"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Wild Game
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2017, 05:08 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Thanks for all the suggestions. DH was a trooper helping and we were able to can everything that wasn't steaks. So 24 quarts and 2 pints. Lotsa food for winter. We are still waiting for the state to get back to us on the meats safety with CWD, which should be soon. I'm hoping for the best.

Old 11-29-2017, 04:32 AM   #12
Executive Chef

2 AM this morning, an hour and a half ago, Dh hit a 10 point buck on the way home from work. They are hanging it in the garage now. It's big. The car doesn't look too good but DH is fine and we have car insurance for the mess. I guess we'll get our venison jerky for sure now! And maybe some braised front shoulders too.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:16 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
2 AM this morning, an hour and a half ago, Dh hit a 10 point buck on the way home from work. They are hanging it in the garage now. It's big. The car doesn't look too good but DH is fine and we have car insurance for the mess. I guess we'll get our venison jerky for sure now! And maybe some braised front shoulders too.
OMG! I'm glad to read that DH is fine. But, couldn't this have happened when you didn't already have a whackload of venison? I guess it never rains, but it pours.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:16 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Learn how to make salami?
Old 12-01-2017, 03:51 PM   #15
Executive Chef

There is a lot of damaged meat, but still, we will get some off of it. The GOOD NEWS, thank GOD, is that the insurance is going to have the car fixed instead of totaling it. We had a new transmission in it and many repairs and it was a good car but an older car. The push bars on the ford victoria old police cruiser saved it from any internal damage on the car. The structural parts of the car, unharmed. This is such a relief!

We cut up the two front sections of the buck today, 8 pints of venison and more left for jerky, so I'm in the middle of that. By 6 pm the 8 pints of venison will be done and the jerky will be dehydrating. The bad things, end up good, there is a blessing in it all.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:22 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Learn how to make salami?
Taxlady, I did end up with 6 lbs of ground venison. (kitchen aid grinding attachment) It is aging with salt in the refrigerator for 5-7 days. It will have a pork shoulder ground up added to it, so 2-3 logs of salami when done. I saw a recipe for a not too spicy type of salami, so I'm making that, it's a fermented smoke flavored kind of sausage. The fermenting takes around 3 days.

That venison was ground on 12/2, so I'll start the fermenting process on 12-7 or 8 or 9. We also canned another 8 pints, so 16 in total, 7 additional packages of steaks and two batches of jerky, around 3 lbs worth.

A year of blessings!
Old 12-06-2017, 12:12 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Wow!! That is all I can say. Here I am barely able to walk and you are a non stop wonder. I am exhausted just reading your posts. Congratulation on a full and happy coming winter.

Tags
frozen, other, venison

« Rabbit | - »