Currywurst, I don't know, haven't been in FFM for ages..
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:21 AM   #10
Sous Chef

I'm of German descent, and have always wanted to try this. I think it would be a great Snack for friends watching Nascar.

But when you say, "Curry Powder", is that just the simple Green Powder, that you can buy in any American grocery Spice Isle? I haven't had that since the '70's!

Here in Austin, we have a large variety of Ethnic stores, and they sell all kinds of "Curry Powder", or even Red Curry Paste from Thailand..

Thanks, Eric, Austin Tx.

Tags
pork, recipe, veal

Berliner Currywurst [B][U][SIZE=3]Curry Sauce[/SIZE][/U][/B] Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, cook the onion until soft about 8 to 10 minutes. Add curry powder and paprika, cook for 1 minute more. Add crushed tomatoes and tomato ketchup. Add sugar, red wine vinegar and salt; stir well. Increase heat to high; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened about 25 minutes. Purée sauce in a blender or food processor until smooth. Serve hot over sausage. Makes 1 1/2 cups. [B][U][SIZE=3]Knackwurst Preparation[/SIZE][/U][/B] First, buy only the short, plump, pork/veal type Knackwurst. The package ingredients should include Pork, Veal and Garlic. With Knackwurst, you get what you pay for mostly, so buy the best. Then, cook it over direct heat until the casing has ballooned and looks as though it will explode. It should have little burned spots on it from the heat and the casing should be crisp. [B][U][SIZE=3]Serving[/SIZE][/U][/B] Put one or two sausages on each plate and cut them on the diagonal into one bite pieces. Let the slices relax, but stay put in a row with gaps between each slice. Ladle the sauce over the sections and then sprinkle curry powder and hot paprika over it as a thorough dusting. Serve with potato salad and fries. In Germany, fries are served with mayo, not ketchup and their potato salad had more vinegar in it then American potato salad does. The potatoes are also not cooked as much and still have a firmness to them when eating. Eat well! 3 stars 1 reviews