Corn Breaded Pork Chop... suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PanchoHambre

Washing Up
I am not sure what I did wrong.... it wasn't bad how could it be but it was not the beautiful delightful thing I was hoping for.

I took a pork chop about 1" thick and tried to pound it... used an iron skillet this did not work out so well

Then I dipped in egg and then breaded with stone ground cornmeal.

Fried both sides in combo of bacon fat and canola (not enough bacon fat left after homefries) finished in oven

Served with applesauce and said home fries

It was good but came a little burnt looking and was too thick

should I have sliced the porkchop into two thin pieces?

I tried to have medium heat... maybe I was too hot?

I was afraid if I did not fry long enough it would not be crispy?

had a decent amount of fat in the pan (just less than 1/2")

where was my technique off? I wanted golden brown... not blackened.

I am not a great fryer

Pancho, perhaps you should have butterflied the chop. That would've made it a bit thinner. I think the thickness was the problem.

As for pounding, sometimes I use a ceramic plate and pound the meat with the edge of the plate. I'm not sure this translates well in words, but hold the plate in one hand and pound the meat with the edge of the plate. Ugh! Maybe still not good enough an explanation.

Your breading sounds fine. Egg, crumbs, etc.

When I fry my pork chops I use more bacon grease than you did and rather than frying them on medium high, I always use medium high at first, then turn the heat down to medium low after the chops are in. I make sure the grease is covering the pan at least one inch and is hot before putting the chops in.

For some reason, the slow gentle frying with minimal turning makes the pork chops tender and juicy. You would think it would be the reverse but it is not.

I am not sure what I did wrong.... it wasn't bad how could it be but it was not the beautiful delightful thing I was hoping for.

I took a pork chop about 1" thick and tried to pound it... used an iron skillet this did not work out so well

Then I dipped in egg and then breaded with stone ground cornmeal.

Fried both sides in combo of bacon fat and canola (not enough bacon fat left after homefries) finished in oven

Served with applesauce and said home fries

It was good but came a little burnt looking and was too thick

should I have sliced the porkchop into two thin pieces?

I tried to have medium heat... maybe I was too hot?

I was afraid if I did not fry long enough it would not be crispy?

had a decent amount of fat in the pan (just less than 1/2")

where was my technique off? I wanted golden brown... not blackened.

I am not a great fryer

I really don't know the answer, but I can tell you this. Whenever I've used cornmeal to bread, I wind up with burnt parts. I think that must have something to do with it.

Pancho, if you wanted it as thin as scallopini, say, then Katie's suggestion about butterflying it would have been better. Or your own suggestion about cutting it into two thin pieces. And then pounding it out a little more, maybe.

That way, frying it on both sides till brown would have cooked it through, no finishing in the oven necessary.

Lee

Back
Top Bottom