Favourite Leg of Lamb recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm still not sold on leftover lamb, but this talk about tzatziki and pita bread has me thinking about Souvlaki!

I like to have a skewer of charcoal grilled souvlaki with eggs, Greek homefries and a toasted pita pocket.

That used to be my go to breakfast, at about 3:00am, many, many years ago! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I'm still not sold on leftover lamb, but this talk about tzatziki and pita bread has me thinking about Souvlaki!

I like to have a skewer of charcoal grilled souvlaki with eggs, Greek homefries and a toasted pita pocket.

That used to be my go to breakfast, at about 3:00am, many, many years ago! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Greek home fries? Do you have a recipe for that?

I love lamb sandwiches, tzaziki or mayo, lettuce and tomato. I always end up thinking of that part in the Princess Bride when Billy Crystal (spelling?) is talking about an MLT. :)

Occasionally I'll get lamb ribs when.the market runs them for 2.99 or 2.49/lb. They're pretty fatty so I trim some of the fat off. One time I rendered a bit, mixed it in with really lean ground beef and made meatballs. Man, were they ever good!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

I just used Billy's line on Shrek...now he's a bit excited....well, he's laughing about it anyway.:LOL:

Greek home fries? Do you have a recipe for that?

The Greek home fries I have had use boiled potatoes that have been tossed with some lemon juice or wine vinegar while still hot. They also have garlic salt, oregano and way too much paprika sprinkled on them when they are fried on the grill using olive oil. Fried may not be the right word, the ones I have had are heated and lightly browned around the edges, the paprika provides most of the color.

The Greek home fries I have had use boiled potatoes that have been tossed with some lemon juice or wine vinegar while still hot. They also have garlic salt, oregano and way too much paprika sprinkled on them when they are fried on the grill using olive oil. Fried may not be the right word, the ones I have had are heated and lightly browned around the edges, the paprika provides most of the color.

Sounds yummy, thanks :)

Easter's a big holiday for us. We're having at least 13 people over tomorrow for dinner, with lamb and ham on the menu. My father-in-law steadfastly refuses to even try lamb, but this is the same man who travels to Mexico every year and refuses to eat anything but tacos. :wacko:
Poor F-I-L. I love lamb - it's my favourite meat. I'd really like to have it for Christmas dinner than turkey. After all the shepherds were watching their flocks by night, weren't they, so lamb comes into the Christmas story.

Poor F-I-L. I love lamb - it's my favourite meat. I'd really like to have it for Christmas dinner than turkey. After all the shepherds were watching their flocks by night, weren't they, so lamb comes into the Christmas story.

I don't understand how ham became the star of the Easter dinner. Easter is supposed to be a celebration of Spring, the birth of newness. Like lambs. :angel:

Steve! the marinade was wonderful, I did sub in Key Lime, I didn't have any lemon. It made the tastiest crust on the roast!!

So glad you enjoyed it PF! :chef:

Did you have leftovers?

Yes, almost half of the roast. Ideas? I put it in the freezer, so I wouldn't lose it in the fridge. I was thinking of reheating it, shredding and making lamb tacos with a lime coleslaw.

BTW...it cost me $8 a pound...it was only $5/lb at Costco, slapping my forehead!

Yes, almost half of the roast. Ideas? I put it in the freezer, so I wouldn't lose it in the fridge. I was thinking of reheating it, shredding and making lamb tacos with a lime coleslaw.

BTW...it cost me $8 a pound...it was only $5/lb at Costco, slapping my forehead!
Oooh... lamb tacos sounds good. I'm a shepherd's pie guy myself, or the aforementioned Greek pita sandwiches or wraps. It's about the only time of year I ever make those things, so I usually take advantage of it.

$8 is a good price. I'm not even going to tell you the obscene amount I paid, but, judging by the price, it must have been one of those "locally and responsibly raised" lambs that spent its life feasting on the finest organic grasses and had its wool brushed out once a day by a young virgin. :LOL:

Pita Paul has a little trailer he parks up on the highway in the warmer weather. He sells Gyros, Hot Dogs and fries. I wonder if he's there yet? I sure could go for a Gyro right about now.

It's funny, but I can't remember what we ate for Easter growing up. I just remember eating lots of candy and hard boiled eggs. At the age of 7, I threw up all over the hallway afterwards. Very memorable Easter, and I'm sure my mother felt the same.

After reading through most of this thread, I am so craving lamb now. :yum: I rarely see leg of lamb here, but we only have 2 grocery stores. I might have to order it. Although we do have one meat market, I should check there. :)

princess....yes, lamb tacos sounds wonderful! So does the shepherds pie... Yum.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom