"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic Chat

Old 04-01-2005, 12:12 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Getting Dogs Teeth Cleaned

As most of you know, I am very fond of dogs. Especially mine. They have brought me through many many days of heartache and joy. They are considered family. However, I have had their teeth cleaned in the past but now am skeptical as to the age they are. One 10 years, others 9 years. One diabetic. Have other problems but wouldn't posses problem with anesthetic they have to give. The vet told me he would give blood test before he begin procedure but this is normal. I didn't question why as I have trusted him in the past. DO you all get your dogs' teeth cleaned regularly? May seem trival to most but important to me. Thanks for your input as I have to get this done next week and guess I am concerned. Sure wouldn't want to lose them.

Old 04-01-2005, 12:31 PM   #2
Master Chef

ITK, we have a cat who we've been told at some point should get his teeth cleaned. He only chews on one side of his mouth so the other has more plaque. The vet told me that the other option was for me to teach him how to chew on the other side of his mouth ! Anyway, DH is really hesitant to do this because of the anesthesia. Reagan is almost 10 so we hate to tax his system any more than we have to. We've decided against it, at least for now.

My own opinion, for what it's worth, is unless the vet says it's medically necessary to have their teeth cleaned, I'd hold off. Just make sure they eat dry food and some treats or chews that are made for tartar control and hopefully that keeps it in check.

Give your pups a pet for me!

Old 04-01-2005, 12:56 PM   #3
DC Grandma

Dove is going in very soon to have hers cleaned. She will be 8 at the end of this month. The blood test is extra and is opitional but it is a very good idea to have it done first. It will tell a lot about your pets health and if it is safe to have the teeth cleaned. That is important to keep up just as much as having yours or your childs teeteh cleaned.Trust your vet..

Marge~Dove

Dry food helps but does not do the job well enough. I lost my 16 year old Yorkie to liver failure and problems that come with poor dental hygene.

Oldcoot!! are you out there to back me up on this????????

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Old 04-01-2005, 01:51 PM   #4
Master Chef

Sorry don't have a dog....but I thought those milkbone things were suppose to clean their teeth.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:17 PM   #5
Executive Chef

My Koapaka is a year and a half in age. He has never had his teeth cleaned. But he does get regular check-ups. Dogs can get very ill with complications of poor teeth. Hope all goes well with your pups.

Old 04-01-2005, 03:26 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

I'm always worried to get my dogs teeth cleaned because when they put an animal under there is always a risk of death.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:07 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by spatulator
I'm always worried to get my dogs teeth cleaned because when they put an animal under there is always a risk of death.
That's why I am so confused should or shouldn't? I would be not living as well as I am if I would lose one of them. Would consider it my fault. But at the same time I want them to keep eating and not gumming their food. Thanks for your interest. We all appreciate it. What bothers me is now he has started making me sign paper that states if anything goes wrong, he isn't responsible. I think they do that in hospital too. He never did that before. Have been going to same vet for more than 20 years.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:50 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
It is VERY important to get a cat's or a dog's teeth cleaned. Once infection sets in it can affect the quality of life for your pet. A friend NEVER too her cat to the vet - the cat began to lose weight, eyes turned yellow, and then they took it. The cat lost all but 1 tooth and almost died and it took a long, long time for the cat to feel better again. Cat is still very thin.

I feel sure neglecting to get your animal's teeth cleaned has a greater risk associated with it than the anesthesia used to clean their teeth.

While dry dog food can postpone tartar buildup it does not prevent it. Wet food just sticks to the teeth better therefore building up quicker.

Just my 2 cents.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
Old 04-01-2005, 05:55 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
ITK - your vet does that as a standard practice. If he had not been doing that in the past I'm sure his insurance carrier has made him start doing it. How many times has your dog been put to sleep or had any kind of surgery? There are papers to sign each time like this.

If you don't get your dog's teeth cleaned this will definately affect the quality of your dog's life. If you do get your dog's teeth cleaned you will be doing MUCH more to assure good health for your animal. There's a risk in just driving to the vet's office. There's a risk with lots of things.

I understand you have to be comfortable with it but your dog cannot speak for itself. If your dog gets sick because you have neglected his/her teeth you wouldn't be happy either. And that WILL happen if tartar builds up, he/she develops gingivitis, etc. Your dog will have no teeth.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
Old 04-01-2005, 06:31 PM   #10
Certified Executive Chef

My daughter feeds her two cats only Iams dry food (age appropriate, one cat is almost a year, the other is over 5), with an occasional shared can of Iams. Her vet says this dry food is the best for keeping their teeth clean and free of disease. She also has a water filtering drink thing for them.

BTW Watch the Sonics tonite on NBC at 7 or 7:30