"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Veal

Old 09-25-2011, 03:19 PM   #1
Certified Pretend Chef

Osso Buco Recipe

In response to a request in another thread, here's my version of this classic recipe.

Osso Buco Milanese

C Olive Oil
4 Veal Shanks
C Flour, or more as needed
3 Tb Butter
C Onion, diced
C Carrot, diced
C Celery, diced
tsp Garlic, minced
2 Ea Lemon Peel Strips
C White Wine
C Beef Broth
C Water
C Tomato, chopped
tsp Thyme
1 Bay Leaf
2 Parsley Sprigs
1 Oz Dry Porcini Mushrooms
TT S&P

Preheat the oven to 350 F.

Add the oil to the pot and heat it. Tie each veal shank with string. Dust the shanks with flour, shaking off any excess. Place the shanks into the pot in one layer. Brown the shanks deeply all over. Remove to a plate, drain excess oil from the pot.

Melt the butter and sweat the onion, carrots and celery on medium for 6-7 minutes.

Add the garlic and lemon peel and cook for another 2-3 minutes.

Add the wine and deglaze the pot, reducing the wine by half.

Return the shanks to the pot along with any accumulated juices.

Heat the broth and water and add it to the pot along with the tomato, thyme, bay leaf, parsley, mushrooms, salt and pepper. The liquid should come two thirds of the way up the side of the shanks. If it does not, add more broth and water.

Bring the liquid to a simmer, cover and place into the lower half of the oven. Turn and baste the shanks every 20 minutes. Cook for 1 to 2 hours or until the shanks are very tender and a creamy dense sauce has formed.

When the shanks are done, remove them to a platter and reduce the sauce, if necessary, to thicken. Remove the strings before serving.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:26 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Dang, this looks good, Andy! Am thinking I will search the local Fareway, they might have the veal shanks.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:31 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Thank you for the wonderful recipe, Andy! Just reading it made my mouth go completely insane!

I wonder if the browning were done and the sauteing were done using conventional methods like you describe, if finishing in a crock-pot for about 4-6 hours would work?
Old 09-25-2011, 03:36 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

This recipe is going on my list of members' recipes to make.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:38 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Dang, this looks good, Andy! Am thinking I will search the local Fareway, they might have the veal shanks.
If you can't find veal shanks, lamb shanks or beef short ribs respond well to the same treatment.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:05 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68
If you can't find veal shanks, lamb shanks or beef short ribs respond well to the same treatment.
Good idea!
Old 09-25-2011, 04:09 PM   #7
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Copied and Pasted...
Old 09-25-2011, 04:25 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Good idea!

While either of these suggestions would taste good, they'd be very different from the veal.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:28 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

And fatty I imagine. At least for the short ribs. It would still be a good dish though.
I'm going to hold out for the veal myself.
It's kind of odd, for all the veal farms around here, I never see any at the stores, but I'll bet Wegmans carries it.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:30 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Am thinking I will go for the real deal too. We will be at Costco over Thanksgiving. Surely they will have veal shanks there. We bring a big cooler.

Tags
recipe, veal shanks

Osso Buco Recipe [LEFT] In response to a request in another thread, here's my version of this classic recipe.[FONT=Arial][SIZE=4] [/SIZE][/FONT] [B][FONT=Arial][SIZE=4]Osso Buco Milanese[/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/LEFT] [FONT=Arial][SIZE=4][FONT=Arial][/FONT] C Olive Oil[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial][SIZE=4]4 Veal Shanks[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial][SIZE=4][U][FONT=Arial][/FONT] C Flour, or more as needed[/U][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial][SIZE=4]3 Tb Butter[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial][SIZE=4][FONT=Arial][/FONT] C Onion, diced[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial][SIZE=4][FONT=Arial]⅓[/FONT] C Carrot, diced[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial][SIZE=4][U][FONT=Arial]⅓[/FONT] C Celery, diced[/U][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial][SIZE=4][FONT=Arial][/FONT] tsp Garlic, minced[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial][SIZE=4][U]2 Ea Lemon Peel Strips[/U][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial][SIZE=4][U][FONT=Arial][/FONT] C White Wine[/U][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial][SIZE=4][FONT=Arial][/FONT] C Beef Broth[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial][SIZE=4][FONT=Arial][/FONT] C Water[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial][SIZE=4][FONT=Arial][/FONT] C Tomato, chopped[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial][SIZE=4][FONT=Arial]⅛[/FONT] tsp Thyme[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial][SIZE=4]1 Bay Leaf[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial][SIZE=4]2 Parsley Sprigs[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial][SIZE=4]1 Oz Dry Porcini Mushrooms[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial][SIZE=4]TT S&P[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial][SIZE=4][FONT=Arial] [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial][SIZE=4]Preheat the oven to 350[FONT=Arial][/FONT] F.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial][SIZE=4]Add the oil to the pot and heat it. Tie each veal shank with string. Dust the shanks with flour, shaking off any excess. Place the shanks into the pot in one layer. Brown the shanks deeply all over. Remove to a plate, drain excess oil from the pot.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial][SIZE=4]Melt the butter and sweat the onion, carrots and celery on medium for 6-7 minutes.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial][SIZE=4]Add the garlic and lemon peel and cook for another 2-3 minutes.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial][SIZE=4]Add the wine and deglaze the pot, reducing the wine by half.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial][SIZE=4]Return the shanks to the pot along with any accumulated juices.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial][SIZE=4]Heat the broth and water and add it to the pot along with the tomato, thyme, bay leaf, parsley, mushrooms, salt and pepper. The liquid should come two thirds of the way up the side of the shanks. If it does not, add more broth and water.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial][SIZE=4]Bring the liquid to a simmer, cover and place into the lower half of the oven. Turn and baste the shanks every 20 minutes. Cook for 1[FONT=Arial][/FONT] to 2 hours or until the shanks are very tender and a creamy dense sauce has formed.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial][SIZE=4]When the shanks are done, remove them to a platter and reduce the sauce, if necessary, to thicken. Remove the strings before serving.[/SIZE][/FONT] 3 stars 1 reviews