"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 11-01-2014, 04:44 PM   #1
Master Chef

ISO Pork Rib ideas...

OK, we're tired of oven or grilled barbeque ribs as we cooked them all summer. I'm just over barbeque sauce for a while and yet I have several pounds of meaty beautiful ribs in the freezer.

I've thought of Sweet n Sour ribs, or ribs cooked with sauerkraut, but beyond that I'm clueless. If you have some tried and true recipes or ideas for ribs, I'd love to hear them. TIA!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 05:25 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Korean style. Sweet and spicy. Not hard at all. Simmer on the stove in water for about half an hour, then marinate in soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, onion, sesame oil, cooking wine, and Korean chili paste if you can get your hands on it. If not, use Hoisin sauce and some chili pepper depending on how spicy you like things. After two hours of marinating cook the meat on grill or in oven (meat-side up) for 25-30 minutes, turning several times and basting with marinade.

The meat should be very tender. Depending on the thickness of the meat on the bones, you might need to cook the ribs for a longer or shorter time.

Old 11-01-2014, 05:28 PM   #3
Everymom

OK, I know this recipe will surprise you coming from me...

Lemon juice (lots!)
Oregano (a lot)
Cracked black pepper
Garlic
Rosemary (less)

I splash lemon juice liberally over the ribs, then rub crushed garlic on them. Then I sprinkle the pepper, oregano and rosemary on them. If you don't want to do them slowly on the grill then put them in your oven. We serve this with greek salad and wild rice. YUM!
Old 11-01-2014, 06:03 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I haven't tried this one yet, but it's on my list:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chinese-pork-ribs-2/
Old 11-01-2014, 06:06 PM   #5
Master Chef

OH WOW........both those ideas sound wonderful. Thank you

Rock, you're saying to simmer the ribs before marinating? Interesting procedure, and I'll be giving that a try.

I love lemon juice as much as you Alex....sounds wonderful !

Old 11-01-2014, 06:08 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I haven't tried this one yet, but it's on my list:
Chinese Pork Ribs Recipe - Allrecipes.com
That sounds yummy too GG. I have marmalade looking for a home.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:19 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

My mom always steamed pork ribs to start softening the connective tissue and render some of the fat. I do that, then put the pan in the fridge overnight and skim the pork fat, aka lard, off the top of the water in the morning.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:24 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I thought I had previously posted this receipe, but I can't find it. I was actually thinking of this for our dinner tonight.

Pork and Kraut Dinner

5-6 country style ribs (bone in or boneless) or 4-6 chops or use pork steak if you like. It will even work with a couple of racks of baby backs!

1 lg onion sliced or chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1qt. Sauerkraut undrained
3/4C packed brown sugar
Your favorite seasoning for the meat ( I use garlic powder and Spike, sometimes Montreal chicken seasoning)

Season the meat, brown well on all sides. Put into baking dish, (I use a dark metal roaster (graniteware) Layer the garlic, onions and sauerkraut on top of the meat. Sprinkle with the brown sugar.
Bake/Roast covered at 325F for at least an hour and 30 minutes. This can stay in the oven for longer at a lower heat. You could easily do 2-3 hours at 275F.
I like the meat falling apart, but you may wish to not have it quite so tender, just adjust your cooking time.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:27 PM   #9
Master Chef

I would roast them in the oven surrounded by potatoes, carrots and onions.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:11 PM   #10
Master Chef

Kayelle....I know you're a fan of Trader Joe's - you and the Sous have GOT to give this a try if you're looking for something a little different, and easy.

I'm not a fan of boiling ribs first, I think much of the flavor gets lost in the boiling liquid. I pan sear those meaty country style pork ribs, marinate, cover, and slow roast til tender...basting with the liquid now and then. Or grill.

Ingredients include soy sauce, pineapple juice, ginger, sesame seeds, garlic, sesame oil....etc...this stuff is amazing. As you can see I'm almost out. lol

Tags
pork