Pineapple Pulled Pork

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jusitnic

Assistant Cook
Greetings everyone, this is my first post on the forum.

My girlfriend and I have been making pulled pork in a slow cooker by seasoning the meat with a rub and some Worcestershire Sauce and then cooking it in Root Beer with some onions. BBQ sauce was added later. This made me think of other ways to prepare the pulled pork.

I'll run you through my idea, but I could use some help with additional ingredients. My initial idea was to marinate the pork with the 30 minute marinade that is teriyaki with pineapple flavor and maybe a little crushed pineapple overnight. I want to cook the meat in Mountain Dew and maybe add some pineapple juice and chunks to the slow cooker.

My problems are as follows:
1. If I'm going to put the pork on low for 8+ hours in the slow cooker, should I hold off on adding the pineapple chunks until after it has cooked awhile?
2. I'm concerned that this is going to be overly sweet and I may need something additional to mellow it out some. I thought about adding some onions, but after that I'm out of ideas. Any ideas on what I could add to make this a little less sweet?

Thanks for any help
Justin

Pineapple Pulled Pork Ideas

Buonasera,

I have recommended a few websites, each with a varying take on the same dish, ranging from fresh pineapple which is not as sweet as tinned, and a Japanese style with Teriyaki & Sake:

www.southernfood.com

www.canadianliving.com

www.feastonthecheap.net

www.coconutandlime.com

Best regards.
Ciao, Margaux Cintrano.

My girlfriend and I have been making pulled pork in a slow cooker by seasoning the meat with a rub and some Worcestershire Sauce and then cooking it in Root Beer with some onions. BBQ sauce was added later. This made me think of other ways to prepare the pulled pork.

I'll run you through my idea, but I could use some help with additional ingredients. My initial idea was to marinate the pork with the 30 minute marinade that is teriyaki with pineapple flavor and maybe a little crushed pineapple overnight. I want to cook the meat in Mountain Dew and maybe add some pineapple juice and chunks to the slow cooker.

1. If I'm going to put the pork on low for 8+ hours in the slow cooker, should I hold off on adding the pineapple chunks until after it has cooked awhile?
2. I'm concerned that this is going to be overly sweet and I may need something additional to mellow it out some. I thought about adding some onions, but after that I'm out of ideas. Any ideas on what I could add to make this a little less sweet?

Thanks for any help
Justin

Thanks for any help
Justin
Welcome to DC! I don't do a lot of cooking with a slow cooker and don't make pulled pork, so I have no suggestions, but I'm sure others will be chiming in. What else to you serve with the pulled pork?

Thanks for any help
Justin

Welcome, Justin.

My approach would be:

Add the pineapple in the beginning.

Sub the Mountain Dew for beer or ginger ale.

To offset the sweetness you might add (1-2 tbl) tomato paste, dry mustard, vinegar, worcestershire, or tabasco/hot sauce.

Not a huge fan of marinade unless it's a cheap cut, & especially since you're slow cooking. You might sear/brown first, & get rid of the fat.

Re Eight + hours cooking time - Check after 3-4 hours (taste & adjust seasonings). My cooker gets very hot, and 4-5 hours on Low usually does the job.

Here's a recipe I saved, & will make some changes to (i.e. 1/2 the amount of peache using fresh, & no tomatoes - for starters). Maybe it will give you some ideas.

Pulled Pork & Peaches

Pulled Pork and Peaches Recipe | Food Recipes - Yahoo! Shine

A coincidence. About two weeks ago, I had my own experimental experience with pulled pork and pineapple. My shoulder cuts were a salty & spicy version of "Okinawa braised pork belly." It was pulled and mounded into a cup of butter lettuce. Topped with mild teriyaki sauce made with cane syrup. Relish of thinly sliced onion pickled in yuzu and vinegar. Thick shmear of pineapple and cabbage cole slaw. Sandwiched between toasted soft-baked sesame bagel. Still a bit sweet, but promising I thought.

Thanks for any help
Justin

Hey Justin,
Lucky for you, I think I might have the experience with two separate dishes which may find an answer for your question. I often make pulled pork in my slow cooker and I am an avid fan of pineapples in chili.

For your first concern, it depends on how much of the original pineapple structure you want by the end. From my experience with chili, pineapple chunks are fun when you first take the chili out of the pot but less fun when eating the rest of the week via reheating etc. My new method has been to utilize the middle ground; blend/puree half the pineapple and add it early to let it stew and add chunks near the end of the process to let them heat up, but still hold their form.

Second, pineapple will definitely add a different flavor, but unless you are using a massive amount as a marinade, I would not worry about the excessive sweetness. If you are still concerned, I would mellow the fruit sweet by blending and heating some of the pineapple with the bbq sauce. Bbq sauce has a large amount of sugar already but it doesn't taste too sweet...blending and heating in a pot might help you balance your flavors before you mix it forever with the pork.

One more thing, adding at least some of the pineapple for the entire 8 hours would be a good thing. The acidity in the pineapple juice is one of the most flavorful marinades you can find for any pork dish, let alone an opportunity where it can marinade/cook for 8 whole hours (beyond the hour/half hour presoak, which is also a good idea.)

Over all, hope this helps! Pineapple is my favorite cooking fruit and pulled pork has been a recent favorite dish of mine! PM or let me know if you want more ideas (like making your own bbq sauces mmm..)

Be careful of using onion, it will probably just make the dish sweeter. If you brown the onion really well first, well that's a different story.

Back
Top Bottom