ISO Thermometer advice: I can't take its temperature

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
This isn't the first time this has happened. I have a digital thermometer. I know it works. I had a 2lb Pork Roast yesterday. I thought I set it up correctly and had it in a thick portion of the Roast. I set it to 150, but when it rang I just KNEW It wasn't done. I tried another section and it was definetely not done. It was more like 138/139. I also while I had the oven door open, used my manual one. It wouldn't register at all. It was kind of stange. I put it in the same spot that the digital one registered at 139. Well anyways, I left the digital one where it was and waited until it reached 150. The roast did end up coming out moist and pretty perfect. But it makes me soo nervous that I might be not be able to rely on these things at times. Either that, I'm doing something wrong. I didn't put it in a glob of fat and it wasn't touching bone. I also know my manual one works. Well just venting here.

I think "manual" might mean one that is not digital.

legend - if it's an instant read thermometer then it should have registered immediately. If it's the type that is supposed to be in the piece of meat while cooking it may take a few minutes to register - that may be the problem. An instant-read cannot be left in while cooking - the other kind, which usually has a much bigger face, is supposed to be left in.

Alton showcased one he uses...I can't remember the name. Also, you may want to check Americas Test Kitchen to see what they came up with.

kitchenelf said:
I don't buy those - I buy a good one and they work VERY nicely!

Is it analog? Where can I find it? I had a Good Cook cheapo that almost ruined a 7lb standing rib roast.:mad: I have a digital instant read but can't seem to put my full trust in it. Would prefer a real nice analog.

Yes, it's an analog and actually, I bought it at Sam's Club - I think they came 3 to a pack. I have always found them invaluable and never had any problem. If a 7-lb. standing rib roast got ruined because of a faulty analog temperature guage I would be on "their" doorstep the next day :mad: I have never had any problems with mine. But I may just be lucky! I guess there's always a risk of anything we buy being faulty. If I hadn't given the other two away I would send you one. :chef:

After looking on the net at analog instant read it appears to lean towards a Taylor - with the holder.

Last edited:
Maybe you're having a conversation with YT via PM? But that Taylor you have a link to is a thermometer you leave in while cooking. It's not an instant read.

I prefer the analog instand read probe thermometers myself. I have several, two at home, one at work. I calibrate mine frequently. If I notice that one starts to vary widely, even with weekly calibration, or that the "indicated" temp changes when the dial is bumped, I replace it.

You Rang...?

this is what I use: Advanced Degrees at Bon Appétit Tools of the Trade at Epicurious.com
the Tech Fork right at the top.
I`ve also checked it`s calibration against Lab quality thermometers and it`s pretty accurate! and surprisingly they`re accurate at standarnd room temps also, which is rare as themocouple devices usualy have a range of accuracy and out of this range they tend to drop off exponetialy. so don`t waste money on a probe that will do a Wide range from Freezer temp to molten steel! you`de be better of taking a wild guess youself or pulling number out a hat!

it`s important to remember though, that you`re putting cold metal into something hot, this will lower the temp around the sensors a little, so forget the "Instant" side of the claims, leave the probe in for several seconds before accepting any reading.

Once ou stick the probe into the meat, the display will show changing temperatures. Just wait for it to stop or slow down dramatically.

Back
Top Bottom