"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 01-17-2008, 06:55 PM   #21
Senior Cook

Ok. These were really thick, fat chunks of meat. I cooked them rubbed and covered at 300 for 2 1/2 hours with about 1/4 cup of apple juice and then uncovered them and put the sauce on. Then 350 for 30 minutes.

Very tender and juicy and flavorful. I will do this again.

Thanks to all.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:15 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart View Post
Got my answers and the "ribs" is cooking, and not off topic at all.

I guess since I paid $.99 and they had pork butts also for $.99, that my grocer may be unethical, but to stupid to gain from it
Retail grocery folks can be very creative with labeling.... giving cuts of meat different trendy, "in style" names in different parts of the country, all in the name of driving sales and profit. Old butchers, often times use terms that modern butchers have never heard of. All of which causes confusion amoung consumers...There was a time in the past in my area that true Country Style Ribs were labeled as such. The boston butt "ribs" were labeled "Western Style Ribs...Today the term "Country Style" has more (sales) appeal to the consumer than "Western Style", plus the True country style is hard to find, if not impossible in chain stores in my area. ...I "think" there should be some truth in labeling going on with these items....look for the key words....Shoulder or loin incorperated into the name on the label. They may be abbreviated, so read carefully. Both are very delicious, but it helps to know exactly what you have when deciding on cooking methods, times, etc.

Enjoy!!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 07:40 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozart
Very tender and juicy and flavorful. I will do this again.
.....And that's all that matters my friend!!

Old 01-17-2008, 07:47 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

I want pictures!
Old 01-17-2008, 07:53 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
What a great idea, Katie!

I'd love them with sauerkraut, but my husband hates and detests kraut.
Oh, Connie! I adore them cooked with sauerkraut and apples. So yummy. Great comfort food.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:39 AM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E
Oh, Connie! I adore them cooked with sauerkraut and apples. So yummy. Great comfort food.
How did you know what I had planned for tomorrow night?

I just sear them, add the kraut and apples on top, cover and simmer until done (30-45 minutes). I usually turn the ribs over after about 20 minutes or so and place them on top for the 2nd half of the cooking. The juice that cooks out of the kraut deglazes the pan, really adds some flavor to the kraut. I really like this with "Aunt Sally's sweet red cabbage" - unfortunately I can't find "Aunt Sally's" on this side of town, yet ...

Sometimes - I just salt & pepper and bake at 350F (great with cornbread dressing, baked sweet potato and some collard or mustard greens) .... sometimes I smear with a little BBQ sauce, put the top oven rack in the middle of the oven, and put under the broiler - turning after about 15 minutes and saucing the other side - again baked sweet 'tater and black-eye peas or greens and cornbread.

I also use them for "Pig 'n Pillows" - that's what my Grandpa called "chicken 'n' dumplins" made with pork.

And, smoke 'em or grill 'em ... yummy!!!!

Around here - if they are loin cut - they are labeled that way. And, at 99-cents/lb - I use them more than any other cut.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:41 AM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

I did some snooping yesterday while I was out and about. Three stores (two national chains, one independent) had "Country Style Ribs" on display, all were taken out of the pork shoulder butt. Two stores had them labeled correctly, albeit in small print. One store had them labeled incorrectly as Pork Loin Country style ribs in bold print... a violation of truth in labeling. A call to Kroger's district meat operations... said it would be addressed with the vendor who packages and labels the product for them.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:26 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

I've never seen pork on sale here for that cheap. Not even the store brand "assorted loin chops, family value pack", which are typically around the $1.69 range.
You guys with your .99/lb are making me jealous Those "ribs" in my pic were on sale for $1.99/lb
Old 05-02-2009, 02:05 PM   #29
Head Chef

to me pork is pork and i cant really tell a difference between pulled pork, baby backs, st louis style, and country style pork..
Old 05-04-2009, 10:12 AM   #30
Executive Chef

I cooked some last week. Rubbed them well with creole seasoning that we had doctored, added some apple juice to the pan (wine would have been better, but that's all I had), cooked at 225 for about 1 1/2 hours. I added some nothern beans for the last 1/2 hour or so. The meat was very juicy and tender. The beans were good too.

Tags
None