Lamb Shank Gravey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
I realize this sounds rather odd but could someone give me recipe for gravey for lamb shanks? I am baking shanks and will skim the fat from the juice but I would like to fix clear gravey instead of using the flour. My brother has given me these shanks for fix for him for his supper. He asked to prepare lot of gravey. Has to be the way he wants it otherwise I won't hear the end of it. Thanks for your time and understanding.

Just deglaze the pan with a combination of lamb stock and wine. If you don't have or can't find lamb stock then you can use veal stock as well. When you roast the lamb, include a mire poix and some herbs in the pan. When it's through cooking, add enough liquid to where you can reduce it by 1/2 to get the amount of sauce you need (i.e. if you need 1 cup of gravy, use 1 1/2 cups of stock and 1/2 cup of red wine for 2 cups total). Once you finish the reduction, strain it from the mire poix, and whisk in (off the heat) 4 Tbsp. of butter for every 1 cup of sauce.

beef stock (canned) can be used to deglaze as the lamb should be strong enough to flavor it. A tblspn of tomato paste will give it some body and a real rich flavor. Yes roasting the veggies with the meat will also give great flavor as Iron CHef said.

Much like IC and Robo have said, when I braise lamb shanks, I usually put the meat on a plate and cover with foil. I pour the liquid into a gravy separator to remove a lot of the fat. Then I deglaze the pan with some red wine then I add some tomato paste and cook it a bit. Then I add the defatted liquid back along with some beef broth or (demiglace if I am lucky enough to have that on hand). I add a bay leaf and let reduce, occasionally smashing down on the miripoix. When it's the consistency I want it to be, I strain it to remove the solids. I usually dont add butter, but like IC says, that makes for a nice velvety mouth feel. Then I tuck the meat into the sauce and heat it for a few minutes.

jennyema said:
I pour the liquid into a gravy separator to remove a lot of the fat.

I can't believe I forgot to mention this. :yuk:

VERY, VERY important point or else your sauce will be a greasy mess. If you don't have a gravy seperator then skim the fat off with a ladle. Thanks for bringing this point up.

Back
Top Bottom