"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 02-06-2010, 02:22 AM   #1
Master Chef

Mom's Ham and Bean Soup recipe

Posted the pic to this recipe in the "What's for dinner Thursday 2-4" thread and had a request for the recipe. Luckily someone else on a different board had asked the same thing about a year ago. I never had a recipe, just notes from my Mom since this is her recipe. I looked through the bean soup recipes here and I didn't see one just like hers, so I though I would pass along. Be sure to not use a "maple" or "brown sugar" ham...the more old-fashioned and smokey the better. Enjoy! (You know you will...)

MOM'S HAM AND BEAN SOUP

1 bag Navy beans (16 oz)
ham bone with meat
1 onion
pepper to taste
carrots, potatoes (quantity up to you)
fried bacon, cut in 1/4 inch pieces - save drippings
flour for roux

Soak beans overnight. Drain and set aside. Bring 6-8 cups water to boil with bone; skim soup, then add beans, onion and pepper. Meanwhile, fry bacon, remove from drippings and set bacon aside. Leave drippings in pan, turn heat to very low, add equal amount flour, and prepare roux, stirring frequently. The ultimate roux is toasty brown and almost powdery. Prepare at least until very thick and golden. Set aside.

While roux is cooking you can peel and cut potatoes and carrots. I like mine diced small, but you can make them a bit larger if you prefer. About an hour before soup is done remove ham from soup, add carrots and potatoes. When ham cools cut meat away from the bone and fat, add meat back to pot. When potatoes and carrots are tender bring soup temperature up, add roux and simmer until soup is thick.

Old 03-24-2016, 10:11 PM   #2
Master Chef

Bump.

Talked ham and bean soup to a very nice couple while shopping today. Floating this recipe up near the top in case she stops by looking for it. After all, I talk up Discuss Cooking when I shop to anyone who will listen...and, sometimes, even when they don't want to.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:19 AM   #3
Master Chef

Oooh, sounds wonderful CG...I LOVE ham and bean soup. Thanks for bumping this.

Pretty similar to what my own mom used to make, but without the potatoes. It's definitely got to have bacon! We're supposed to get a little cooler weather in the next few days....may have to make this.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:59 AM   #4
Master Chef

Reminds me of the days when our local butchers used to include a pound of beans or split peas with the purchase of a holiday ham!
Old 03-25-2016, 01:10 AM   #5
Master Chef

Cheryl, you don't have to add potatoes if you want it without. And if you're lacking a ham bone, a smoked shank will do. I sometimes use those bags of mixed beans for a ham-and-bean soup, but this recipe has a special flavor all its own. I've made it just once this winter, but I plan on making one more pot before the weather gets too warm. After seeing the weather report for the upcoming week, I think I'm running out of time!

Aunt Bea, you had good butchers. I don't remember ours ever doing that when I was a kid.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:15 AM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Aunt Bea, you had good butchers. I don't remember ours ever doing that when I was a kid.
Sounds like I was a kid before you were a kid!

I noticed this thread has had 2,778 views since it was originally posted, "Mom's Ham and Bean Soup" will be around for many years to come!

Tags
None