Mushroom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mad Cook

Master Chef
In the greengrocer's yesterday I picked up a huge punnet of mushrooms (about 2lbs) and made it into soup today.

I had some a packet of dried chanterelles mushrooms in the cupboard which needed using so put them to soak over-night in water.

Sliced the fresh mushrooms (took forever) and sauted (sorry, can't do acute accent there) them in part butter & part veg oil, until lightly browned. Removed mushrooms to soup pot with the drained chanterelles (saved the soaking liquid).

Chopped and "sweated" two large onions until soft. Tipped into pot with the mushrooms and chanterelles, added 2 pints veg stock (from Knorr cubes) plus the soaking liquid from the chanterelles (strained to remove any gritty bits), 3 bay leaves, heaped teaspoon of dried oregano, several cranks of the pepper mill but no salt at this stage.

Brought to the boil then turned down the heat to a slow simmer for about 1/2 an hour until the chanterelles were softened. Whizzed the contents of the pot with the stick blender until fairly smooth (this is a bit rustic). Tasted for salt and adjusted it with a little more. Added a small can of Carnation evaporated milk (not condensed milk) and heated it through. (I have absolutely no idea why I had a can of "evap" in my store cupboard as I never use it. However, it worked well in this soup.)

I had some for lunch today and decanted the rest into single portion "Lock 'n' Lock" containers to go in the freezer (if they last that long!). Made 4-5 portions (the bowl I ate was rather large!).

It was an experiment but it turned out really well. It had a rather sinister colour but mushrooms tend to do that.

Sounds wonderful - I love mushroom soup! Clever of you to freeze it for later as it's a lot of work to make.. You could add some diced potatoes or rice to it after thawing for a nice change up.

Sounds wonderful - I love mushroom soup! Clever of you to freeze it for later as it's a lot of work to make.. You could add some diced potatoes or rice to it after thawing for a nice change up.
I thought it might be a bit too simple for DC. The prep only took about 5-10 minutes and it simmered gently on the stove while I went into the sitting room to watch "Grimm" and I finished it in the advert interval.

I live alone and I can't be bothered with fiddly bits of cooking so I always make soups and stews to eat one and freeze 4 or 5 portions. Instant dinner and it also means I have emergency rations if friends turn up on the doorstep without warning. (Which they do because they know there's always food!)

Last edited:
Mad Cook - I do the same, make regular sized meals and eat a portion and freeze individual other portions. But there are some meals that don't freeze well - they do freeze but not well - so those I am trying to make into smaller recipes - not always successful ... :(

But back to your visitors -

Started doing the above at my boarding barn - one evening there was a huge power failure - 6 young adults from the barn next door were desperate to watch the hockey game on TV - They hauled out my generator, set up, hooked up and settled in and... Each had a bid on different meal for supper out of my freezer. My stove was/is propane so heating them were no problem. - They supplied the beer. Power came back at the end of the game - they did the dishes and went to the barn to give the last hay.
...and a very good time was had by all...

Mad Cook - I do the same, make regular sized meals and eat a portion and freeze individual other portions. But there are some meals that don't freeze well - they do freeze but not well - so those I am trying to make into smaller recipes - not always successful ... :(

But back to your visitors -

Started doing the above at my boarding barn - one evening there was a huge power failure - 6 young adults from the barn next door were desperate to watch the hockey game on TV - They hauled out my generator, set up, hooked up and settled in and... Each had a bid on different meal for supper out of my freezer. My stove was/is propane so heating them were no problem. - They supplied the beer. Power came back at the end of the game - they did the dishes and went to the barn to give the last hay.
...and a very good time was had by all...
We had a major power cut over Christmas a few years ago - lasted 3 nights due to severe snow storm, difficulty pin-pointing the seat of the problem and the time taken to dig the hole. I became known as "the candle lady" as I am a bit of a candle hoarder and had dozens of them. Made quite a lot of friends that Christmas and even now I've moved I still get Christmas cards saying "Thanks for the candles"!

You must have been a Girl Guide/Girl Scout too!

I was a Brownie while in Canada, a Girl Scout while in the States, a Guide while in Europe, then a Lieutenant and Captain back in Canada.
While my Mom (as Captain) was teaching her Guides campfire badges - I was running around as a Brownie helping the older girls to start their fires with only the two matches allowed. (or was it 3?)

LOL :LOL:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom