Making your own bouillon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msminnamouse

Assistant Cook
I would love some recipes for making your own bullion cubes. I mean those little dry cubes. Not recipes for cooking with them. I'm looking for recipes on how to make bullion cubes. Like turkey, chicken, beef.

Or really concentrated stock ice cubes.

And what are the dilutions for reconstituting it?

I know you can make stock, etc. and freeze it but I would rather not.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Honestly, I think it would just be easier to use cubed.

If you are making a stock, use the stock. Freeze the leftover.

Why make stock, to reduce it, to store it, to rehydrate it...seems almost counter productive to me, and a lot of work.

Wow, interesting. I do not have a recipe to make thouse cubes. But I am wondering why would you need some thing like that to be made at home?

I think it's an interesting idea.
I always have room to store dry ingredients, but even with a separate freezer, I find I am running out of room with the various containers of leftover this and that, plus the food. Condensing stock and dehydrating it for dry storage makes a little sense to me. Probably better than store bought with all the sodium.

My impression, take several handfulls of salt, add some kind of chicken flavor and let dry out. That's my impression of those cubes - expensive salt. Why not make a good double bullion from scratch, freeze it in ice trays and then store the cubes in good freezer bags? Like Charlie, I can't imagine making those terrrible dry things. But that's just me, and Charlie too I guess.

Since ingredients/flavors are concentrated, I would anticipate a freeze drying process is involved at some point, which is not something an individual can do.

I find there are products that chef's use that are far better (tasting) than bullion cubes.

I think it's an interesting idea.
I always have room to store dry ingredients, but even with a separate freezer, I find I am running out of room with the various containers of leftover this and that, plus the food. Condensing stock and dehydrating it for dry storage makes a little sense to me. Probably better than store bought with all the sodium.

That's exactly why I'm looking for a recipe. We actually have three freezers. Two regular ones and one huge one in the garage but no room.

My impression, take several handfulls of salt, add some kind of chicken flavor and let dry out. That's my impression of those cubes - expensive salt. Why not make a good double bullion from scratch, freeze it in ice trays and then store the cubes in good freezer bags? Like Charlie, I can't imagine making those terrrible dry things. But that's just me, and Charlie too I guess.

That's why I want to make my own... To omit the salt and preservatives.

Glace de viande.

Your are going to have to make the stock anyway so why not make the best?

Cut into cubes they freeze very well.

And are a delight.

Back
Top Bottom