"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 06-12-2008, 09:25 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

I would expect it to take more than an hour. I do mine at 400F.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:43 PM   #12
Master Chef

I don't sear mine. I rub it with a package of dry onion soup mix, then put it, uncovered, in a 350 oven for about 45 minutes. Then we cover it with foil and continue cooking to a temp of 140. After that, we let it stand for 10 minutes.

Old 06-14-2008, 01:16 PM   #13
Executive Chef

So Legend, what was the final outcome.
How did you wind up cooking your porkloin and what were the results?
Old 06-14-2008, 09:08 PM   #14
Head Chef

I'm doing it tomorrow for fathers day. I got a center cut pork loin that's a little over 4lbs. The directions on the package say 25-30 minutes per pound in a 325 degree oven. Should I just make sure I follow these instructions that the sticker says. I had to get it from the butcher section as the ones on the shelves were only 2 pounders.

My plan was to sear it first and than do 375 degrees until done to probably 155 to be safe and than let it sit.

The other thing I'm rethinking is the butcher says that you wouldn't recommend searing it on the stove first. said he didn't think it would make much of a difference.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:18 PM   #15
Head Chef

I wrote this on another post, but thought I'd mention it here. I'd also like to do the following as I have done this with smaller roasts and it really comes out very good.

Layer your finely diced carrot, onion and celery in the bottom of a small roasting tray and put the bay leaf on top. These vegetables will soften and get lightly browned during roasting, which will give some depth to the gravy you’ll make with them at the end.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:19 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend_018 View Post
I'm doing it tomorrow for fathers day. I got a center cut pork loin that's a little over 4lbs. The directions on the package say 25-30 minutes per pound in a 325 degree oven. Should I just make sure I follow these instructions that the sticker says.
You can use that as a guide, but you should still check it with a thermometer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend_018 View Post
My plan was to sear it first and than do 375 degrees until done to probably 155 to be safe and than let it sit.

The other thing I'm rethinking is the butcher says that you wouldn't recommend searing it on the stove first. said he didn't think it would make much of a difference.
He's wrong Searing it creates a wonderful, flavorful browned crust on the outside, as well as leaving fond on the pan that you can use to make a pan sauce for the meat, if you want.

I've made a pork loin with a Cook's Illustrated recipe a few times - seared in a stainless steel pan, then roasted at 325 degrees in the same pan till the thermometer indicates 135 degrees; tent with foil and let rest till temp comes up to 150 degrees. HTH.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:33 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

legend, there are lots of ways to make this a tasty roast. If you want to sear it, then do so. But you don't have to.

If you want to cook it at 400 or 325 or another temperature, go for it. You can cook the roast properly at more than one temperature.

Don't stress out, do what you are comfortable with and enjoy the day.
Old 06-15-2008, 02:59 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
He's wrong Searing it creates a wonderful, flavorful browned crust on the outside, as well as leaving fond on the pan that you can use to make a pan sauce for the meat, if you want.
+1

There's a reason for that thing called the "Maillard Reaction". Purveyors don't always have the best information in regards to cooking their own product sometimes.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:09 PM   #19
Head Chef

I gave it a good searing and than popped it into the oven at 375 degrees until the temperature reached 155 and than I let it sit while I warmed up the homemade mashed potatoes and acorn squash/spinache/cheese mixture plus made the gravy. 3 cups of broth (including juices from pan), 4 tablespoons of butter and 4 tablespoons of flour did the trick for the gravy. The pork roast was very juicy and very yummy. Plus we had rolls and nana made the deserts.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:31 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Sounds great, Legend. I may have to put this on my menu soon.

Tags
None