"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic Chat
Old 02-18-2005, 08:02 PM   #1
Executive Chef
state to state and international rates

I've used 10-10-220 to dial long distance state to state, and 10-10-811 for international calls. Im not pleased with either of these anymore. Does any one here have other suggestions for inexpensive long distance carriers? I dont want to pay a montly fee, other than to pay for the time I use on the phone, I dont want a contract. Currently 10-10-220 offers .99 per minute for the first fifteen minutes, but then charges .15 per minute there after which is outrageous. Also, if you make a call under their plan, and an answering machine answers you still get charged .99, which adds up!

Anyone have a better idea for cheap rates?

Old 02-18-2005, 08:42 PM   #2
Master Chef
how about using a calling card? that is commitment-free, and you can add minutes as needed to At&T-issue ones. you can get them through the phone co. or get incremental ones in stores.

i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
Old 02-19-2005, 10:35 AM   #3
DC Grandma
Do you have a Wal-Mart store close to you??Their cards are 3 3/4 cents per minute I think.
May I always be the person my dog thinks I am.

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Old 02-19-2005, 10:57 AM   #4
Traveling Welcome Wagon
I have used ZoneLD ( www.zoneld.com ) for a few years now. I pay 4 cents a minute to the 5 states I call most and 4.5 cents to the others. They have low international rates too.

:) Barbara
Old 02-21-2005, 05:04 PM   #5
Certified Executive Chef
I have a cell phone, not tethered to the wall. I am with AT&T now Cingular and I have free long distance in continental US, Alaska and Hawaii, and unlimited night and week-end minutes. There is a flat monthly fee, but it ends up that I am paying between 1-1/2 to 2 cents per minute for the calls I make depending on how many minutes I use during the month. Last month my bill was $48 and I used 4300 minutes. It is the hidden, government fees and charges added on each monthy that really rile me, they add up to nearly $5 and it is the government who has this hidden tax to us and it does not go to the phone company.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:03 AM   #6
Head Chef
I get the 800 minute calling card from Sam's Club.
I can resist anything, but temptation. Oscar Wilde
Old 02-22-2005, 02:31 PM   #7
Head Chef
I migrated my phone to my broadband. Unlimited long distance - same phone number....I'm lovin' it!
Cooking is like love, it should be entered into with abandon or not at all. Oregon native transplanted to Chicago....
Old 02-22-2005, 04:00 PM   #8
Executive Chef
Check out your local carrier. I've used SBC as my local carrier ever since it was SouthWestern Bell (back in OK). They merged to form
SBC in 2000, and SBC seems to be everywhere these days. I know they offer LD services, with no monthly fee, and it runs around 5 cents/minute. It's added onto your local phone bill.

I used to hate subscribing to AT&T LD, as I hardly ever make LD phone calls (I communicate with my family via the internet), and didn't like having to cough up $9.50/month just to have the service, and not even use it.

Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!