appoggiatura, Your Scripps Howard National Spelling Bee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i almost won the spelling bee 3 times that sends you to the state competition that sends you to the nationals. i was an alternate once, in 6th grade. one time i misspelled 'coyote'. i forget what i misspelled the other times.
believe me, the words those kids have to spell are DRILLED into thier heads, day after day.
i've been there, and that was only as an alternate.

Do they get a list of words that will be used Luvs? I've always wondered??

pdswife said:
Do they get a list of words that will be used Luvs? I've always wondered??

I would say no.

google has 13,700 listings for that word.

Last edited:
pds, even as an alternate, i had to learn the entire book of words they use when i was only 11 years old.

i was in a spelling bee in elementary school once. and we had a list of about 300 words we had to memorize. whoever won the bee at school went to the city competition. the kid who won beat me by one word!

Today they had on the Math Counts competition.

Watch middle school aged kids solve math problems in 5-45 seconds. I know most of the posters here will have a massive brain freeze and not solve them as fast as they do. Most of the posters here will not have enough time to read the question before they answer it.

It will air again 6pm ET on Tuesday, June 7 on ESPN2.

http://mathcounts.org/

Last edited:
middie said:
math ???? oh you can count me OUT lol

I enjoy this show more than the spelling bee though. I can answer some of the questions as fast as they do.

I think these kids are more impressive than the speeling bee kids.

A sample cometition question:

Company A has 5,000 member growing at 20% year. At the end of what year will they have over 10,000 members. I took like 3 seconds to solve it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom