Marinating Pork - any limits?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KatyCooks

Head Chef
I'm making a Sweet and Sour Pork Tenderloin tomorrow and was tempted to marinade it overnight. But it's only a 500g fillet, so I decided against. (The recipe only suggests 1 - 2 hours.)

I'm a fan of marinading and generally think the longer the better! But actually, can you marinade meat - and pork specifically - for TOO long?

Marinating is for tenderizing tough meat. Tenderloin is already tender, so tenderizing it will turn it into mush, especially if it's overnight or longer. Soak it in the marinade for 30 minutes at most. Set some marinade aside and brush it on the finished meat to add a little more flavor.

The contents of the marinade will dictate the timeline, the more acidic the less time required and pork tenderloin is already tender so it's just to absorb some flavor, so keep that in mind.

Very glad I didn't decide to put it in the marinade this evening!!

The marinade is not particularly acidic though - the main acid is a relatively small amount of apple cider vinegar. There is also soy, tomato puree, honey, ginger and garlic, so it is all about imparting some flavour rather than tenderising.

Last edited:
Yes, I've heard you could effectively put it on a cut to prevent infection. Amazing stuff honey! I just like the taste. I recently got a jar from local bee hives - the first I have seen for the town.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom