"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Jokes and Games

Old 10-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #61
Proud American

Please remind me not to see the movie Flashdance. Those leg warmers really do look silly!

And if it is cold enough to wear the leg warmers, why is that woman wearing those high heel shoes? One would wear warm boots in the cold weather, yes?

Your friend,
~Cat

Old 10-01-2013, 03:44 PM   #62
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
Please remind me not to see the movie Flashdance. Those leg warmers really do look silly!

And if it is cold enough to wear the leg warmers, why is that woman wearing those high heel shoes? One would wear warm boots in the cold weather, yes?

Your friend,
~Cat
If you think fashion is not supposed to be silly, then it's not for you Or me. I agree on that one. The movie was good, though.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:57 PM   #63
Chef Extraordinaire

Cat, dancers wear leg warmers to prevent cramps in their legs while they are dancing. It has nothing to do with fashion, weather or seasons. They even wear them in the heat of the summer. A lot of dancers also practice in heels specially if their performance is going to be in heels. My granddaughter was a professional dancer for a couple of years until she started nursing school. She put on her leg warmers the first thing in the morning. Specially if she was going to be performing that evening on stage. She was a ballerina with the Boston Ballet Company.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:09 PM   #64
Chef Extraordinaire

As I said, it started with the 1980s movie Flashdance, about a dancer. '80s style is in fashion again and so are the leg warmers. I imagine real dancers do still wear them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	legwarmers-Y3.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	18709  
Old 10-01-2013, 04:26 PM   #65
Proud American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Cat, dancers wear leg warmers to prevent cramps in their legs while they are dancing. It has nothing to do with fashion, weather or seasons. They even wear them in the heat of the summer. A lot of dancers also practice in heels specially if their performance is going to be in heels. My granddaughter was a professional dancer for a couple of years until she started nursing school. She put on her leg warmers the first thing in the morning. Specially if she was going to be performing that evening on stage. She was a ballerina with the Boston Ballet Company.
Oh now this does make sense. I wish I had learned of the ballet! You must be very, very proud of your granddaughter's accomplishments. I am always proud of people who accomplish so very much!

I think some fashions are silly, however. And I hate high heels! I always wear the flat shoes.

Your friend,
~Cat
Old 02-11-2015, 05:20 PM   #66
Head Chef

I'm answering CatPat's 10 questions (page 5 #41)

1. What was your favorite food when you were a child?
School dinners because mum made Italian food (not British food!)

2. If you could stay a certain age forever, what age would it be? 4 - before school, i.e. when not institionalised

3. If you won the lottery, what is the first thing you would do? Er...celebrate - phone round and celebrate.

4. Have you ever had something happen to you that you thought was bad but it turned out to be for the best? Well I can always find the positive to a negative, e.g. my dad beating me up made me ferociously independent....(don't have a victim's mentality)

5. Which way does your toilet paper hang on the wall and why? Too trivial...losing the will to live thinking about it!

6. What song always makes you happy when you hear it? Smile (by Charlie Chaplin)....poignant, uplifting and so beautiful.

7. What is the strangest injury you got in the kitchen?
Not to my body...did some serious damage to recipes!

8. What do you do when you think no one is looking? Maybe look at them more searchingly (if they are intriguing)

9. What really gives you the creeps? Bio technology, e.g. GM foods...playing god - where is it going? What will be the consequences we have to face down the line?

10. If you got to change your name (first or last or both) what would you change it to? Well I am fine with my real name - Amelia but, when I did stand up comedy, my stage name was Mellow Milly.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:24 PM   #67
Head Chef

Here are my 10 questions.........

1. What is the best recipe you have? Duck confit (without all the fat though...marinading overnight with garlic, bayleaves, thyme and salt then slow cooking next day - divine flavour!)

2. What makes you embarassed? Getting a compliment.

3. What 3 things do you absolutely love/adore? The innocence of children, rainbows and kind deeds.

4. What has been a highlight of your life? After many, secret unrequited loves, finally having a boyfriend that I was in love with!

5. If your house was on fire (and no-one else inside or pets), what would you save? My diaires (they go back to my schooldays and I am very old now!)

6. What are 3 of your best character assets? Caring, witty and intelligent

7. What is your favourite alcoholic drink? Cocktails, i.e. Brandy Alexander

8. Picnic or party invitation? (Allowing for good weather). Picnic (better be a good one though!)

9. What is your favourite film? The Fisher King - a masterpiece that rightfully deserved its Oscar awards. Quirky, original, surreal, unconventional.

10. What do you want to accomplish? Being more spiritually unphased/serene.