"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Lamb

Old 12-02-2010, 12:25 PM   #1
Master Chef

Greek Meatballs in Asparagus Lemon Sauce

Because this is a recipe put together by inspiration of other recipes, and my own ideas, I think I can safely call it my own. It's really delicious.

1 lb. ground lamb
1/3 cup long grain rice, uncooked
1/3 cup white onion, very finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp. ground oregano, crushed between palms
2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
2 tbs. chopped fresh mint
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 large egg
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
4 cups chicken broth (I use Swanson)
1 lb. fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2 in. pieces

For the sauce:
2 large eggs at room temp
2/3 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice (nothing else will do)

Combine ground lamb, rice, onion, garlic, parsley, mint, oregano, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Add egg to mixture and mix well. Place flour in a shallow dish. With wet hands, shape into walnut-sized balls. Roll meatballs in flour and shake off excess.
Heat four cups of the chicken broth in a Dutch oven or a deep large skillet until boiling. Carefully place the meatballs in a single layer on the bottom of the pot. Gently simmer covered, over low heat for 25 minutes. Remove the lid and add the asparagus while you make the sauce, being careful not to over cook. You want it cooked till just crisp tender.

For the sauce:
Using a whisk, beat the eggs in a medium bowl until frothy. Add plenty of salt, and white pepper. Slowly whisk in the lemon juice. Ladle one cup of the pot liquid little by little into egg-lemon mixture to temper the eggs. Remove pot from heat and slowly add egg-lemon mixture stirring gently. Heat over very low heat until sauce thickens and is heated through. Take care not to allow the sauce to boil or the eggs will curdle.

Play music from Zorba the Greek, pour some white wine, and light some candles.

Serve in flat soup bowls, with plenty of crusty rolls to dip in the yummy lemon sauce.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:57 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Wow, see what you came up with. That sounds just wonderful.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:03 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Kayelle ... these sound wonderful. I LOVE Greek food. I'm going to be trying this very soon. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:23 PM   #4
Master Chef

Thanks for your help Z !

Littlechef, I think you'll really like it if you like Greek food.

I'm sitting here with a bowl of it for breakfast.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:39 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Ok!!! This one got my attention!!! I could take on a bowl "rat" now!!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:42 PM   #6
Flour Child

You had me at the title
...and ohhh the music, wine, and candles,
no wonder your hubby treats you so good

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:56 PM   #7
Master Chef

Passing a bowl through the screen to Uncle Bob rat now.

MA, since we were married in Santorini, this kind of a meal is pretty special for us.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:57 PM   #8
Certified Cake Maniac

Kayelle, any time you "create" something, you can definitely call it your own and this sounds fabulous! Thanks for sharing it.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:08 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

This recipe brings back happy memories. Mom used to make a similar dish without the asparagus and it was always a favorite.

Thanks for stirring up the memory. Now I have to get cooking.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:43 PM   #10
Master Chef

Thank you, LP. Glad it brought back happy memories Andy. The plain Greek lemon soup is a classic. I was tickled to see the first of the season's asparagus at Von's for $1.49 lb. It's my very favorite vegetable.

Tags
recipe

Greek Meatballs in Asparagus Lemon Sauce Because this is a recipe put together by inspiration of other recipes, and my own ideas, I think I can safely call it my own. It's [B]really[/B] delicious. 1 lb. ground lamb 1/3 cup long grain rice, uncooked 1/3 cup white onion, very finely chopped 1 clove garlic, minced 1 tsp. ground oregano, crushed between palms 2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley 2 tbs. chopped fresh mint Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste 1 large egg 1/2 cup all-purpose flour 4 cups chicken broth (I use Swanson) 1 lb. fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2 in. pieces For the sauce: 2 large eggs at room temp 2/3 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice (nothing else will do) Combine ground lamb, rice, onion, garlic, parsley, mint, oregano, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Add egg to mixture and mix well. Place flour in a shallow dish. With wet hands, shape into walnut-sized balls. Roll meatballs in flour and shake off excess. Heat four cups of the chicken broth in a Dutch oven or a deep large skillet until boiling. Carefully place the meatballs in a single layer on the bottom of the pot. Gently simmer covered, over low heat for 25 minutes. Remove the lid and add the asparagus while you make the sauce, being careful not to over cook. You want it cooked till just crisp tender. For the sauce: Using a whisk, beat the eggs in a medium bowl until frothy. Add plenty of salt, and white pepper. Slowly whisk in the lemon juice. Ladle one cup of the pot liquid little by little into egg-lemon mixture to temper the eggs. Remove pot from heat and slowly add egg-lemon mixture stirring gently. Heat over very low heat until sauce thickens and is heated through. Take care not to allow the sauce to boil or the eggs will curdle. Play music from Zorba the Greek, pour some white wine, and light some candles. Serve in flat soup bowls, with plenty of crusty rolls to dip in the [B]yummy [/B]lemon sauce. 3 stars 1 reviews