"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 09-07-2006, 11:16 AM   #11
Executive Chef

I like to simmer them in beer and onions, then grill them...tender and very flavorful. I also strain the onions from the beer and add them to fresh ones and caramelize them all before mixing with a little bbq sauce. Makes a great topping with mustard. so good.

Old 09-07-2006, 11:35 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410
I like to simmer them in beer and onions, then grill them...tender and very flavorful. I also strain the onions from the beer and add them to fresh ones and caramelize them all before mixing with a little bbq sauce. Makes a great topping with mustard. so good.
i am going to try this. my bil states they are better if you simmer them
in beer first before grilling we have always grilled than simmered.
we have always loved them that way, it is also easy grill them before your
friends arrive put the brats in the beer whenever they want to eat they are still got and hot simmering in the beer.

i am going to try this Sunday

football party go Chiefs

Old 09-07-2006, 11:40 AM   #13
Sous Chef

grilled...indirect heat...heat very low...i dont mind waiting an hour for the perfect brat!!
Old 09-07-2006, 02:01 PM   #14
Master Chef

I've only made turkey Brats (available at Whole Foods) for many many years now. If I'm grilling them outside, I just grill them over indirect heat for about 10 minutes, turning occasionally, & then move them over direct heat for another 10 minutes, turning occasionally until brown.

If I'm doing them inside, I simmer them in water, chicken stock, or beer for around 10 minutes, again turning, & after the liquid cooks off, I add some extra-virgin olive oil to the pan & continue sauteing until they're browned & cooked through.

I used to brown them first & then simmer, but found that the simmering removed all of the attributes of the browning.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:33 PM   #15
Sous Chef

I only grill them. Low and slow. Put them in a warm bun with hot mustard. Yummmmmm
Old 09-22-2006, 12:39 PM   #16
Everymom

Anyone eat them with sauerkraut? I like to saute my sauerkraut a bit and eat it with sausages. Mmmmmmm. Never grilled my brats, but will give it a go.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:48 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Check out the Johnsonville beer brat hot tub.

I have an indoor grill, and grilled the brats (cheddar/beer flavor, as I recall) with potatoes o'brien (or hash browns), onions and peppers -- and melt a little cheddar on top, and served with corn on the cob. I have a recipe for brats made in apple juice with sauerkraut, that's on the 'to do' list.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:55 PM   #18
Head Chef

I simmer mine in beer and onions and then throw on the grill.

If I am having a large party (which is usually only at my parents house since I don't have a grill) and people will be eating over a period of time I will grill them and then throw them into a tub of warm beer with onions. Then when someone wants a brawt they are already cooked and have stayed warm in the beer bath. That way I won't have to be at the grill the whole time.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:02 PM   #19
Senior Cook

I usually grill them. But, I have boiled them in beer with onion, and than broiled them. I love brats and sauerkraout and spicy mustard.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:11 PM   #20
Senior Cook

The mistake I most often see with brats and other sausages is cooking them too fast so they burn first and then to get the middle done, you have to overdo them. A brat or other sausage is done at 150 degrees. When cooked past that they break down the fat and become "mealy".

I prefer a slow grilling but I've enjoyed them from the simmering pan too.

Tags
None