"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 10-02-2008, 12:36 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
Short ribs aren't ever ready to eat in 1 1/2 hours, imho!
Yeah...you should have busted out the pressure cooker for those. lol

Old 10-02-2008, 12:56 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks for the loooong post, Allen. I know it took a lot of your time. I am going to bookmark this thread and the one you mentioned and go over them again for my next attempt.
And boy, you sure know how to use up a chicken!

So here's what I came up with.
After about another hour I figured the short ribs were done enough to be pulled and shredded. I kept looking at my food processor disaster simmering away and decided to pull out my stick blender and make that veggie slaw mixture disappear. That worked very well. And I had no idea that the stick blender would create a whirlpool like it did when it touched the bottom of the pot. Wow. Lots of power there.
Then I chopped up some more carrots and celery and added them along with the barley and shredded beef. I had a bowl and went to bed, not really decided on if it was great, or just good.

I just heated another bowl for lunch (no danish, Allen ) after skimming most of the top layer of congealed fat off. I'm "assuming" that was OK to skim off and not where all the flavor lie...... because it was still pretty tasty. Very beefy, but it tasted like it was missing something... maybe not enough thyme or parsley (all I had was dry), but I could taste a little flavor from the bay leaves, so that wasn't it. It tasted like it needed something "green". Ahhh, maybe more onion? I think that's the taste I am missing. Still, if I had to do it all over the exact same way, I would. I would just start making it a lot earlier in the day
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	beef and barley soup.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	5633  

Old 10-02-2008, 12:58 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
Yeah...you should have busted out the pressure cooker for those. lol
Smart a....
Old 10-02-2008, 01:48 PM   #34
Master Chef

you know .....if a dish seems like it's missing flavor try adding some garlic powder.......that usually spruces it up a bit.........if it's a sweet dish then add some vanilla........if you burn a dish add coca cola esp. if the recipe is tomato based........no kidding........
Old 10-02-2008, 01:56 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Smart a....
LOL! You know my sense of humor.

That soup/stew looks good to me though.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:11 PM   #36
Head Chef

Lots of great posts here,
The only thing that I can contribute, is to try to buy at least some of your meat products "bone in". First, it's usually cheaper and it really not that hard to de-bone with some basic knife skills when you get home. I always have at least three freezer bags in the freezer for meat, poultry and seafood bones. When a bag gets filled, I make a small batch of stock.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:15 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
Lots of great posts here,
The only thing that I can contribute, is to try to buy at least some of your meat products "bone in". First, it's usually cheaper and it really not that hard to de-bone with some basic knife skills when you get home. I always have at least three freezer bags in the freezer for meat, poultry and seafood bones. When a bag gets filled, I make a small batch of stock.
I really need to start doing that with the bones. What do you keep them in, just a freezer bag?
Old 10-02-2008, 03:49 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

John, after reading Allen's post I realized that I need to start doing that. Or rather, tell the butcher I buy quarters from that I want the bones for soup. Start saving chicken carcasses, too. I need a bigger freezer...
Old 10-02-2008, 05:18 PM   #39
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
I really need to start doing that with the bones. What do you keep them in, just a freezer bag?
Yeah Jeeks, Just a simple freezer bag. It really doesn't take me long to fill them up. I just try to remove as much air as possible to help reduce freezer burn. They really aren't in the freezer very long though as I like to use stock in place of water for lots of things besides soup. It's great for cooking rice, potatoes, veg, ect....
Old 10-02-2008, 05:24 PM   #40
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
John, after reading Allen's post I realized that I need to start doing that. Or rather, tell the butcher I buy quarters from that I want the bones for soup. Start saving chicken carcasses, too. I need a bigger freezer...
That's a good idea pacanis,
What the heck, when you buy a quarter of beef you pay for the whole thing. You may as well keep the bones also.

Tags
None