"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic Chat

Old 03-29-2005, 07:47 AM   #1
Master Chef

Angry "I do not share my recipes with anyone."

Well, it is not my line. I had some sweets, made by this woman, the other day and found them to be excellent so I asked her for the recipe. "NO, she says, no, I do not share my recipes with anyone. I give people recipe and they ruin it. No, Im not going to do that anymore." No matter what I tried to do, how I explained to her that Im a pretty decent chef my self and will make sure to fallow the recipe exactly and that the foods will taste as good as the original or I wont serve them to anybody. My affords went to no avail. I just hate that. The stuff was so good, darn. What is wrong with people? She is not the first person I hear that. For me it is ridicules. Im glad to share my recipes, I love when somebody says that they made some of my foods.

Old 03-29-2005, 09:16 AM   #2
Sous Chef

Sounds like this one thinks a great deal of herself. She's been complimented before and she wants to make sure no one steals her thunder. There are plenty of recipes for good sweets out there. I wouldn't worry about this one at all. Not worth it.

BC

Old 03-29-2005, 09:18 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

my mil was like that charlie. i remember a few easters back, she made a coupla fantastic dishes (clear borscht, veal stew, butter and onion pierogi) so i asked her for the recipes and tips. she said no, so i thought it might be a tradition thing, so i asked her to teach my wife how to make them. she refused again. in time, i gathered that she had worked so hard perfecting her cooking, and that it was what made her special, so she didn't want anyone to copy her. then she wouldn't be so special, and wouldn't have something to give.

now we miss her terribly,(she passed away last year) and are beginning to try to figure out just what she did that made her dishes so great. we made her grated beets and horseradish, but it wasn't the same. i wish she had taught us, so we could remember her when we made them, and pass it on to our child(ren).

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:24 AM   #4
Master Chef

Blue and Bucky are right, Charlie! I'd be irritated, too, but if you really want to get her just make it your personal challenge to recreate those recipes as well as she made them and then share your creations with her!
Old 03-29-2005, 09:25 AM   #5
Sous Chef

Now that is sad buckytom. In this case it was a family recipe, and had she shared it, it would have lived on (with her name attached, btw) for possibly generations. This way, you miss it, but in the future no one will know a thing about what a great cook she was. It might have made her feel special in the short run, but she could have been special forever had she shared.

BC
Old 03-29-2005, 09:25 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Or tell her Bucky's story, and tell her you would like to keep her memory alive after she is gone, by continuing to share her great dishes!
Old 03-29-2005, 09:31 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

be careful not to sound like you're rushing her to the grave tho...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:21 AM   #8
Executive Chef

copying recipe

This would leave a bitter taste in my mouth, if I knew someone resented sharing anything with me. It affects me the same way with asking someone to help in doing things. Being selfish in life only comes back ten times more. What goes round comes round. Just consider her being so inconsiderate that in time people will resent her too. Sorry but this is how life treats us. Golden rule holds true. Hope she learns before life starts reacting. Forget it! Not worth it!
Old 03-29-2005, 12:12 PM   #9
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I have never understood this either. I have known of people who wouldn't even share their recipes with their own children until they (the parent, not the kids!) died (IF then). A friend of mine makes the best candy apples I have ever tasted. She won't share the recipe with anyone either. Her health is not great and she doesn't make them anymore. I finally came right and told her (she is the kind of person I CAN say this to, or I wouldn't have!), "I want that candy apple recipe before you croak!" She just laughs and keeps it her little secret. I won't die without her recipe, and if it makes her feel better to know that no one will ever know it, that's fine, but I just think it is silly.

Barbara
Old 03-29-2005, 12:21 PM   #10
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
That bugs the hound out of me when people say that! I have a totally diffrent problem though. I can't get my grandma's recipes because she always cooked by memory & never wrote anything down. Now her memory is going & she dosen't cook anymore. She has tried to teach me how to make her biscuits & cornbread but I have trouble following her because very little is measured & I would have to have her drinking cups for the things that are measured.