"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Lamb

Old 11-13-2010, 05:20 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

12 pound whole goat, I need some help!

I bought a whole 12 pound goat today. I plan on cutting it at the spine, just under the ribs to seperate the lower legs from the top half with the full ribs. I would like to roast the whole bottom half of the goat (This would basically just be the two hind legs connected). I really want to use some sort of mediterranean recipe. I would like it to be well done, but still moist and tender. I have seen it done with whole lambs in ovens, I would like to try it with a bottom half of a goat. Can anybody help me on figuring out a good middle eastern recipe and how I should roast it?

Thank you!

-Sam

Old 11-13-2010, 07:36 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Hi Sam,

I can give you some notes I have on roasting goat leg, from animals older than what you have.

Place roast on rack in open roast pan. Rub on olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and place crushed garlic cloves in shallow slits in leg.

Pre-heat oven to 400*F to 425*F. Place roasts in oven for 15 to 20 minutes at high heat. reduce heat to 325*F (times may be shorter for your younger, smaller animal)

For a 5 pound leg roast, I removed the shank and cooked it with the roast, removing it when it was done. Used the above seasonings and temperatures, added vegetables, BBQ sauce and pear butter and roasted the 5 pound leg for 3 hours at 325*F (after initial higher heat).

Good luck!

Old 11-13-2010, 09:42 AM   #3
Head Chef

I think you might have better luck getting even cooking if you separate the legs and lay them side by side. This baby should be very tender, young as it is, so don't over cook.

Other than that, I got nothin'. :)

Except that I wish I was coming for dinner.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:45 AM   #4
Executive Chef

I treat kid like lamb, I would use the legs or shoulders for this dish, put small deep slits in the meat, stuff the slits with garlic slivers, salted anchovy pieces and sprigs of rosemarry leave in a cool place for 24 hrs. In a roasting tin make a bed of onions, garlic, carrots, parsnips, put you meat on top, place large whole pots around, squeeze two lemons over meat and season with pepper and three glugs of olive oil, cover with silver paper and roast in a very low oven for 6 hrs or more,remove silver paper crank up the oven to max and brown meat and spuds. The meat will fall off the bone.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:46 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the suggestions everybody! At the last minute though, I decided to roast the whole top half and save the bottom half another time for some "rogan josh." It is in the oven now and should take a couple of hours. I'll let you know how it goes.

-Sam
Old 11-13-2010, 06:21 PM   #6
Head Chef

I still want to come for dinner!
Old 11-13-2010, 09:07 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

my daughter used to raise nubian goats. i don't eat goat to this day. no help here.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:00 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastabird92 View Post
I bought a whole 12 pound goat today. I plan on cutting it at the spine, just under the ribs to seperate the lower legs from the top half with the full ribs. I would like to roast the whole bottom half of the goat (This would basically just be the two hind legs connected). I really want to use some sort of mediterranean recipe. I would like it to be well done, but still moist and tender. I have seen it done with whole lambs in ovens, I would like to try it with a bottom half of a goat. Can anybody help me on figuring out a good middle eastern recipe and how I should roast it?

Thank you!

-Sam
Down here in far south Texas we are not getting the ittie bitties that you describe. We are now getting the huge boer goats. The bucks can go over 400 lbs.. That being said, the easiest way I know to prepare the goat is to put foil in a pan, season the goat, put a few slices of good hickory smoked bacon criss crossed over it, maybe a few rings of onion, etc. Now seasoning is up to you, but I might use a little basil, thyme, marjoram,or whatever suits you. A very small amount of water in the pan. Then I cover with foil and bake on the outside grill, at very low heat for about three to five hours, till it falls off the bone. Oh. I also prepare it on a bed of potatoes, sometimes, yum.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:16 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Like Bolas; However, I would rub with lard or olive oil & spices

Yes, I would treat like a traditional lamb roast --- prior to roasting; I would rub with manteca de cerdo ( pork lard ) or olive oil and fresh and dry herbs; oregano, parsley, thyme, rosemary ... I would employ white wine -- or red wine ...

Margi.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:35 AM   #10
Head Chef

You are lucky to have goat, its quite hard to find where I live (in the north west of England).
Just for a future suggestion, what about Goat Curry. I first discovered this on holiday in Jamaica and its delicious.
I don't know if you have heard of Levi Roots but he has some great Jamaican recipes, including Goat Curry, I could find you a link or post up the recipe if you would like to try it. I have to make it with lamb, still delicious. Its one of my favourite curries.

Tags
None